Matrix Mini i DAC - is it good enough?
Dec 27, 2010 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ShiroKen

New Head-Fier
Hi guys.  Long story short, I'm finding my way into high(er) end audio.  I recently treated myself to some AKG K701 and I love them.  I had been advised from the start when I was looking into these that I would need a decent headphone amp.  After some reading I decided that the Matrix M-Stage is my best bet.

I also wanted a standalone USB DAC that I intended to hook up to the M-Stage.  My budget is flexible, but I intended to spend around £200 on the amp and £100+ on the DAC.  However, I notice that the Mini i DAC has an integrated headphone amp.

Would this be high quality enough to make the M-Stage redundant, or is it still a worthwhile investment to get the M-Stage anyway?

Also I'm not sure what kind of money buys a good DAC.  I gather that the M-Stage amp is a clone of the Lehman, and for the price it's a bargain; but how much would I be expected to spend to get a DAC of similar quality?  I don't want to end up with mismatched components, ie a crappy DAC and an amazing amp, or vice versa.

Also if anyone could recommend some quality prebuild RCA cables it would be much appreciated.  Again, I'm not sure what kind of money you would be expected to spend to get cables in line with the sound quality of the amp/DAC.

My other option might be a Mavrick Audio D1.  I like the idea of being able to change the opamps, but is the unit a bit low end/mismatched compared to the M-Stage?

Much thanks.

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 6
as a previous owner of the mini-i, I would say the balanced outputs are the only ones that are 'good enough' for the price, although the headphone out was very nice.  The unbalanced out is noticeably of lesser SQ than the balanced out.  I will say that I enjoyed the mini-i over the xda-1 and a few other dacs, just not the anedio d1 dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back