Maverick D1 Op-amp upgrade and other tweaks, advice needed.
Apr 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ilikepooters

500+ Head-Fier
Have a Maverick D1 and was considering using the OPA627 upgrade that maverick offer.

Just confusing because the op-amps in there are just a chip, but the ones they're selling are a chip soldered to some sort of circuit board, surely it wont fit?

This is what they're selling: http://www.mav-audio.com/store/index.php/tube/opa627-d1.html

This is the chip that's in there currently:

As you can see there is no red circuit board, chip just plugs straight in.

Are those on the circuit boards just really tiny and the ones i already have are just big?

Op-amps i have in there currently are LF353N.

Are there any others i can use that just plug straight in there? I've heard OPA627 is warm and not particularly detailed.

I'm looking for highly detailed and neutral with expansive soundstage.

I'm also thinking of swapping some of the components for better quality ones, i know how to solder but i have no idea what to replace to increase sound quality.

I'm guessing that replacing the caps would be a good start, but do i replace all of them or only some? The ones in there are probably cheap chinese components.

Any and all help is appreciated, many thanks! 
beerchug.gif

May 2, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #3 of 4
OPA627's from Mav-audio seem to be taking forever to get here, so ordered some OPA2134's from a UK seller, but they seem to be taking ages also, god i hate waiting for stuff, why can't anything audio related ever be delivered quickly? seems i have to wait forever for everything, like they're not making enough money selling stuff at this price in the first place 
rolleyes.gif

/rant

Hopefully i'll get my OPA2134's tomorrow, when i'm working all day and can't use them.

May 2, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #4 of 4
Yes they are selling you the latest SMD technology buy attached to a "converter" PCB. The 2134s I have used in the past and they are pretty good. Although now I am using ones from the LME series.These compete with the 627s  beating the spec. in some places but not in the SLEW rate which is a bit more than double them. Though they are a lot cheaper.
           The 2 black capacitors at the rear -close together look pretty close to the LM 353 installed so I hope the PCB 627s arent a tight fit.
                 You are right upgrading -the LM353 design is 20YRS old or more.
                   You should find the 2134s a bit smoother.but just as detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back