MAYA U5 - External Sound Card and DAC - Fantastic VFM
Oct 1, 2011 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rgrgrg

New Head-Fier
continuing the previous review given here to a very affordable external sound Card by Audiotrak. :) been wanting to add my impressions of this card
http://www.head-fi.org/t/569727/audiotrak-maya-u5

1. Technical Specifications

The MAYA U5 is an all-around external sound card. it is based on VIA's VT1728A Chipset.

It will fit many uses: HTPC computers, listening to headphones and as a 5.1 Digital-in/Digital-out versatile sound card.

Thanks to its fantastic 110 dB SNR Ratio - it is a must have for any Headphones enthusiasts.

Digital Outputs - 1 (Optical)

Digital Inputs - 1 (Optical)

Analog Outputs - 5.1 (3x3.5mm Stereo Outputs for analog 5.1 Speaker Setting), 1 Headphone Output (Amplified!)

Analog Inputs - 1 Mic Input, 1 Line In Input

The card also has AC3 Pass Through - so it allows connecting Digital Audio Receiver - for watching Blu-Ray Films and DVDs without any sound quality loss.

Along with its being a DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) the board design for the card also includes an Anti Pop Circuit - that will eliminate any crackle, clicks

2. Packaging

Packaging is very compact - dimensions are 5.9 x 5.9 x 1.8 inch (15 x 15 x 4.5 cm).

That reflects the surprisingly small size of the sound card itself.

Packaging is well tight and holds the sound card perfectly and firmly on shipping.

Inside package was sealed with label from factory with warning to keep the item away from magnets or electromagnetic or electrostatic items.

While opening the inside box, I was a bit surprised of the small form factor of this sound card. 3.9 x 2.4 x 0.8 inch (10x6x2 cm). Package includes Sound card, with a USB 2.0 (A-B) apporved cable 4.9 feet (1.5 m) in length.

The package also includes User manual, with detailed information about connectors, Hookup setup, Driver Installation and Service guide (2 Years warranty)

Also added a caution information must be taken if card is set to 5.1 setup. where 24-bit might not work normally due to limited bandwith of USB Bus controller. also it is advice to connect USB device seperatly (without other devices such as keyboard or mouse to the same USB hub) - to avoid acceeding of USB bandwith.

And of course the Driver& Software CD

3. Closer Look

Front Connectors include:

Line-In, Mic in, Headphones (left to right)

Back Connectors include:

Optical in, Optical out, USB B connector (in the middle), 5.1 analog output (Front, Center\Woofer, Rear ),

Connector Layout on this card is superb, and you can see that is was done carefully.

Since I use my headphones alot (connecting various models for different types of music I was very happy to see that like all AUDIOTRAK products, all connectors and terminals are very durable !).

Overall connectors are firm, nothing loose, nothing is misplaced in this tiny sound card.

Important Issue - in the very center of this sound card there is a red activity LED . It is still when no processing is dont in the card, and blinks while the sound card is used.

also here, the design is perfect - since I couldn't imagine this led on the front of this card blinking in my eyes.

This way I could put the sound card very close to me on the desk. due to the dark tone of the plastic case it is also dimmed perfectly.

4. Driver and Software
4.1 Software Installation

Installing the driver is extremely easy and hussle-free. within 4 clicks from starting the setup from supplied CD, and after a proper restart to ensure drivers loaded - everything was up and running.

4.2 Up and Running - Software Impression

Software is clean and easy to setup - with very little to know in order to find the proper setting that you like best.

Setting is sorted via Vertical tabs - very easy to navigate and setup.

Speaker settings leaves no place for doubts - and gives the option to choose between 2 Speakers (stereo) and 5.1 (surround) Speakers setting.

Stereo Expender feature works flawlessly .

Also, while choosing Speaker settings - it is recommended to also set up Speaker Options. If large Speakers are connected, than it is advised to choose "Full Range Speakers" - to Drive the speakers to their full potential.

Speaker Options - in 2 Speakers setting:

Speaker Options - in 5.1 Speaker Setting

The difference in setting large/small speakers is noticable - and I could easily tell this difference.

After Selecting Speaker setting, we can select Sample rate and Bit Depth from dedicated area in the Mixer.

Most of the testing I did on a 24bit/48kHz setting - due to connecting headphones and wanting to hear richer and broader sounds.

