may need to replace DAC and Earphones, also thinking of AMP
Dec 14, 2019 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

drjoms

New Head-Fier
Hi guys and girls!

I have SH HD598 + Asus Xonar DX.

And both are on last breath.(power cable connector is getting dodgy for years. HD598 are simply physically worn out, 5+ at very least years of service, more like 7+ now that i think of it)
I have read that Xonar DX outputs around up to 100Ohm. And HD598 is 50 Ohm. Is my understanding correct that I got away with relatively good quality sound purely by luck, that my DAC does provide reasonable amount of power?(hence I did not need AMP)

Which brings me to my next question.
What would be "upgrade path" for cans? I don't want to spend more than 400 euro on cans alone. I am rather curious about SH HD600. I don't care about bells and whistles like microphones(got crappy but reliable external one). It will be heavy duty PC earphones, for all aspects of usability.(music, movies, games).
HD600 requires 300Ohm.

So looks like AMP is a requirement. I'd love to get away with max 200 euro AMP, if at all.

I have seen Sony cans, not sure which exactly version/model. They 30Ohm requirement. They had 20-100khz sound(yep, not a mistake). I am very suspicious smth under 400$ can deliver that much, and i don't think it will deliver promised quality.
. Lets just say, while I am not audiophile, I am not your nooby/virgin when comes to entry level stuff. I want something similar in quality that I already have.

DAC/AMP combo is not an option for me, cause I am on Linux. Its it's own problem, which I handle myself by means of getting DAC that 100% works and separate AMP(it requires no software).

I have had very sour experience with cheap portable AMP, hissing noise, it was less when it was charging, but it was still there all the same.

And side question, do AMP's add any lag?(i am gamer, so anything bigger or equal to 0.1 second is BAD), I suspect no, but still, would love to hear answer here.

Suggestions?

Dec 14, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #2 of 9
So you play FPS gaming, using Linux?

Replace the old Xonar DX with an Xonar DX that is in better shape (used, off eBay)
Get a Schiit Magni 3 or JDS Atom headphone amplifier (connect to Xonar DX).
Headphone? Sennheiser HD599?

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 9
So you play FPS gaming, using Linux?

Replace the old Xonar DX with an Xonar DX is better shape (used off eBay)
Get a Schiit Magni 3 or JDS Atom headphone amplifier (connect to Xonar DX).
Headphone? Sennheiser HD599?
Thanks for suggestion. 599 is not that much different from 598
Do you think i needed AMP for 598?
Ill look into AMPS you suggested.

Dec 14, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for suggestion. 599 is not that much different from 598
Do you think i needed AMP for 598?
Ill look into AMPS you suggested.
The 50-Ohm HD598/HD599 are fairly easy to drive.......but.
The Xonar DX's front speaker/headphone jack has a high output impedance (100-Ohms), so it would cause headphones to get a bloated (louder, less detailed) bass.
The HD598 having more bass might be a plus to HD598 users.
A head amp like the Magni or Atom, with their really low output impedance (<1-Ohm), will help bring out the detail in the audio, which is a plus for me.
Headphone wise, I like to recommend the Soundmagic HP 200 headphones, a more lively sound then the HD598/HD599.

Dec 15, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 9
The 50-Ohm HD598/HD599 are fairly easy to drive.......but.
The Xonar DX's front speaker/headphone jack has a high output impedance (100-Ohms), so it would cause headphones to get a bloated (louder, less detailed) bass.
The HD598 having more bass might be a plus to HD598 users.
A head amp like the Magni or Atom, with their really low output impedance (<1-Ohm), will help bring out the detail in the audio, which is a plus for me.
Headphone wise, I like to recommend the Soundmagic HP 200 headphones, a more lively sound then the HD598/HD599.

input appreciated...
Suddenly...

My Sonar DX is dying more and more on me. That power connector is getting worse and worse. Usually one kick is all it takes, but it gets worse and worse. This morning I had trouble starting this bitch up. Hence, I will not get other Sonar DX. I have been using it for years.

But I want to see into USB2/USB3 DAC. There is other reason.

Sonar DX is PCI-Express card. That means it shares lane with my GPU. And I am not too happy about it. USB may not share. I am not 100% on that. But at least I will not have this bull issue with power cable to sound card.

