Maximus V Gene onboard better than, or comparable to, Total Bithead?
Oct 24, 2012 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

gabedamien

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I have a Total Bithead USB DAC/AMP that I've owned and used with my Senn HD650s for years. I've been satisfied with the sound (I'm not at all a hardcore audiophile, obviously).

Recently I completed my first computer build, an mATX hackintosh running off of the ASUS Maximus V Gene motherboard. On a whim, I decided to plug the headphones into the headphone jack on the front panel, since the MVG board is advertised as having premium audio components / shielding / separation relative to typical onboard solutions.

I was rather shocked to hear sound that not only seemed comparable to, but perhaps even surpassed the quality from the Total Bithead. It seemed like there was more detail, separation (this is double-checking against the TBH with crossfeed both off and on) a nicer (better-balanced) frequency response and perhaps better-defined bass as well. I emphasize "seemed" because I am in the objectivist camp that believes subjective A/B comparisons of sound, when the results are already close, are completely unreliable — I've seen how extraordinarily malleable and flawed human perception is too many times. However, in the very least, it seemed as if the sound was more than comparable.

So my question is, does this result make sense? I know the prevailing wisdom is that onboard sound is going to be worse than an external dedicated solution, but I am asking more about the specific comparison between this motherboard's audio and a Total Bithead. Anyone with insight, opinions, or theories, please sound off... right now I am inclined to just keep using the headphone out jack, since it makes switching to my speakers a little less annoying and frees up a USB 2 port / desk space.

Cheers,
—G

PS—For those interested, the build is here. I focused on Hackintosh compatibility, small footprint, and aggressive noise management.

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 3
I have an Asus Gene-Z mobo as well and am new to the audiophile world looking to buy an upgrade in IEMS/Closed headphones so knowing if my onboard sound card is awesome and I don't need to purchase anything extra for the entry level music needs that'd be awesome :D

P.S. We have the same case haha

Dec 6, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 3
Wow, really? I knew they used the audio as a selling point, but I really wasn't expecting something similar quality to any amp... It seems most amps only cost a little less than that motherboard.
I'm glad I incorporated that board into my build, then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back