Matthew Good Band - The Audio of Being
Oct 31, 2001 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12
I just picked up the new MGB album today, and although it is quite different from 'Beautiful Midnight', I'm enjoying it quite a bit...*I think*.....

I have been a long time fan, but only recently have I become obsessed with their music. So far I own: 'Raygun', 'Last of the Ghetto Astronauts', 'Underdogs', 'Beautiful Midnight', 'Loser Anthems: B-Sides and Rarities' and of course 'The Audio of Being'. There is one or more other EP's ('Lo-Fi B-Sides'), but I think I remember hearing somewhere that they were extremely rare and would be incredibly hard and expensive to obtain.

Anyways, that's enough of my rambling......are there any other big MGB fans at Head-Fi? (Besides Odin of course!
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Oct 31, 2001 at 4:50 PM Post #2 of 12
Yeah, I'm a big fan as well. I have all their albums except Lo-fi. I should be getting my limited edition cd in the mail today from HMV. Have you ever seen them in concert?

Nov 1, 2001 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 12
No I've never actually been to a real concert, I'm still only 15...for 12 more days. Linkin Park will be the first concert that I see, if[/] I end up going... [UPDATE]tickets are sold out....damn!!!![/UPDATE]

I like the first page of the promotional lyrics booklet for The Audio of Being, it's kinda funny!

Update: So far, I've listened to the full album through, about 3 or 4 times. I don't really know what to think yet, but it is growing on me. All on know right now is that I like the songs "Advertising on Police Cars", "Truffle Pigs", and "Anti-Pop".
This album seems to be a bit slower than Beautiful Midnight, at least for quite a few of the songs.

Nov 1, 2001 at 7:23 AM Post #4 of 12
I still didn't get the grip of the new album yet, I've been busy lately, they should release the album on weekends! So I can pick it up
frown.gif
. I have all their albums and Loser's Anthems, I didn't pick any of their EPs though.

Nov 7, 2001 at 4:28 AM Post #6 of 12
Yeah, I have the CD two days ago, and hell it's AWESOME, but I really don't get the lyrics, what does Carmelina mean??? Is it about a woman? But lines like "I've become spectacular, which is strange coz I feel dumb". I seriously don't get this song.
confused.gif
confused.gif

Nov 9, 2001 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 12
Yea, Carmelina and #11 (can't remember the name, I think it might be "the workers sing a song of mass production") are my least fave on the cd.
The Rat who would be King is reaaaaally good, especially at around the 6 minute mark.

Apparently Matt Good said during a muchmusic interview that he wasn't happy with the album...I dunno why not, I mean, it's freakin great!!!....although I do think that Beautiful Midnight and Underdogs are probably better, they are better than nearly every cd I own imo. ....maybe the there was a shortage of time before it was to be released, who knows....it just makes me damn sad that this album could've been even better. Imagine what it woulda been like...

Oh well....hmmm, maybe he can have a special edition album come out and it will have all of the songs in the form that he intended them to be. I wonder if that's ever happened before..?

Dec 28, 2001 at 4:55 AM Post #8 of 12
I'm a huge fun.. huge. So huge that I decided to register.. haha.
I've got everything but lo-fi too and I've seen them 4 times live.
MGB concerts are so much fun..
heh.
They should be way way way bigger than they are.. but Matt doesn't seem to care about that at all.

Anyways... it's always nice to meet others who are enlightened.
heh.

Jan 1, 2002 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 12
It was about two weeks ago that I heard something really on my local radio station. Some DJ was saying that
"If it isn't for the Canadian Air Play law, you guys won't even have heard of Matt Good Band, we'll be like 'Matt Who?', without the law, we'll be listening to R.E.M. just like rest of the world, these guys tried to make it to the states yet they can't, they're now saying something like 'people from the states can't take our music, they need something from Britney Spears' Pleeeease, the states is where we have Bob Dylan and his lyrics are every bit as good as Matt Good's. And just how many albums did these guys sell? 3 million, that's not so bad and I understand that each person has their own way of defining success but if they call 3 million success then I pity them. Every country has it's own little local band and Matt Good Band is just another local Canadian band just like the Tragically Hip. And how can Matt Good say that they don't like Nickelback? For what? For being successful.......?

And it went on and on, just what do you guys thing, I'll tell you guys later.

Jan 1, 2002 at 4:27 PM Post #10 of 12
It was about two weeks ago that I heard something really aggravating on my local radio station. Some DJ was saying that
"If it isn't for the Canadian Air Play law, you guys won't even have heard of Matt Good Band, we'll be like 'Matt Who?', without the law, we'll be listening to R.E.M. just like rest of the world, these guys tried to make it to the states yet they can't, they're now saying something like 'people from the states can't take our music, they need something from Britney Spears' Pleeeease, the states is where we have Bob Dylan and his lyrics are every bit as good as Matt Good's. And just how many albums did these guys sell? 3 million, that's not so bad and I understand that each person has their own way of defining success but if they call 3 million success then I pity them. Every country has it's own little local band and Matt Good Band is just another local Canadian band just like the Tragically Hip. And how can Matt Good say that they don't like Nickelback? For what? For being successful.......?

And it went on and on, just what do you guys thing, I'll tell you guys later.

Jan 7, 2002 at 6:34 AM Post #11 of 12
Oh man.....I'm sad and worried today.....
Apparently MGB split up again....
Now it's just Matt Good and Rich Priske left, the other two aren't in anymore...i dunno exactly what happened, i cant find any details on the internet yet, but my friend said that he saw matt and dave on muchmusic saying something about being fed up and stressed out ....but then my friend's little sister changed the channel....damn.....anyone hear anything about this? could it just be a misunderstanding on my friends part?
dave genn left in august for 4 days, then returned, and left again in november. for a while there mgb didnt exist, for 4 days...im wondering if its gonna happen again...only this time for real.
Someone please tell me this was a misunderstanding on my friend's part.....
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Jan 8, 2002 at 4:40 PM Post #12 of 12
I think it's more then a misunderstanding, as we all know, Matt Good is a smart guy, he write really good music, but he's also really cynical. Some producers that worked with him has said that Matt Good is a guy that thinks he's the smartest white guy on earth. I like him music mostly, but it appears that going solo would be more suitable for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back