Max Payne Movie (no spoiler in OP)
Oct 20, 2008 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Maxvla

Headphoneus Supremus
I played some of the original game, but never got around to finishing it so I didn't know much of the story going into this movie, but I was very impressed.

Coming at this movie without much of the game knowledge I enjoyed it as a movie first. I expected more of the slow motion that the game used, but what was used in the movie was tasteful, although slightly randomly placed.

The action is good and even somewhat believable (rare in this genre), but what I enjoyed the most was the amazing back drops especially the outdoor scenes. These scenes made me feel like the game was made from the movie they were so cold and hard. The music was transparent and fit nicely. I'm thinking about buying the soundtrack I was so impressed. Wahlberg was superbly cast and expressed some very dark and suppressed emotions brilliantly.

I'm usually good at spotting the twist, but for some reason I didn't catch this one til it unfolded. I liked that a lot.

I'd give this 8/10. Not the greatest, but certainly one worth going out of your way to see. It inspired me to get the games again, but I've given up video games so I doubt I will.

Anyone else see this?

Oct 20, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #2 of 7
saw it yesterday. Worth the 7.50 (student). I also played the game albeit briefly so the only scene I recognized was the subway scene.

I didn't know what to think from the trailer, with the demons and whatnot. Thought it was gonna be a Constantineish movie.

I was pleasantly wrong. Good for a video game movie.

Oct 20, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm usually good at spotting the twist, but for some reason I didn't catch this one til it unfolded. I liked that a lot.

I think you didn't expect the twist because it was so random..."not yet, Max"? IMO it came out of nowhere. Otherwise, I think it's an OK movie for what it's worth. The tone and style of the movie kinda reminded me of Sin City, which is interesting as one of the trailers that was shown is for the next Frank Miller-novel based movie. "The Spirit" I think it was?

Oct 20, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #5 of 7
No I was referring to the killer. I should have spotted it much earlier, but the acting on his part was very good I didn't detect it at all.

Oct 20, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #6 of 7
Ooo, yes then I guess it was sort of unexpected. Although I usually find myself suspecting the good guy for no reason at all so I wasn't that surprised. When you say the killer, you're referring to the third guy who's responsible for the murder of Max Payne's wife and kid right?

Oct 20, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #7 of 7
Let's just say the correct killer
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back