McAlister Electrostatic Amp
Nov 10, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #106 of 130
Add Pink Floyd 'Meddle' to the spectacular list.

Given the actions of whomever, this is my last post in this thread as well. I will write and post a review in two weeks for the EA-6 ONLY AFTER I have fully discussed my observations with Peter.

Nov 10, 2006 at 12:01 PM Post #107 of 130
Should see if one of your locals has an O2 they can add to the mix. The HE60 doesn't strike me as a good rock choice in comparison but to each their own.

Nov 10, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #108 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Removed some of my posts from this thread as someone emailed them to Peter and they were taken completely out of context...

Well that was a pretty low handed deed!
rolleyes.gif

You know there's a big difference in someone bashing a vendor and someone informing the rest of us on what to expect if we order from him. Whoever did this obviously has no real sense of what this community is about.

Nov 10, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #109 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
Should see if one of your locals has an O2 they can add to the mix. The HE60 doesn't strike me as a good rock choice in comparison but to each their own.

In addition to the ES-1 and 007t, there will be 2 sets of Omega II and a set of Omega I, and another set of HE60.

Nov 10, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #110 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1

BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.... those who are familiar with my sweet spot know I prefer not only loud, but also snotty. Jet, Velvet Revolver, AC/DC, Audioslave and Mudvayne have been almost unaccepteble in any sense, to me. So, not sure if this is voicing, or just poorly mastered music that sounds good on lesser equiptment. These actually sounded better (well, at unacceptably low volumes) on the HEV70 - totally disturbing.

What exactly is wrong listening to these albums via EA-6? Too harsh/choppy treble/upper mids? Not enough drive and crunch (in bass especially)? Too much/too little bass power? Too raw, not raw enough?

And I do agree about tube rolling. I haven't yet run into a single tubed equipment that does not change in some significant way by tube rolling.

Nov 10, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #111 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
You know there's a big difference in someone bashing a vendor and someone informing the rest of us on what to expect if we order from him. Whoever did this obviously has no real sense of what this community is about.

I can certainly understand how Peter would take my comments the way he did given the fact that he was just emailed a few slightly negative posts. He does not read head-fi, so he misses the many posts [in this and other threads] where I was defending him or recommending his amps to others. I have a huge amount of respect for Peter and it was a painfull conversation to have with him.

Hopefully in the future if someone has a problem with one of my posts they will PM me rather than ratting me out.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 10, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #112 of 130
Quote:

I can certainly understand how Peter would take my comments the way he did given the fact that he was just emailed a few slightly negative posts. He does not read head-fi, so he misses the many posts [in this and other threads] where I was defending him or recommending his amps to others. I have a huge amount of respect for Peter and it was a painfull conversation to have with him.

Hopefully in the future if someone has a problem with one of my posts they will PM me rather than ratting me out.
rolleyes.gif

yeah that's not cool. the conversation between a buyer and a manufacturer is an A and B. forum trolls should C their way outta it.

Nov 10, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #113 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
What exactly is wrong listening to these albums via EA-6? Too harsh/choppy treble/upper mids? Not enough drive and crunch (in bass especially)? Too much/too little bass power? Too raw, not raw enough?

Too harsh/choppy treble/upper mids, not enough drive and crunch, too little bass, oddly balanced (or not balanced at all), and really raw sounding. It's like bad distortion, where the phones break from being over driven... which, as I have contended prior, may be a limitation of the HE60.

That is what I (with help) have to figure out - BUT, it didn't happen with the HEV70.

Nov 10, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #114 of 130
Did a headfi member send Peter PMs between you and that member? If that was done, then it's really shameful. But, as far as our postings in regular (i.e., open) threads, they are clearly not confidential, and Peter (like everyone else) is free to read them. In fact, he is probably a member of Head-Fi, and consequently monitors threads for postings regarding his equipment, and he probably also receives references to such threads from headfi members that own his equipment. I recently received a PM from another manufacturer, in which he objected to some of my postings regarding one of his products. We restricted our communications to PMs, which was fine, and I had no objection to his monitoring headfi threads for comments regarding his products. In fact, that's a good way for manufacturers to obtain information for improving their products, with the result that we receive better products and services.

Quote:

rolleyes.gif

Nov 10, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #115 of 130
Kinda of have a picture of what's happening but will not voice my thoughts. Instead, I'm going to look forward to reading up on pabbi1 observations/ review of his new EA-6!

This should be an exciting time for McAlister Audio and the Head-Fi community and I can't wait to personally audition Jay's “Massive Attack” tomorrow.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #116 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
Did a headfi member send Peter PMs between you and that member? If that was done, then it's really shameful. But, as far as our postings in regular (i.e., open) threads, they are clearly not confidential, and Peter (like everyone else) is free to read them. In fact, he is probably a member of Head-Fi, and consequently monitors threads for postings regarding his equipment, and he probably also receives references to such threads from headfi members that own his equipment. I recently received a PM from another manufacturer, in which he objected to some of my postings regarding one of his products. We restricted our communications to PMs, which was fine, and I had no objection to his monitoring headfi threads for comments regarding his products. In fact, that's a good way for manufacturers to obtain information for improving their products, with the result that we receive better products and services.

If that's the case, the perp should assume that Peter will find and read the post on his own, not take the slimey step of forwarding it to him or calling his attention to it. That's where it becomes foul smelling.

Sorry for helping to derail the thread. I'm done scolding.

Nov 10, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #117 of 130
"Perp", "foul smelling"; these are rather demonizing statements. Were confidential PMs forwarded to Peter? Were individuals' postings extracted from this thread, and then sent to Peter? Or was Peter merely informed that this thread exists, and that there are other threads that include discussions of his equipment? Is Peter unaware of headfi threads that include discussions of his equipment? I am personally aware that other manufacturers, such as Mikhail, Ray, John, Justin, Rudi, Jan, etc., etc., read headfi threads that contain discussions of their equipment. So, what's so special about having Peter read such threads? IMO, people who post on threads should have the integrity of their convictions, and should therefore not shirk responsibility for what they post. Since our threads are in public forums, and since communication on them is not confidential, what's the point of directing derogatory terms to others, when one is embarrassed by ones own statements in ones own public postings?

Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
If that's the case, the perp should assume that Peter will find and read the post on his own, not take the slimey step of forwarding it to him or calling his attention to it. That's where it becomes foul smelling.

Sorry for helping to derail the thread. I'm done scolding.

Nov 10, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #118 of 130
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

See above.

Nov 10, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #119 of 130
mikeg - I'm not going to reiterate what I've already said. Besides, akwok has already done so for me.
wink.gif

I have no problem with how Peter reacted to the information he was given. I have issue with the way that information reached Peter and the light it was portrayed in. Anyone who actually participates in Head-Fi and knows me would have a better idea of how those posts were intended. Have I not defended Peter multiple times in other threads when I thought people were giving him a hard time? Who else do you know around here that recommends his amps due to their excellent sound and fair pricing? Do you really think that I have something against Peter and was trying to damage his business in some way?
rolleyes.gif

Nov 10, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #120 of 130
I think the issue was how it was received not how it was intended. From this side of the screen it sure read like a bash session on McAlister Audio business practices and honesty. Not from philodox alone but as a general tone of the thread as a whole.

I'm a little disappointed in the early impressions of the EA-6 but will wait and see how things pan out in comparison to other similar amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back