Maximum Value IEM
Oct 17, 2009 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

cujobob

100+ Head-Fier
So I've been reading up on this forum for a week and I'm having trouble deciding on what to purchase.

I recently purchased a used RSA Predator portable dac/amp and would like a good pair of IEMs or possibly stylish headphones for portable use.

I generally like a neutral, detailed presentation with good dynamics, not a colored speaker/headphone. I currently have M-Audio Q40s and Grado SR60s for home use (though bought on recommendation alone), as well as a wonderful home theater which is quite amazing. Previously owned a pair of Etymotic ER4Ps which were somewhat good, but the cord caught on everything and it was difficult to maintain a proper in-ear fit for very long, so bass suffered often. Point being, I know good sound, though I've not achieved it yet with a headphone/IEM.

Generally, I buy things based on highest value. There's a certain level in high-end audio where you pay a huge increase in price for a very slight increase in performance. Where does that lay with regards to what I'm looking for?

Some high-value options appear to be the Klipsch S4, RE0 from head-direct for the lower-tier IEMs...are there any other giant-killer IEMs to be aware of? Have considered JHaudio JH5 and that's about as much as I'd want to spend ($450 with custom fitting)...used is fine with me.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Oct 18, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 7
UE Triples are about as close as you can get to their custom phones.

UE Triple.Fi 10

I just bought some SF 5 pro headphones that MSRP for 250 for like 130 on ebay too...

Oct 18, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 7
To me FX500 and Klipsch Custom 3 can compete very highend IEMs.

Oct 18, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 7
Oct 18, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 7
I know this may be beating a dead horse, but aside from the Klipsch S4's......at a CHEAP price, the Nuforce ne-6's can be had for $40.

They're not 'giant killers,' but they do perform extremely well for their price level. There are multiple reviews around head-fi for the ne-7's (ne-6 w/ mic). You're probably willing to spend hundreds more than this, but they're good to just throw in your pocket or bag and haul them around without worrying about damaging them.

Oct 18, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #6 of 7
Is the UE 10's cord as bad as one of Amazon's user review says? The price seems good for those...I got a pair of RE0s coming...seem like a great buy at the current price. Still might pick up another and give my gf the RE0.

Anyone know of a lower priced offering that betters the JH5? (subjective, obviously)

Oct 18, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by crapback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With a $80 rebate the triple.fi 10 is $250 at amazon. Amazon.com: Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 Pro Noise Isolating Earphones: Electronics

That's actually not a bad deal at all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back