Matrix Mini vs. VALAB
Apr 1, 2010 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dlcleveland

New Head-Fier
Has anyone compared these two DACs? I think I have narrowed my search down to one or the other but I'm not sure which. For a while the VALAB seemed to be recommended quite frequently but now I'm seeing a lot more for the Matrix Mini. The Matrix is about $100 more so I wonder if it's worth it in terms of sound quality? I know the Matrix has a HP amp as well but I don't really need that. My only requirement for a DAC is coxial/usb/optical inputs (and good sound of course!)

Any thoughts on these two are appreciated or let me know if you think there is something better in the $200-300 price range.

Apr 2, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 5
Hi,

I listened to a Matrix last week. Unfortunately I didn't get to a-b with anything else, but it did sound very good - I came away with the impression it has very high resolution of detail. I can't say much more than this because I was listening with unfamiliar cans too but it did seem hard to fault. It definitely wanted warmer cans than the AKGs the shop had.

Any way you can listen before you buy ?

Apr 2, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the impressions on the Matrix. Unfortunately I'm not aware of anyone near me who has either one of these that I could listen to. I really haven't seen any negative reviews to speak of on either one, so maybe I'll just flip a coin! Whichever I end up with I will be using with MS-1i and my speakers, which are Pardigm Atom monitors. Both are somewhat forward sounding so maybe they would pair better with the Valab. From what I have read it seems to have a little more laid back sound as compaired to the Matrix, which is a little more detailed as you said.

Apr 2, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by dlcleveland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the impressions on the Matrix. Unfortunately I'm not aware of anyone near me who has either one of these that I could listen to. I really haven't seen any negative reviews to speak of on either one, so maybe I'll just flip a coin! Whichever I end up with I will be using with MS-1i and my speakers, which are Pardigm Atom monitors. Both are somewhat forward sounding so maybe they would pair better with the Valab. From what I have read it seems to have a little more laid back sound as compaired to the Matrix, which is a little more detailed as you said.

M Mini is very good, especially if you use M2tech Hiface BNC with it.
Get a 75 Ohm shielded BNC cable, you will be surprised how fine Mini sounds.

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by dlcleveland /img/forum/go_quote.gif

M Mini is very good, especially if you use M2tech Hiface BNC with it.
Get a 75 Ohm shielded BNC cable, you will be surprised how fine Mini sounds.

But then you're into it for around $475.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back