Mayweather vs. Ortiz
Sep 22, 2011 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TheGomdoRi

100+ Head-Fier
Hmm.. it's been a while since the fight but didn't see a thread ... so here goes
biggrin.gif

Just a little backdrop

Everybody knows that Mayweather is dodging Pacquiao for a while now and it'll probably be the biggest fight in our lifetime (If it happens of course lol but there is too much money revolved around the fight,so I figure it's bound to happen someday).

​
Dodge this man all your career, call yourself "undefeated"

Anyways, Mayweather had an undefeated record of 41-0 (last fight being against Mosley) and came out of retirement to fight - a much younger fighter who was bigger than him who had a record for 29-2. The last 14/17 were KOs I believe. Even though he's not Pacquiao, I was pretty pumped and was really excited to see the fight.

Some Numbers

Floyd Mayweather
Height: 5'8
Arm: 26"
Weight (at weigh in): 146.5
Weight (night of): 150

Victor Ortiz
Height: 5'9
Arm: 23.5"
Weight (at weigh in): 147
Weight (night of): 164

The Fight

The fight was going pretty well, Mayweather didn't outclass Ortiz at all as many speculated but really kept Ortiz at bay, and neutralized his offense with his quick speed and by leading with the right. Ortiz however still tried to keep up in speed and tried to over-muscle Mayweather.
Up to round 3 I'd have to say Mayweather was dominating in points, but in early moments of round 4, Ortiz was coming back strong and for a second I thought he was going to knock Mayweather out. Until...

The Silly Incident

Ortiz had Mayweather where he wanted him and was landing nice power punches which forced Mayweather against the ropes. Until... Out of screwing NOWHERE, he launches a full-out headbutt to Mayweather's face a la Zidane. Joe Cortez steps in and breaks the two, and when Ortiz went to apologize and gave Mayweather a hug, Mayweather socks Ortiz twice (while his hands were dropped down) and knocks him out.

Post-fight thoughts/Discussion

- (As much as I dislike Mayweather's obnoxiousness) I honestly believed that Mayweather was going to win regardless, and Ortiz couldn't match him in skill, but when he pulled the two sucker punches on Ortiz I lost all respect for him and honestly felt pretty bad for all the fans who attended the MGM to see the fight live
- The post-fight interview was a disgrace
- Some speculate that Ortiz took a dive
- I was pretty pissed the fight ended like that and left a real sour feeling in my mouth after watching Mayweather (41-0) punch out a dude with his hands dropped, real classy

Share your thoughts/opinions!

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #2 of 5
I'm not a huge sports fan...but I thought there must have been a pool nearby because Ortiz certainly went for a dive.

Just my opinion of course. To me, it was a very disappointing end.

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #3 of 5
I found the win to be fair

But the way Mayweather went about it was childish.

I was trained for boxing since I was in middle school, it was a way to "vent my aggression"

So I'm still up for boxing and in my weight class for it, but frankly I'm scared of what people can do in my class.

The audience doesn't understand that a boxing match, isn't a simple little fight. You're putting your life on the line. One little screw up, wrong twitch or loosening of your muscles can cause something to wrong. A single hit can decide the match. Or death.

Ortiz just let his guard down at the wrong moment. Probably from being tired or he blackout out. Then Mayweather took advantage of this. It's the same as finding a good opening in Ortiz's guard, just bluntly obvious.

But the way Mayweather went about the win was childish. He should have felt that he didn't fight with all his ability to win. I would have apologized for the cheap shot, yet not have asked for a rematch. It was his win, but the way he went about it was like childish.

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 5
Was it ever determined if the ref said fight or not?  "Defend yourself at all times" makes sense IF THE FIGHT HAS BEGUN!!

And why was he looking at the judges at that time?  Another ref or judge is the one who began the count up to like, three or four.

I've also read that the ref has been part of other shady fights.

The post fight interview was a total disgrace.  But funny when the old white guy said something like, "If I was only 50 years younger, I'd kick your ass!"

I deemed it a sad day for boxing.

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Was it ever determined if the ref said fight or not?  "Defend yourself at all times" makes sense IF THE FIGHT HAS BEGUN!!

And why was he looking at the judges at that time?  Another ref or judge is the one who began the count up to like, three or four.

I've also read that the ref has been part of other shady fights.

The post fight interview was a total disgrace.  But funny when the old white guy said something like, "If I was only 50 years younger, I'd kick your ass!"

I deemed it a sad day for boxing.

He never stopped the match. So it's on after he said they could fight, and he did.

The interview was conducted in a serious manner. Mayweather tried to show off himself to avoid directly answering the question. But little by little, he cracked then just broke open like a child.

Isn't Pacquiao the next to dethrone Mayweather? That boy is built to fight Mayweather, as long as he can out weight him like Ortiz did. If he can pull that off and get inside, Mayweather's finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back