Maximo iMetal IM-590 Earphones
Aug 13, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #76 of 90
I'll apologize now for a worthless post. I'm sorry. Apparently there is a new forum rule about being unable to send messages without having first made a post here. But anyways.

Per Joker's recommendation I picked up a set of iM590's. Very happy with them. Mostly. After several months of fairly heavy use I've had a problem with the casings splitting
frown.gif

Aside from that, sound was excellent, and plenty of accesories in the box.

Again I apologize for the worthless posting, but I figured this is the most applicable place to post.

Aug 13, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #77 of 90
^ If they're still under warranty you should have no problem replacing them. Maximo's CS is a pleasure to deal with in my experience.

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #78 of 90
Resurrecting this thread.. cause the iM590s deserve it!

Like some others iM590 owners, I had channel imbalance issue with my original pair (the sound was slanted/louder toward the left channel than the right).. Maximo's excellent customer support promptly replaced mine after they determined it was a faulty pair.

For all the praise the iM590s received for being a natural, superbly-balanced phone, they sounded a bit too warm & bassy to my ears as they muffled the upper midrange and treble frequencies enough to be noticeable.  I had been using the medium-sized tips since my original pair & I always felt they fit perfectly.

After receiving my replacement, I began experimenting with the tips again and decided to throw on the smaller tips.. and whammo.. Hello BALANCE!  Even after burning them in for 50 hours or so, these IEMs sounded a little too forward for me with the medium tips.. using the smaller tips, the sound dramatically improved.  The overwhelming warmth settled down perfectly (without losing any definition or clarity, improving in fact) while simultaneously balancing with the lush mids and revealing more detail to the smooth upper frequencies.. all which created a lovely, hypnotizing presentation.

The smaller tips allowed for a deeper insertion creating a better seal by the second flange (which covers part of the metal housing).  Perhaps I never got the correct insertion with the smaller tips so I hastily skipped over using them?  But hot damn, after giving them another go and getting a deeper set in my ear canal.. these IEMs have become down-right addictive.  I can finally say I fully understand the praise these get for their incredibly pleasing, natural sound.  It's well deserved.

So, in conclusion, if you find these on the excessively warm side (particularly when connected to an iPhone 3GS, which has a slightly mid-forward output), try to go for a deeper insertion.. you might just surprise yourself like I did!  I noticed I experienced the opposite effect of the original poster in this thread, who had to go to a larger tip to get the desired sound.. to each his own, of course.. but once you get the right fit, these can truly be a great set of phones.

I have found the perfect assortment of IEMs for my taste and my search for thehas (for my wallet, thankfully) ended.  The iM590s provide the perfect bridge between my freakishly-detailed DBAs and the cozy-warmth of the Silver Bullets.  From a comfort standpoint, the iM590s are so easy to insert, stay in place without any problems, feel so comfortable, and provide a perfect level of isolation.

Color me impressed!  Great job, Maximo!

Jan 20, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #79 of 90
guys. please help me. i had purchased the maximo im 590 abt a year back. now i can't hear anything from the left side. they seem to have problems now they are under warranty and i want to replace them. but i stay in india. it will cost me a lot to send the earphones back to maximo. and i don't know if they will send the new earphones back to india. what do i do?
and are the new earphones better in build quality than the previous ones?? i have heard a lot of issues abt the build quality of the previous ones. are the new ones better?

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #80 of 90
I'm not sure what your iM590s look like.. but mine have cloth covering the wires & sturdy, yet (slightly) flexible rubber (or silicone) strain reliefs for where the drivers meet the wire (just like at the website).  The strain relief for the 3.5mm plug is just fine too.

They look identical to the ones I purchased in July 2010 (and had replaced due to a channel imbalance). I've NEVER had a durability issues with them (or the originals from last year).. in fact they're one of my best IEMs from a durability standpoint.  I'm not rough-&-tumble with any of my IEMs though... but I'd be comfortable saying using these repeatedly on a daily basis shouldn't cause any issues.

I'd RMA them with Maximo, they'll get you taken care of.. I'm such a fan of the sound that I'd get them replaced if it cost 20-30 USD.  If it's more, just purchase a new pair.

BTW, I'm also Indian (living in the US though).. cheers.

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #81 of 90

Quote:
guys. please help me. i had purchased the maximo im 590 abt a year back. now i can't hear anything from the left side. they seem to have problems now they are under warranty and i want to replace them. but i stay in india. it will cost me a lot to send the earphones back to maximo. and i don't know if they will send the new earphones back to india. what do i do?
and are the new earphones better in build quality than the previous ones?? i have heard a lot of issues abt the build quality of the previous ones. are the new ones better?

With proof of purchase you should have no problem getting them replaced overseas. I don't think they will require you to ship them back - I've read something about just having to prove to them that your earphones are unusable for them to send out a new set. Either way contacting them is clearly the best option.

The cable was upgraded recently for better durability since they did have quite a few issues with the old version.

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #82 of 90
I just received these today. Used the groupon $15 for $50, and ended up costing me $25
So far extremely disappointed
Non existent bass
Way too high highs, it is like screetching my head
I tried all the tips, no change, smallest was not comfortable at all. So I am now using the Brainwavz M2 tips (large) and the bass is a lot better, but the highs are way too high.

So far not impressed at all. I really hope that the highs will settle after burn in (so far 4 hours of play).

Will continue to use them with Brainwavz tips. Anybody can recommend another tip? Just afraid these are not the perfect fit for the tip of the phones. Very easy to take off.

