Maybe the newest HP1000 owner?
Jan 31, 2008 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

sprout

New Head-Fier
Some of you might have noticed that a set of Joseph Grado signature headphone, the HP1000, were recently up for a possible sale on the FS forums. They were mine.

However, I've decided to keep them, which may come as a no-brainer to some of you, but keep in mind that I'm a very very budget minded grad student. I had felt that I could use my acquisition of such a rare piece of gear to my advantage. I thought that I might sell the headphones so that I might take a small chunk out of my loan debt, but my thread was closed by a moderator.

You see, with my intent of profit, I wasn't without consideration for the phones or their rightful fans. I had intended to sell them to someone who would appreciate them as they were meant to be. My intention was to keep them with the Head-fi community, but that didn't work out. Actually, I guess in a way it did. Though, I am a junior member, I've been lurking on the Head-fi forums for quite sometime. So, I guess I could consider myself a member of the community however passive my membership may be.

So, anyway, I'd like to become more active with the community, which is why I've come to confess my love for these cans.

BTW, the HP1000 are quite a jump from my previous best, SR80.

Oh, I might mention that I'm sensitive to flaming so please nurture my attempt at becoming a more active member.

And another thing: I've contacted Joe and I plan to send them into him for a full servicing/tuneup.

sprout

Jan 31, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 13
Excellent decision! Congrats on having Joe fix them up for you too, smart choice. You won't go wrong with these and now you just need to properly drive them with a sweet amp!

Jan 31, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 13
stoked.

Jan 31, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 13
Thanks zanth! I've actually been reading a number of your reviews and your interview with John. I've always been a Grado fan, but after acquiring the HP2 and reading your reviews/interview, I'd say home a huge Grado fan. Grado just has a mystique, both sound wise and historically, that other manufacturers just can't touch.

I noticed that the Melos sha-1 is highly recommended for Grados. If I'm to buy an amp, I'd like it to be less than 500.00. Would the Melos fall in that category? They seem to be pretty hard to come by.

Also, I've got a major case of the headphone bug. I'm actually going to pickup a pair of Grado while I'm waiting. The SR80 are great, but I've been looking to upgrade for some time. I'm thinking of getting a pair of RS1 or GS1000 while waiting for the HP1000. Of the two, which would you choose. I know, judging from your review of the GS1000, that you really like the GS1000, but do you think someone like myself would be better off saving a bit of money and going with the RS1.

sprout

Jan 31, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 13
A Melos, even used, would cost more than $500.

The GS-1000 is the least Grado-like Grado. If you like the Grado house sound, stick with the RS-1s. An amp under $500 that does very well with Grados, especially the RS-1, is the EC/SS which you can pick up from TTVJ or used in the FS forums here.

Jan 31, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #8 of 13
A Melos SHA-1 can be had for $300 if one is patient. Of course the modifications in the future (which I assume you would want) would cost a bit. Still, few think it is not the best amp for the HP-1000's. Looking for the Grado HPA-1 isn't a bad idea either. There are also the Headamp line of Gilmore amps that really shine with the HP1000 or rather, make the HP-1000 shine.

Jan 31, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #9 of 13
Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Concerning the amp, I'm looking for a tube amp. Should I change my priorities based on my limited budget, or do you think that I could find a decent tube rig for 500.00 or less.

Also, I currently have a Headroom micro amp with desktop module. Is this not well matched for the Grado.

Another thing, my main source is my iMac. I do a lot of listening while doing research/studying at the computer. However, I don't have a DAC and was wondering if its very necessary. I would also prefer that the amp be desktop size so that I could situate it next to the computer.

sprout

Feb 1, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #10 of 13
The Headroom products do not have the best synergy with Grado headphones but there are worse. I would actually think about getting a matching desktop DAC from Headroom to use as a source instead of getting a new amp.

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #11 of 13
I am usually all about source first but in the case of the HP-1000's you require an awful lot of current to get those things hopping properly. The Maple Tree Audio line of amps do very well with their current output at low Z, just right for the HP-1000's in and around $500.

Ideally you would have something like the EAR HP4 (crazy pricey) or a Melos (hybrid) to get the HP-1000's sounding their best. Few tube amps can really do them justice but they do benefit very much from them.

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Melos, even used, would cost more than $500.

The GS-1000 is the least Grado-like Grado. If you like the Grado house sound, stick with the RS-1s. An amp under $500 that does very well with Grados, especially the RS-1, is the EC/SS which you can pick up from TTVJ or used in the FS forums here.

Umm, no not really. They have been going for under $500 on the f/s forums, in fact there may be one for sale now.

Oh, and I second the idea of investing in a high quality source (pass over the budget dacs and sound cards) before an amp. It will make a MUCH bigger difference than the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back