Maybe I'm an idiot
Sep 14, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 12
you mean making a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter cable, female-to-male?

I don't recall any threads on that (then again, I admit I don't usually read DIY threads on cables), but it shouldn't be too hard to make. After you understand the basics of making cables, it's pretty much obvious how you'd do it.

Again, I do more electronics than cabling, so I don't remember any part numbers/brands off the top of my head--I'm sure someone else here can tell them to you. Basically you'd get a 1/4" female plug, a 1/8" male plug, take some cable (canare stare quad, probably) and solder left-to-left, right-to-right, ground-to-ground, etc. . .

The 1/4" female plug isn't all too common, but I've definitely seen them around. Here's one I found off a quick search from markertek (you should probably check the datasheets/etc first to make sure it works here): (EDIT: never mind, it was a mono plug)
I'm sure there's better options--you'll have to look around a bit

Sep 14, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 12
Yep, that's exactly what I'm looking to make.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll do some more searching and wotnot

Sep 16, 2007 at 9:36 AM Post #4 of 12
just have a look at the "How to make an interconnect step-by-step"-stickied thread at the top of this page... all you have to do is follow the directions for a mini-mini but switch one of the mini-plugs for a female 1/4" plug and you're done

hope it works out fine for you and you enjoy building it, as there are lots and lots of interesting DIY-projects out there

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #6 of 12
Thats a legitimate question...
So you're not an idiot!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless there is a size limitation, you could go to your local Radio Shack store and buy such an adapter which is all molded into a single plug.

274-366:
pRS1C-2160376w345.jpg

While I loathe to disagree with amb, I definitely recommend an adapter cable over one of these adapter plugs - these plugs tend to put a lot of stress on the 1/8" jack (weight and length add up to a good amount of torque - really bad if you bump the end) and this can cause problems, particularly on tightly packed electronics like portable players.

Sep 17, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #8 of 12
Sep 17, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I loathe to disagree with amb, I definitely recommend an adapter cable over one of these adapter plugs - these plugs tend to put a lot of stress on the 1/8" jack (weight and length add up to a good amount of torque - really bad if you bump the end) and this can cause problems, particularly on tightly packed electronics like portable players.

Yeah, i hate putting a 5-inch handle on a plug that tiny.

Sep 17, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #10 of 12
No problem... just thought I'd save the OP some hassle of building something that could be picked up cheap at a nearby Radio Shack. I agree that the adapter plugs are clumsy if used in portable applications.

The Sennheiser adapter cable is a good one.

Sep 17, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #11 of 12
I'm waiting for supplies to make one right now. An interconnect is a great idea. Or if you're not the DIY type, get a regular headphone extension cable, which comes with most low end phones nowadays, and the adapter, that way, you'll relieve the stress on the port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back