Feb 5, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #83 of 90
DEFINITELY a fit issue.. the stock quasi-double medium tips are perfect for me.. probably the best fitting tips of any IEM I have.. so I can't help you with the alternative tip choices.  It's important to get a DEEP seat in the ear canal with the first flange and make sure the outer flange seals the ear.. what you're describing is nothing like the majority of the reviews/impressions.  If you're sure you're getting a good fit.. I'd recommend RMA'ing them.. believe me these are a great set of balanced phones with PLENTY of bass.. not bass canons but not Ety-like in the least either.

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #84 of 90
Just ordered these this morning. I was looking for a beater set of commuter earphones and these seem like they are worth the cash.

Thanks for the thread and review. I also got Comply T-200 tips with them if I do not like the stock tips.

Feb 16, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #86 of 90
I also picked up a pair of these with the groupon deal.  I must be the only one who's had too much bass.  I must admit they've only had >10 hours of burn in, hopefully, they will get better with more time on them.

Mar 5, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #87 of 90
ppl. plz help me. i have decided to send the im-590's for replacement. i am sending them with a friend who's going to the US. but do i have to send only the earphones and the case or do i have to send the entire box(with all the accesories?). it would be bad if i have to send the box too(along with all the accesories :frowning2: ). plz reply fast guys. my friend's leaving today

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #89 of 90
Hello guys - here's to hoping you'll read this sooner than later, because this total fluke combination is going extinct. So I have stumbled on a setup for the Maximo IM-590 that has really good synergy... I will tell you about that soon but let me tell you about my experience from the get-go:

After putting on the IM-590 with the pre-installed stock tips I was actually a bit surprised at how realistic these sound for an in-ear 'phone. After trying all 3 pairs of the tips mine came with I noticed only a bit of difference, mainly that the larger ones provide more bass. Feeling there was more to be had out of these 'tiny babies', I tried on another silicon tip from a generic no-name earbud that happened to fit. Given that these tips were fatter and shorter, they were able to insert further and seal better; giving me a much better sense of sonic detail in all the frequencies; bass included.

Then, just randomly trying 'dumb luck', I plugged in my little old Fiio E5 matchbox-size earphone amp... ANOTHER WOW! The whole sense of clarity improved: the dynamics of the whole sound; the bass was punchier just right and the treble was a lot more natural & organic too. And I'm not talking about bloated treble, but fairly well detailed & textured treble! 
dt880smile.png
 So here you have it, I stumbled on the fact that the IM-590 earphones + Fiio E5 + cell phone music player have good synergy! ... Uh, what? you may be thinking why did I add a "stupid cell phone" to a head-fi discussion? The answer is simple: SYNERGY! 
tongue.gif
 After trying several other combinations (590's directy to PC, 590's directly to cell, 590's directly to bigger headphone amp, 590's to PC via the Fiio E5) - I came to conclude that the IM-590's (at least so far) shine their best connected to a standard cell phone or everyday MP3 (hopefully FLAC) player, with the Fiio E5 in between; probably because the portable players have a lower current level or something.

Feeling there was still more to be had from these IM-590's, I gave a go at some Comply S-200 tips. My former observation had been that silicon tips are impractical in general due to the fact that they achieve a more or less "perfect seal", so air cannot breathe from the motion of the drivers of the earphones which was probably why the bass sounded so one-note and artificial, and a generally congested sound layering using the stock (or any) silicon tips... Onto the S-200 tips: It did everything I has hoping for: The bass was brought to life with a bit more range / multi-note ability & just a tad louder, and the midrange & treble retained their detail, if not even a bit more textured & detailed yet... leaving you with a fairly well organic, lifelike & textured presentation.  And for the Comply tips, these earphones are compatible with any of the 200 series, but I chose the mediom S-200 due to their moderate isolation and medium size, as to hopefully not overdue the bass or the noise isolation that comes with being tooo thick. And these are sold at most RadioShack's too.

The only downfalls are: they need to EQ'ing (I boosted the bass frequencies under 125hz by about 2db and the treble around 1db at 16khz), the need for deep insertion (I'm sure all you in-ear fans know the importance of inserting deep enough to take advantage of the 'phones potential yet not deep enough to harm yourself, LOL), and finally that these earphones have 0 soundstage. Granted they sound well refined and detailed for an in-ear, but in-ears are basically incapable of reproducing a lifelike soundstage due to their limiting size. (correct me if I'm wrong; I'm more of a full size big headphone kind of guy). These are the same drawbacks inherent with all in-ears anyway.

The bottom line: SCOUR THE NET TO GET THE IM-590 AND FIIO E(X) while you still can because these are both discontinued yet floating around new/used. Oh, why did I say E(X)? Well because the Fiio E5 is discontinued so you may want to try the Fiio E6 instead which looks pretty similar (but don't quote me on it having all the same current properties). This is a worthy earphone combo with lifelike sound and good synergy!! Take it from me: I gave up on in-ear 'phones about 7 years ago thinking that it's impossible to reproduce the whole frequency spectrum with tiny earphones; but this is starting to change my mind.

Sep 21, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #90 of 90
Hello fellow IEM fans. Listen I'm in a hard spot and wondering if somebody would do me a favor.

Would anybody be willing to sell me your IM-590? Or does anybody know of a place that repairs IEMs? You see, after spending hundreds and trying at least 10 other IEMs I realise that my IM-590 blew them all out of the water (better clarity & dynamics). But the left channel on mine broke early this year and I have searched high & low for a new / used pair of these online but to no avail. So please send me a PM if you're willing to let me buy yours. I have my own eartips. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back