Maverick D1 Dac compared to Asus DAC
Nov 4, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #16 of 19
So plugging the PS3/PS4 via S/PDIF into the 15.32 wouldn't work since the output isn't processed?  

You can set the PS3 (and I'm assuming PS4) to deliver 2 channel linear PCM over optical. It just won't be using any DSP to take the multi channel output into 2 channels--you'll get the standard 2 channel audio. But it will be lossless and it can transmit whatever sampling rate your DAC can handle over optical, of course limited by the original encoding of the blu-ray: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/demystifying-the-audio-settings-on-your-playstation-3/

Nov 4, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #17 of 19

So plugging the PS3/PS4 via S/PDIF into the 15.32 wouldn't work since the output isn't processed?  I would need a MIXAMP?

I'm only using headphones, but I never understood 5.1 and 7.1 over headphones.  On the STX I can change to 2, 6, and 8 channel but I'm only using headphones (2 channel I assume) but I do hear a big difference.  I assume it's still 2 channel, but encoded.  But I am not 100% sure here so I wasn't sure if say using BluRay software on PC/OSX watching movie with 7.1 (but using headphones) would be considered 2 channel or 8.

Ideally, I want one device that can handle PC/OSX/PS3 as I would like to use my DT880's through all sources and they are all on my desk together (I use my PS3 currently with my 27" desktop monitor via HDMI and switch inputs). 

The PS3/PS4 issue I can solve how I do now. I have the HDMI going into my monitor and my monitor has 3.5mm jacks for audio out, which I plug into my computers line in or into a jambox when I'm playing with my son.  At some point I'll probably move the PS4 to the living room but I prefer to have it in here.

You can connect the PS3 (PS4?) to the 15.32, using optical, just set the PS3 (& PS4) for 2-channel stereo output (no surround sound).
Software (on the Win PC) like Cyberlink PowerDVD will do surround sound processing for a Blu-ray move,
Version 11 ultra sells on eBay for around $30.

A mix-amp can be hooked to the Sony PS3.
Also you can get a A/V receiver, run HDMI from the PS3 to the Receiver and plug headphones (DT880) into the receiver, Yamaha receivers come with Silent Cinema, which is Yamaha's own Headphone Surround Sound.
Just buy a use receiver off Craigslist or eBay.

Nov 5, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #18 of 19
I contacted the guys a few days ago about the Maverick, I found his response kind of funny: 

"D1 is a serious audio equipment, you will find the music to be more 3-dimensional and with more details compare to  STX. After all, your speakers and headphones are analog devices, it is crucial to have proper digital to analog conversion in order to get good analog audio signal (bettersound quality)."

Ohh series audio equipment!

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #19 of 19
I contacted the guys a few days ago about the Maverick, I found his response kind of funny: 

"D1 is a serious audio equipment, you will find the music to be more 3-dimensional and with more details compare to  STX. After all, your speakers and headphones are analog devices, it is crucial to have proper digital to analog conversion in order to get good analog audio signal (bettersound quality)."

Ohh series audio equipment!

I HATE when a vendor disses your existing audio equipment to make a sale, especially when the equipment you have is not that far off in quality. Same thing happened to me when I emailed Mayflower electronics about upgrading to the ODAC from the STX. He made the STX out to be of no consequence. Consequently, I did not buy from him :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back