Maximizing audio quality on a low budget.
Jan 17, 2013 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Akiho

New Head-Fier
First of all: I have no idea whether I've placed it in the right forum, I'm sorry if I've placed it in the wrong forum.

Like the title suggests, I'm trying to maximize my audio quality on a low budget, which is €150,-. But I have no idea what would give me the most bang for the buck (actually, I don't know much about audio setups in general at this moment). I'm thinking of buying the speakers at last, since it's likely that I won't use them a lot (basically only if there's no-one but me home). I will use it for music (hardcore/hardstyle, metal, classical), anime and some occasional gaming. They don't need to be portable, since it's going to be used at roughly the same spot all the time and space isn't an issue either.
Right now I'm using the Superlux HD 681 with my motherboard's onboard soundcard (Realtek ALC892). So the smartest move would be to switch to something else that's not the onboard chip right?
What would you guys recommend?

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 7
In the world of all things audio, once you get above a certain pricepoint (which is quite low but varies depending on what you are talking about) diminishing returns gets so steep that things start to get far less about measurable improvements and into the world of status symbols.  I love how Uncle Erik put it: "Audio is fashion for men."

If you like the sound you are getting from your headphones, I'd suggest not buying anything more. If you really want to make a change in your listening experience you'd be best served by changing your headphones. They have the most dramatic impact on your overall listening experience by a huge margin over any DAC or amp.

Have fun!

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for replying.

The main reason why I want to upgrade my current stuff is that I don't consider my current setup to be suitable for classical music and watching anime. Of course I could use an equalizer, but it's really annoying to change the equalizer every time I switch to a different genre.
Another thing is that I can hear a high pitched tone when I have my headphones plugged in to the back panel, which I "fixed" by plugging them into the front panel, but it requires me to use an extension cord. I'd prefer to plug it into the back and I could be upgrading my headphones all the time, but I would still be stuck with the annoying high pitch that occurs whenever I move my mouse. So that's why I want to upgrade everything instead of just the headphones.

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Another thing is that I can hear a high pitched tone when I have my headphones plugged in to the back panel, which I "fixed" by plugging them into the front panel, but it requires me to use an extension cord. I'd prefer to plug it into the back and I could be upgrading my headphones all the time, but I would still be stuck with the annoying high pitch that occurs whenever I move my mouse. So that's why I want to upgrade everything instead of just the headphones.

Try muting all inputs (line-in, microphone, etc) in Control Panel/ Sounds, also take output volume control to 100% .
Good luck !

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 7
Look into the Asus Xonar DG or DGX cards (same card, different plugin on your motherboard). They have a built-in headphone amp that is a little better suited for headphone use than typical onboard audio. Not too expensive, either. They also have Dolby Headphone, which many people like.

Then after you get that, and you want more, save and upgrade your headphones. I'm a Grado fan and think the SR80i are hard to beat for around $100 headphones. Lot of fans of those phones. But of course headphone preference is individualistic.

Jan 19, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Try muting all inputs (line-in, microphone, etc) in Control Panel/ Sounds, also take output volume control to 100% .
Good luck !

It didn't work unfortunately, I did try a different mouse and it doesn't have the issue. I tried using the headphones and and G400 on a different computer as well and the problem isn't there either, so I think it's just the combination of the mouse and motherboard.

Quote:
Look into the Asus Xonar DG or DGX cards (same card, different plugin on your motherboard). They have a built-in headphone amp that is a little better suited for headphone use than typical onboard audio. Not too expensive, either. They also have Dolby Headphone, which many people like.

Then after you get that, and you want more, save and upgrade your headphones. I'm a Grado fan and think the SR80i are hard to beat for around $100 headphones. Lot of fans of those phones. But of course headphone preference is individualistic.

I've looked into the SR80i, which are €159,- here, that's almost (if not more) twice the price. Are there any other headphones you would recommend?

I've also looked at the DG and DGX, which indeed seem to be the best options amongst the low-end soundcards.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #7 of 7
I've also looked at the DG and DGX, which indeed seem to be the best options amongst the low-end soundcards.

Definitely start there, and then you can look for headphones even after you get the sound card.

I've looked into the SR80i, which are €159,- here, that's almost (if not more) twice the price. Are there any other headphones you would recommend?

OK. A lot of people here in the US go for the 80i because they are not that much more than the SR60i. But the SR60i have the same drivers (supposedly the SR80i drivers are better matched) and the cord is less heavy duty. Check out reviews on them. Looks like they are a little cheaper on Amazon UK, if that's a good place for you to shop.

Otherwise, a good starting point might be this list:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

The problem is that it's based on price/performance value in US dollars, so your pricing might make something else be even better for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back