I did not try to exceed USB bandwith, as advice in the info added from the manufacturer. (so while working on 5.1 Setting, setting was set to 16bit/44.1kHz)

There is alot of misconception with bit depth - Everyone should remember that a CD quality is 16 bit/44.1kHz (and above 48kHz it is very hard to tell the difference)

More important than the bit rate is the SNR which is fantastic on this card (110dB -no noticable noise what-so-ever !)

The software also includes implementation of QSound (by QSound Labs). This feature which includes the QX, QSizzle (more treble), QRumble (more Bass) - works fantastic especially in IEMs (in ear monitors) and headphones. It worked less better in those than on a Audio Receiver / Speakers setting - for that I used the regular EQ.

5. Performance

Performance in Movies

I was successfuly able to test the DTS pass through on several movies I played via an external Blu-Ray Drive I have.

Two of the best films I know for this are AVATAR and Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Connected the sound card to Harman Kardon Receiver - and managed to acheive Pass through for the 5.1 DTS quite easily. I used several software such as Cyberlink Power DVD (which plays Blue Ray) and POT player (freeware)

I was happy I could use this sound card for this purpose, since I do enjoy good films on my computer from time to time (mostly HD mkv files I rip myself from blu-ray discs)

Performance in Music

Since I like broad range of musical tastes, I had to test the sound card on a Stereo Setup - using full range speakers and using IEM and headphones.

Generally, I prefer Headphones (semi-open) for use with my computer. In this review, I used Grado SR125, Yamaha RH5MA and my true-love for many years - Koss PortaPro.

I am a true believer in VFM (Value for money!) - this way I don't have to spend all my money on one thing, and can enjoy lots of good little things :)

all in all, I generally test audio equipment (sound cards, Speakers, DAC, and headphones) with several music types:

1. Wide Range Musicality - Yanni - Dare to Dream

On this CD sound was so crisp, I could hear all parts (and mostly tested with track "Aria" of this CD). Vocal range was seperated perfectly. My headphones were driven to nearly maximum of their power. I could hear low parts quite well. On bad sound equipment, low parts tend to mix with mid-range and they quite dissappear, taking some of the magic in this music.

2. Classical Orchestrated Music - Vienna Philharmonic - Carlos Kleiber - Beethoven Symphonies 5 & 7.

This is the ultimate Clasical album. Powerful music (5th) as well as Emotional (7th). This CD reflects the richness in classical symphonies and classical music. a true masterpiece. Also here, no disappointment from this marvelous sound card.

again, due to QSound features - I was able to expand lower part (QRumble) - it was wonderful ! I was finally able to enjoy this cd right.

3. Electronic & Vocal - Groove Armada - Vertigo

Fantastic Electro Material - holds alot of respect for sounds of the 70's and 80's with drum beats from the 90's. Great Vocals and most importantly - uncomperable atmosphere. I especially like the track "Pre 63" - great groove.

The QSizzle (QSound feature) here became handy, while I was able to compare the high range to the low (since it's a very contrast track - lots of difference between high and low)

4. Instrumental - Buckethead - Electric Tears

This Album is electrifying ! Better than colma and other of his other great works. Buckethead shows great musical sense and patterns that gets really deep into the soul. Quiet and almost meditative electric guitar tracks. The perfect album for a chilly night. very mature sound. Guitar sound (especially electric guitar) is fantastic in pointing out out of pitch sound (it will sound either muffled or wither "too sharp")

I am happy to confirm that also here, the sound card was able to deliver pure 48 kHz quality sound (which is better than 96 kHz with static noise and other unwanted sounds appearing on tracks)

I love this card.

(coming soon - the screen shots from Spectrum Analysis software SpectraLAB - proving this card unbeatable SNR)

6. Conclusion
This sound card was exactly what I was looking for.

I searched for an all-around sound card, that will be able to drive my IEMs and headphones, as well as being able to connect to an audio Receiver on a 5.1 Setup.

This is a perfect implementation of the idea of a DAC which also acts as a reliable and stable Sound card.

Again, due to it's ability to provide 110 dB (clear, no hiss, clicks or pops) - I found myself using this card alot ! also on my laptop at work, listening to music. I will order another one very soon :) and will recommend this card to anyone who is also looking for great sound card at an unbeatable price!

Link to Manufacturer's Site

Users who are viewing this thread

Back