Matrix M-Stage Static/Crinkling Noise
Feb 26, 2015 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TWerk

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey Guys,

I have an M-Stage HPA-2. The unit has what can best be described as a type of static noise in the left channel when plugged in to any of my headphones. It has this noise regardless of whether the amp is connected to a source or not. It is only heard during quiet passages in songs and heard while playing no music with the amp just turned on. It's enough to be an annoyance, especially when quiet passages in songs pop up and I hear in the background this crinkling/ static.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be or what I can try to do o get rid of it? I'm a complete and utter newbie when it comes to issues like this, so I have no clue what's going on. Like I said, it is heard just merely with the amp turned on, no sources attached, and any headphone plugged in. Left side only. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 10
I'll also add that I've tried different wall outlets, and that also makes no difference, so I think it's probably something internal?

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for your answer, tomb! I leave the unit on for long periods of time sometimes, and it can get pretty darn hot. I wonder if that eventually had something to do with it.

Do you think it can possibly be a headphone impedance issue? My headphones are all low impedance (TH900, PRO900, Fidelio X2), and I think the M-stage is more or less designed for higher impedance headphones. 

Well, I've emailed Matrix. Hopefully it's still covered under warranty. Do you think that would be an expensive repair if that is the problem and I'm out of warranty period?

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 10
  Thanks for your answer, tomb! I leave the unit on for long periods of time sometimes, and it can get pretty darn hot. I wonder if that eventually had something to do with it.

Do you think it can possibly be a headphone impedance issue? My headphones are all low impedance (TH900, PRO900, Fidelio X2), and I think the M-stage is more or less designed for higher impedance headphones. 

Well, I've emailed Matrix. Hopefully it's still covered under warranty. Do you think that would be an expensive repair if that is the problem and I'm out of warranty period?

I can't answer all of those questions, except one: if the amp is damaged with those headphones and their impedances, it shouldn't be on the market.  IOW, no.

Heat can cause premature failure with many components - capacitors and transistors included.  Or, it could be something in the power supply, too.  E-mailing Matrix is the proper course of action.  When they reply, by all means relate the same things you've said here.  If nothing else, their answers should help to put your mind at ease.

Mar 4, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #7 of 10
Hey Tomb,

I emailed matrix, described the situation, and got a response which said....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Ryan,

According to your situation, you may need add an impedance cable between headphone and amplifier to fit your system.

Thanks,
Best regards,
Yang
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any idea what he means? What is an impedance cable?

Mar 4, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #9 of 10
Mar 4, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #10 of 10
Yes, he thinks I'm hearing this little static noise sometimes because M-stage is better compatible with higher imp headphones. I wish I had a higher imp headphone to test it out with. It's not a big deal though I guess, I'm just super picky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back