Max/MOH/non-battery amp owners
Jul 25, 2002 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

JMT

JMT Audio:PPA/META42 Amp Factory
This has probably been asked and answered.

Please vote and indicate which amp you own.

Jul 25, 2002 at 5:36 AM Post #2 of 15
hey jmt,

voted yes, own the mg head and an anthem pre1l.

pointless info you didn't ask for: i leave all my equipment except for the turntable on unless i know i won't be listening for couple of days. the warm up time and cold start issues aren't worth it to me since i spend big parts of each day listening to the gear. my ps audio p300 reads a low current draw for all of my components when idling so i don't think its too big of an issue(although i can only hook up four components to it at a time).

best,
carlo.

Jul 25, 2002 at 6:00 AM Post #3 of 15
Tough question, JMT!

My solid state integrated amp/cdp/tuner (Linn Classik) has a standby function, so I use that unless I know I won't be listening for 2 days or so. Same for my turntable power source, though it doesn't have standby. The directions for the Phonomena solid state phono stage explicitly says to leave it on forever for "thermal stability".

I guess I tend to turn off my tubed headamps if I think I won't be using them for about 24 hours, otherwise they stay on too.

Jul 25, 2002 at 7:07 AM Post #4 of 15
I have the Melos SHA-1. I usually turn it off unless I'm planning on listening later on in the day. When I'm at college I sometimes listen for over four hours a day so I leave the amp on while I'm in the dorm, listening or not. But generally the rule is I turn it off because I don't want the tubes to die out.
wink.gif

Jul 25, 2002 at 10:42 AM Post #5 of 15
For the Grace 901 I only turn it on when I'm using it but think it sounds better after a 10 min warmup. The EMP sounds it's best after it's been on for over 2 hours, sometimes I turn it on 2 hours before I start listening to it, and it stays on if I plan on listening later in the same day.

This could also be all in my head!
eek.gif

Jul 25, 2002 at 12:09 PM Post #6 of 15
I voted yet but it's really "Yes, but..."

If the entire system is hooked up, I'll leave a solid state amp on indefinitely and not really worry about it.

If I'm planning to say disconnect the DAC and take it to work, I'll go ahead and power down the amp even if that particular amp is staying home.

If it's a tube amp, I tend to follow the rule of "if I'm not planning to listen again for a few hours, go ahead and turn it off." I do, often, turn the RKV on the moment I get home from work not really knowing if/when I'll get around to listening to it. I like it to already be warmed up and there's definitely more of a difference to me with tube amps than solid states in that regard. But I won't leave it running indefinitely if I know I'm not planning to use it for a while due to tube life.

For what it's worth, I leave my PC on all the time too.

Jul 25, 2002 at 12:26 PM Post #7 of 15
i only turn off my sugden if i am going out of town and whenever i do that, i generally unplug everything as well.

i don't keep the zotl or mg head turned on. my mg head is at work and i just don't want to overuse any tubed stuff.

Jul 25, 2002 at 12:27 PM Post #8 of 15
Modded Corda, on 24/7 as is the Analoguer.

Jul 25, 2002 at 12:28 PM Post #9 of 15
I have all solid state gear and leave front end on 24/7 (CDP, DAC, Preamp, MOHR) since they consume very little power, less than 20 watts each.

My two amps I turn off each night when done listening, and turn on again next day 1/2 hr before listening.

If you have tube equipment there are many opinions on this, and many discussions at Audiogon how to best approach, since you must weigh tube life vs power consumption.

Jul 25, 2002 at 1:16 PM Post #10 of 15
My modded Corda is on all the time, except during bad storms. I unplug everything in those situations.

Jul 25, 2002 at 2:28 PM Post #11 of 15
All of my computer and headphone audio equipment is left on 24/7. My home theater equipment I turn off when not in use.

Jul 25, 2002 at 2:49 PM Post #12 of 15
I turn my equipment off. In addition to the potential fire hazard present with tubed components, the output tubes in my main amps have a replacement cost of $260. and the input tubes cost $100. to $150.

Tube life may be shortened by switching the power on and off, but to what extent is not quite known and probably not consistent from component to component.. OTOH, leaving the power on will definitely curtail their life.

Jul 25, 2002 at 3:22 PM Post #14 of 15
I leave my 2001 HR Max and SAC K-1000 on 24/7 unless I'm goin out of town. My CDP is on 24/7 most of the time but I turn it off occasionally i guess out of habit.

Computers, router, switch, etc, on 24/7, and occasionally off when I'm going out of town.

My Home theater system is off most of the time and only on when actually being used.

Jul 25, 2002 at 4:51 PM Post #15 of 15
Like most folks with solid state stuff all my gear stays on 24/7 except when i install or remove speaker cables and such to prevent shorting or if i know i won't be listening for a long period which so far has never happened probably never will...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back