May have to purchase car soon, worth splurging?
Jun 15, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 22
Those are very nice automobiles.  Acura is definitely considered in the class of luxury brands.  It is owned by Honda so you are pretty much getting a really nice Honda with much nicer interior and better styling.  You can get a much less expensive vehicle that will be very reliable if that's what you are looking for but if you can afford the TSX while taking regularly scheduled (and occasionally unscheduled) maintenance into account then you will definitely enjoy it better than say, a Honda Civic of the same year.  I highly encourage you to do plenty of research and test drive many vehicles in the class you are interested in and don't get too excited about a car and make an emotionally driven decision to purchase.

Jun 15, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 22
With cars, cheaping out is not the source of regret - it is spending too much on something that quickly loses value.  Despite a reasonably well paying job for a 26 year old, I drive a $600 1993 Toyota Tercel

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 22
Acura is Honda, not owned by Honda.  Styling is debatable.  
biggrin.gif

Don't buy something you can't afford, even if it's only a TSX.  Look at the Accords as an alternative.

Civics are cool too, and you'll end up with more money to spend on beers and headphones compared to the others.

beerchug.gif

Jun 16, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 22
Parents won't let me get an older car, not even from the early 2000's. Otherwise they won't aid me financially. I've considered the Hondas and Toyotas, but I fear lack of practical power for the more budget models. And whatever I purchase will likely be my only ride for the next ten years at least, barring accidents. Don't buy new things less required.

Anyways, I'm looking at the Acura TL on the upper range (seems more of a value considering it's upgrades over the TSX), but more realistically, the Corolla looks nice. I like anything with a faux-wood interior trim, but I the engine on the cheaper models doesn't seem so great. 2007 Acuras looks like a nice compromise, at around 15-18K for lightly used ones from local dealers.

Jun 16, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:
Parents won't let me get an older car, not even from the early 2000's. Otherwise they won't aid me financially. 

I can't understand this reasoning.  

And, I've had my 2002 Civic Si since late 2002 and with 108k on the odometer, it's cost me nothing but oil changes and tires and windshield wipers.  Granted it's due for a timing belt and valve lash, et al service, but there has been nothing wrong with it, even surviving two rear end collisions because it brakes better than other people's cars (or I'm paying better attention).  These cars run to 200k no sweat now.  I'll get another 10 years out of this thing if I try a little bit.

Fitting an image is one thing, being realistic and practical is another.  Sorry, I just don't get it.

Jun 16, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #7 of 22
Two reasons, I think:

1) My parents don't know much about cars, and having a 2000 Xterra which has intermittent problems here and there, they're incredibly wary of purchasing a used older vehicle.

2) Yes, image. They er.. don't want me appearing unkempt, something about wanting grandchildren some point before I'm 40. I often get berated for dressing in cheap jeans and Fruit of the Loom Ts (my preferred casual ensemble). If it were solely my money, I'd buy something competent and decent looking. But since they're offering to help with payments, I might as well go with the flow.

Also, most of my friends are car guys, with older Japanese cars. They do tend to get problematic, and since I'm no mechanic, I won't be able to tolerate such things as much as said acquaintances.

Jun 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #8 of 22
Number one shouldn't matter, you obviously know the internet well, and should/can do the research.

Convince them.

Sorry about number two.

Jun 16, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #10 of 22
I wanted to break free as soon as possible rather than stay attached to the parental leash, so there's our difference I suppose.

I'm glad to continue to help you choose a car.   BMW is another option, and drives completely differently than the Japanese cars.  I'm also glad to see that you haven't mentioned VW or Audi, talk about problems...

Jun 16, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #12 of 22
Hah, knowing how to drive a manual transmission car should be a requirement to get your license.  Probably keep a lot of bad drivers off the road!  I think I've found a solution!  

Yeah right.

Go for the older TSX rather than the new, and try to get the manual 6 speed, so you can still have fun in it.  Good car.

Jun 16, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #14 of 22
You must be young, eh?  
biggrin.gif

TSX and TL are in a different class.  The best TSX is probably equal to the baseline TL, but you get more size and space with the TL.  TOTL TSX would be more fun and enjoyable, and clout is over rated hugely.

Not sure what to tell ya, but the more you read, the more you know, so do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back