May have just destroyed an MS1 driver.... :(
Oct 1, 2010 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Bat King

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I was very excitedly re-cabling a pair of Alessandro MS1 that I got in the mail this morning, and did everything right, until I got to desoldering the wires off the right driver. I daresay I left my soldering iron down too long on the contact plate, and the contact plate lifted up a bit on one side. Finished the job anyway, and plugged in the cans to check, and there`s no sound coming from that driver.

I`ve trawled a bit around the forums and it sounds like I just murdered my driver.....

So my questions are:

If this is the case, what does it mean that I`ve done specifically? I assume that the voice coil would have been severed, melted, etc if the plate lifted up? Is there a way to check without destroying it further?

And secondly, is there any possible way to fix this at all? I noticed on the Headwize Grado Mods page that they have a tutorial for replacing a voice coil. Dunno what my chances would be of doing it myself, but if they`re otherwise dead I might as well give it a try.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Oct 1, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #2 of 4
what does the old ohm-meter say? 

if it reads open you busted your driver. 

There are hair-thick wires going from that little (~20mmX5mm)PCB to the voice coil. They are about as strong as hair. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back