MB Quart headphones. QP 400 and QP 450 PRO any good?
Oct 19, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are MB really producing cans or they use some OEM?

Honestly I don't know. One thing I do know for sure is that they seem to have a particular lineup of headphones for every decade or two. They have been making headphones for quite a while. I don't think they have any headphones in production anymore though, which is quite sad since they are my favorite brand.

Oct 19, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #6 of 7
They make the headphone themselves. They have done so since 70's. MB Quart/PMB were in direct competition with Beyer and made a lot of very innovative designs, I would say more innovative than Beyer, as they made orthodynamic, electrostatic and various dynamic headphones including Float frames. This was in a way their downfall, they were spread-out very thin and could not capture one particular market and lost market share, so now their headphone segment is centered only on Pro headphones for studio and listening stations use.

QP400 are very similar to QP95 and are the current top of the line open model, QP450 are the corresponding closed model. The sound signature according to other are typically MB Quartish dry and precise with aggressive fast attack. I had QP70, closed model similar to QP250, and they were very nice and fast, but a bit dry, over all I like DT831 better. I also have QP85 and they are one of the most interesting headphones I own. Huge soundstage, tight bass that cuts out around 35Hz and very precise and cold sound with articulate and dry mids. I like them for acoustic jazz more than any other dynamic headphone I have. If you can get QP95 or QP400 cheap I would go for it.

P.S. Hope the Wikiphonia is helpful
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly I don't know. One thing I do know for sure is that they seem to have a particular lineup of headphones for every decade or two. They have been making headphones for quite a while. I don't think they have any headphones in production anymore though, which is quite sad since they are my favorite brand.

Looks like their headphone related site is closed. Wow. Very sad, a chapter in headphone history is gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back