Max DAC works as a high end CD player?
Mar 2, 2006 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ddroit2005

100+ Head-Fier
I was a little bit disappointed with my Aria's DAC. So I am curious the sound of MAX DAC. I converted many classical CDs (about 300) into Apple lossless files. If I listen to those files with MAX DAC, is the almost same as listening to a high end CD player + MAX amp?

I am saying the MAX means MAX DAC + MAX Amp. And the setup is usb connection or optical out with a laptop.

Mar 2, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 7
the max dac resamples teh incoming signal before they go to the dacs to reduce the possibilty of jitter.
Not sure how it compares to something like a meridian, theSloth has the same configuration. You should PM him about it.

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
the max dac resamples teh incoming signal before they go to the dacs to reduce the possibilty of jitter.

Thank you for your tip, RnB180.

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ddroit2005
... If I listen to those files with MAX DAC, is the almost same as listening to a high end CD player + MAX amp?

I am saying the MAX means MAX DAC + MAX Amp. And the setup is usb connection or optical out with a laptop.

In addition to the jitter resistance that's crucial for your setup - the Head-Fi reports I've seen from folks who've heard the Max DAC are universally enthusiastic with very favorable comparisons to expensive CD players. Do some searching in the Meet Impressions and Members of the Trade forums. The only complaint I've seen is that HeadRoom doesn't sell the DAC as a separate unit!

Mar 3, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauregard
the Head-Fi reports I've seen from folks who've heard the Max DAC are universally enthusiastic with very favorable comparisons to expensive CD players.

So in that setup, a high end CD player is that much useful. Am I correct?

Mar 3, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #6 of 7
I suppose the max dac and home amp or max amp would be the best solution for lap top.

The dac takes the signal upsamples it and reclocks it before sending it to the dacs that use opa627's

the dacs and amplifier are housed in the same chasis and keeps things simple and short. If you go balanced it will invert the incoming signal into a fully balanced signal. So Id say the headroom dac/amp combos would be the best for laptop use out of anything available. There is nothing like this on the market that has everything all in one.

You can always bypass the dac section, when you decide to get a high end source and plug them into the amp directly. So its like a win/win situation.
IMO in regards to an all in one, laptop amp in the upper tier levels for headphones. I dont see any other amp that can beat the headroom offerings
in a single package.

Cheers.

Mar 4, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #7 of 7
I guess there would be merits for cables as well. In MAX DAC + MAC amp just need an usb or optical cable. So without high end interconnects.

In that case, a laptop must be a high end CD player.

Thank you, guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back