Maximize my iAudio X5 battery life
Nov 27, 2006 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

atart

100+ Head-Fier
Just as the title states, i'm looking to maximize my X5's battery life. I use the X5 with my westone UM2's

This is my story:

Sent the X5 back within warranty period for a faulty joystick, got a refurb back, tried to avoid using the joystick at all to prevent another failure, so bought a remote and that's what i use now.
Settings are as such, mild increase in bass on the equalizer, no other audio effects, bbe machbass, nothing.
display settings, backlight on the main unit stays off all the time because i use the remote exclusively, backlight time on the remote is 10 seconds, contrast is 5

nowadays, from full charge to none gets me about 7-8 hours maximum. is my battery just dying or is there something i can do to increase it?

oh and btw, i have the regular X5, with an advertised 14 hours of battery life.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance, any and all suggestions welcome

Nov 27, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 8
tried searching iaudiophile, i see the buzz there about changing batteries, but want to explore all options first

didnt find too much apart from changing batteries over there, tried searching whether a certain firmware offers better battery life than others. I'm using 2.07 right now.

Nov 27, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 8
I'm having the same problem (AND it's about 1 month out of warranty), grrrr...

Things to maximize battery:

Don't use EQ or any effects (machbass, 3d, etc). I like some of the effects, but I noticed my battery life went up at least an hour when I turned them off.

Set the LCD to turn off as quickly as possible.

And the higher the bitrate your music files are, the more battery will be used. Most of my stuff is encoded at 160 or 192kbps.

Let me know if you find anything else that helps your X5 battery life too. Cheers!

Nov 27, 2006 at 10:13 AM Post #5 of 8
You could try Rockbox with minimalist settings. As it stands now, I get more hours out of Rockbox with my X5L than I do on the Official firmware.

Nov 27, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 8
I've heard both actually.

I've heard that it doesn't have power optimization, hence it has shorter battery life. And on the flip side, I've heard that since Rockbox doesn't use some of the hardware - like usb host - at all, it uses less power.

Any rockbox experts out there?

I'll say in my experience, Rockbox shortened battery life.

Nov 28, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 8
One thing you can do to minimize the screen usage is just pop the power switch up real quick and that will turn the screen off, instead of waiting for it to go off...Also, you might try, just once, charging it by usb. I did this and the battery seemed to last just a little longer, but it might have been in my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back