Maybe an old topic. But I have a Nuforce HDP, which one am I better with DT880 250ohm or 600ohm?
Feb 1, 2012 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

miyinan

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

This is maybe an old topic, and I have done some research here as well. Based on what's been said here on head-fi, the 600 ohm version is better than the 250 ohm, though not by much. But becuase I am planning to get a used pair, so the price difference is not much either. So why not get the 600 ohm version?? Well, because although Nuforce says the HDP will drive up to 600 ohm headphones, I am still a little concerned that the HDP will not drive it well. I remember seeing thread saying the 250 ohm DT 880 is harder to drive than the 300 ohm Senn HD650.

I am not considering other headphones for now. I owned HD580 and K701 but didn't like either of them. I really liked my HF2 but had to sell them due to the comfort issue.The ESW9 was sweet but not airy enough for me and same goes to the D2000 (of course, they're both closed back..lol).

And I am not considering other DAC/AMP either, because this would be my last try to full size cans. If it doesn't work out, I am selling it to downgrade to a udac and settled on my IEMs.

So, here is the question, with my HDP, which DT880 should I go for? 250 ohm version or 600 ohm version?

Thanks in advance!

Lee:)

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 3
You could go with the 600Ohm model if you want but the 250Ohm model will be easier to drive from your amp.

And yes the 250Ohm DT880 is harder to drive than the 300Ohm HD600. It has to do with the sensitivity. The DT880 being 96db is pretty low for a dynamic. This, along with the impedance, makes the headphones need for voltage.

Looking at the amp it has a high output impedance which means the headphones need to be at least 80Ohms. This be because the output impedance can cause nasty effect on the sound if the headphone has low impedance. So you should be safe. And also your headphone should be getting at least 150mw of power which is more than enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back