Maverick Audio D2 and Schiit Asgard 2, a good match?
Apr 20, 2015 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

xy19968

New Head-Fier
I've just ordered HD650 and Schiit Asgard 2. When it comes to DAC, an easy answer would be Schiit Bifrost. But it's twice the price of Maverick D2. My question is sound wise, how much of difference we will see between Maverick D2 and Bifrost? Is D2+Asgard+HD650 a good match?

Again, only sound. Not made in US vs. made in China; $250 vs. $500; or resale value comparison please.

Thanks,

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #2 of 7
I have the Maverick D1 and have owned the Asgard 2. I would go with the Schiit Modi 2 or ODAC myself over the Maverick D2. Save your money towards more headphones :)

Apr 20, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #4 of 7
I think the D1 is a decent value for a headphone amp/pre-amp/dac with a lot of connections. And then something like the Modi 2 or ODAC has already reached a high level of resolution and accurate reproduction. Without having comparison tests--and those are subject to being flawed without ABX blind testing--how can one know that the D2 is any better than something like the Modi 2 or ODAC? Spending more on a DAC offers very diminishing rate of returns in SQ improvement, if any at all.

Then consider that one is typically better off for best SQ in spending much less on the electronics and much more on the headphones. So the Modi 2 or ODAC + Asgard 2 would leave you a good bit of money towards buying better headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back