From looks of it i need some DAC + AMP. :frowning2:
so my whole set up needs to be replaced.

And yes, i play fps games.

your input clarified a lot from me. I did not expect that output from DAC will have "bad" impedance.

I can't accept just every suggestion for DAC+AMP now, because I am on Linux.
I am seriously considering separate units, as well as combos. I will open up new thread.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 9
Dual graphics cards would take the same slots as a graphics card the the Xonar DX card and a sound card would use less bandwidth then a graphics card.
The older PCI slots worked in parallel, so shared communications, where as the newer PCI-E slots work in serial (not so shared), just saying.
The Xonar DX is just one of many possible options, lots of other options to explore.

Anyway, if you have a need for the headphone surround sound features, then you would want a sound card.
You talk about gaming lag, so we can assume your into FPS gaming?

If your ok gaming in stereo audio, then getting an external DAC/amp would be fine.
A Schiit Fulla should work with Linux.

Headphone wise, headphones for (FPS) gaming are not always the best for music (& movies?).
Headphones good for music (& movies), might not be the best for FPS gaming.

Dec 16, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 9
Dual graphics cards would take the same slots as a graphics card the the Xonar DX card and a sound card would use less bandwidth then a graphics card.
The older PCI slots worked in parallel, so shared communications, where as the newer PCI-E slots work in serial (not so shared), just saying.
The Xonar DX is just one of many possible options, lots of other options to explore.

Anyway, if you have a need for the headphone surround sound features, then you would want a sound card.
You talk about gaming lag, so we can assume your into FPS gaming?

If your ok gaming in stereo audio, then getting an external DAC/amp would be fine.
A Schiit Fulla should work with Linux.

Headphone wise, headphones for (FPS) gaming are not always the best for music (& movies?).
Headphones good for music (& movies), might not be the best for FPS gaming.

I kinda made up my mind.
My Current set up is my test bed.
My Xonar DX is still alive somehow.(got MOBO HD sound as a back up plan)
I want separate AMP for earphones. And separate DAC in case Xonar is dead.(which i already have on MOBO, untill i get something better)

I am not concerned with DAC, as my l33t sk1ls will allow me to chose good Linux DAC regardless. And Xonar is stil alive
What I really need is good is cheap/beginner's AMP with no DAC. I am more concerned with sound stage/music and video quality than gaming.(because i don't play as much as I used to)

If I am to change cans, it will be 50-300 ohm impedance.
Please suggest.

Dec 17, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 9
I kinda made up my mind.
My Current set up is my test bed. My Xonar DX is still alive somehow.(got MOBO HD sound as a back up plan)
I want separate AMP for earphones. And separate DAC in case Xonar is dead.(which i already have on MOBO, until i get something better)
I am not concerned with DAC, as my l33t sk1ls will allow me to chose good Linux DAC regardless. And Xonar is still alive
What I really need is good is cheap/beginner's AMP with no DAC. I am more concerned with sound stage/music and video quality than gaming.(because i don't play as much as I used to)
If I am to change cans, it will be 50-300 ohm impedance. Please suggest.
Schiit Magni or JDS Atom headphone amplifier.

Dec 17, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #9 of 9
I kinda made up my mind.
My Current set up is my test bed.
My Xonar DX is still alive somehow.(got MOBO HD sound as a back up plan)
I want separate AMP for earphones. And separate DAC in case Xonar is dead.(which i already have on MOBO, untill i get something better)

I am not concerned with DAC, as my l33t sk1ls will allow me to chose good Linux DAC regardless. And Xonar is stil alive

If I am to change cans, it will be 50-300 ohm impedance.
Please suggest.
Schiit Magni or JDS Atom headphone amplifier.
Thank you for suggestion.

I have gone for Shiit Fulla3.

1. it has preamp for mic.(nice thing for a gamer)
2. it has DAC that is Linux compatible.
3. I don't need DAC currently, as my Xonair is on last breath. But DAC is solid. WIth that said, it acts as pure AMP if needed.(which I am going to take advantage of)
4. I wont go more than 300ohm cans ever, or so I think, so it should be enough for me.

Lower specced DAC and lower specced DAC/AMPS use same exact hardware in SHIIT. FYIO. (i compared chip names)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back