Maverick TubeMagic D1 with 2.1 Question
May 1, 2013 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Thujone

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently got my first "real" DAC, the Maverick TubeMagic D1, and I have a couple questions. There is an integrated headphone amp that works very well with the setup. Headphones sound amazing through this thing. However, when I attempted to hook up my speakers, I reached a problem. There are two analog RCA outputs. One is labeled "Tube Pre Out" and the other "Normal". My first assumption was that the "Tube Pre Out" just meant that it would output an un-amplified analog signal, which would mean the "Normal" would work similar to the headphone jack.

Well, I plugged my 2.1 speakers into the "Normal" analog out because I want to be able to use the unit's amp so that I could increase the volume with the unit itself. No success, so I tried "Tube Pre Out". No success there either... only the volume control for the 2.1's internal amp works. I also noticed that the sound coming from the speakers when plugged into the Maverick (RCA to 1/8") is much worse than when the speakers are plugged directly into my desktop's motherboard 1/8" jack. Tons of noise and distortion. Am I missing something? I really hoped that I would be able to use this unit for both headphones and speakers but why does it not work that way? Also, why does the headphone jack NOT override the other analog outputs? If I have the speakers AND headphones plugged in, the sound comes out of both and the volume knob only adjusts the headphones.

Do I just need to buy an amp to go with this setup (i.e. the A1)? If so, why?

Hope someone can help!

EDIT: I am hooked up to my PC through USB, not optical. Dunno if that makes a difference.

May 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 6
Hi,

Yes, you do need the A1 for speakers. and if that is what you want: a DAC, a headphone amp, and a speaker amp, I think you  should have bought the A1 and the D2. The D2 DAC is a higher quality DAC then the D1, and the D2 and the A1 are redundant but you need the A1 for speakers. Maybe Ryan at Maverick will take the A1 back in exchange.

May 6, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
Hi,

Yes, you do need the A1 for speakers. and if that is what you want: a DAC, a headphone amp, and a speaker amp, I think you  should have bought the A1 and the D2. The D2 DAC is a higher quality DAC then the D1, and the D2 and the A1 are redundant but you need the A1 for speakers. Maybe Ryan at Maverick will take the A1 back in exchange.

Yeah, I did a little bit more reading and found that my D1 (plus version) doesn't have the volume bypass button that would account for my issues with the volume knob not working for the speakers. And yes, you are right. I should have purchased the D2 instead of the D1 Plus but since the D1 Plus is quite a step up from the D1, I'm not too worried. I just purchased an A1 off of a fellow head-fier and I hope to get some bookshelf speakers to plug into it eventually. Still though, I can't figure out why the 2.1 setup is receiving so much distortion. I even tried plugging them into the headphone jack instead of the RCA outputs and still got the same issue. For whatever reason, the D1 is interfering with the built in amp on the 2.1 setup and causing some extra distortion...

May 25, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 6
I just recently got the D1 Plus too as a replacement for my D1 who had issues with its source inputs. I too have this issue where the volume knob only responds to the headphone jack but has no effect on the analog outputs (pre-amp and normal). However, my old D1 didn't have this issue, I could set the volume of my speakers with the knob. I can live with it using my PC as source but when using my TV for example, there's no way to set the volume on the optical input. It's like preset to a certain volume and is stuck there. I've contacted Ryan for this and waiting for his answer. Gotta say his customer service is exceptional.

May 25, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #5 of 6
I just recently got the D1 Plus too as a replacement for my D1 who had issues with its source inputs. I too have this issue where the volume knob only responds to the headphone jack but has no effect on the analog outputs (pre-amp and normal). However, my old D1 didn't have this issue, I could set the volume of my speakers with the knob. I can live with it using my PC as source but when using my TV for example, there's no way to set the volume on the optical input. It's like preset to a certain volume and is stuck there. I've contacted Ryan for this and waiting for his answer. Gotta say his customer service is exceptional.

Did your original D1 have a volume bypass button? My D1 Plus does not have one, but that would determine whether or not the analog outputs are affected by volume.

May 25, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #6 of 6
Yes, my old D1 had a "Direct" volume bypass button that is not present anymore on the Plus model. However, here's the great news. Ryan responded me and there is a fix for this. Tried myself and am happy now with my D1+.

Here's a copy of the message :

You will be able to enable the volume control for the analog outputs:

1) Open the case of the D1.
2) See attached picture. There are two jumpers close to the tube, move the two jumpers to the positions shown in the picture. Then you will be able to control the volume for the analog outputs.

Do let me know if you need any further help:)

http://i.imgur.com/n9CTKZS.jpg

Cheers,

Ryan

Customer Support
Maverick Audio

Have fun :wink: For anyone looking for a DAC/AMP, I highly recommend Maverick Audio. His customer service alone is once again, EXCEPTIONAL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back