Maximo iM 490s came today!
Jan 24, 2008 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Cal3257

New Head-Fier
Hey all, the Maximo iM 490s i got from woot last week got here already! much faster than i had anticipated.
starting to listen a little out of my ipod mini cuz thats what i'll be using it with mostly. trying out the different tips and trying to learn how to put these on without crinkles or at least minimizing them, as i'm new to canalphones. I hope these crinkles don't damage the drivers or my eardrums. so far they sound good, but then again i'm noob at this.
first thing i notice, they are powered really easily. i listening out of my ipod mini at the lowest possible volume setting as i sit in my room. The specs say the sensitivity is >100 dB, doesn't say anything about impedance.

i think other ppl who ordered this will get it soon too and post their impression. more thoughts later

Jan 24, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal3257 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i tried to wear it over my ears to reduce microphonics, but the sound seems to not be as good that way. i must not be getting a good seal. any advice?

Hi Cal,
I just got mine today too.. LOL should have been yesterday, but the mailman flaked and didn't deliver my route.

They seem to be a bit difficult to get just right. The smaller cable exit support of the 390's might make it a bit easier IMO. I was happy with the medium gray tips on the Shure E4c's, but am using the large ones on these. I'm also curious to see if there are other tips (i'm thinking foamies) that will work. With these, it's a combination of good seal, and proper angle so that the sound doesn't get blocked. I tried the medium tips inserting fairly deeply, but am finding that the larger tips and a shallow insertion is providing a better result; at least for my ears. Managed to hit the sweet spot with the wire exiting straight up.. and then looped the wires over the ear..

You will know when you get it right... all of a sudden the low bass will drop in, and the highs will be there too. It takes awhile to figure it out so keep playing with it.

Listening now.. and agree that they drive very easily.. my Zune 30's at a 8 or 9 for very solid volume levels, could drop it to 7 or even 6 and still listen just fine. They are much easier to drive than the E4's. Not hissy either.. although my Zune doesn't seem to produce much noise to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back