Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Aug 28, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #2 of 27
Quote:

Hey weather its ugly or not if it sounds good...it sounds good. Can't argue with that kind of logic 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #5 of 27
Ignoring the fuglyness of it, I would be concerned for the safety of passers-by due to the exposed power caps

On that note, I have built similarly constructed amps as proof of concept and evolving designs.

For the amount of effort you have put into modifying the casework Bottlehead has done why not just start from scratch? A "blank page" build could easily accommodate all the caps you want, with an aesthetically pleasing layout and much more attention given to safety. 

With a blank page build you could even throw out the undersized transformer Bottlehead includes and buy a HUGE toroidal to run 2 output tubes instead of one. Maybe throw a smallish choke into the power supply because why not. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #6 of 27
The capacitor terminals will be covered with heatshrink. I wasn't planning on leaving them exposed. And I agree that it would be best to just start from scratch, and I suspect I will do that eventually. But this project evolved in bits and pieces. If I had planned to make all these changes up front, I would have started with a new case. As it was, none of the changes independently seemed to warrant stripping it down and starting over. Or maybe I was just too lazy... Best regards, Adam

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #7 of 27
gikigill,

I'm about to build a S.E.X. as well. If you're interested, I'd be happy to share my modding plans. As you might imagine, I plan on swapping in a few choice caps, among other things!

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:
gikigill,

I'm about to build a S.E.X. as well. If you're interested, I'd be happy to share my modding plans. As you might imagine, I plan on swapping in a few choice caps, among other things!

There are 3 of us building the SEX together (1 kit each). I plan to make mine in stock form first to experience it prior to modding (I can't speak for gikigill's intentions), but I'd love to hear / see your modification plans!!

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #11 of 27
I dunno, I would say that mine is bigger in volume, but it may be close.
mine at 1000uf/1000v is much more suitable for audio use. Should
be great as ouput caps for an otl amp.

I did have some 10uf/50kv oil caps, but I threw them away when
I moved into my new office. lucky that no one makes xray supplies
that way any more.

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #14 of 27
as I remember I paid less than $10 each for mine, and they are Teflon and some kind of foil. So definitely mine are a better value.
if the 10uf caps are $750 each, you can guess the price of those.

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #15 of 27
Kevin, I'm guessing that you got yours from some sort of limited supply surplus or salvage operation, and they are no longer available, but out of curiosity I have to ask: where did you get them? Best regards, Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back