Matrix M-Stage, Sheer Audio Dynalo, Audio GD C2C or Terminator
Apr 5, 2010 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

buz

500+ Head-Fier
Another one of those threads.

I am seriously contemplating an amp to go with my soon to be here (*knockonwood*) D2000 and J$ pads.

I am leaning towards the Matrix M-Stage but I am not entirely certain yet (also want to hear it out of the NG98 first). Potentially going to get a HD6XX after the D2000 but that is not decided yet.

Main criteria: The amp should sound good at low volume (which is helped by the M-Stage's adjustable gain) to be able to use it with high sensitivity phones (the NG98 is too loud with the RX700 for one and just barely tolerable with the MDR-V6). If I can swap opamps, that's nice.

Another option would be to wait for the E9 (I will probably get an E7 for on the road anyhow) which looks interesting to say the least but it's hard to judge how well it perform.

And I don't think I want tubes.

Budget is 300, maybe 400 if there is a significant advantage to be had.

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by buz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another one of those threads.

I am seriously contemplating an amp to go with my soon to be here (*knockonwood*) D2000 and J$ pads.

I am leaning towards the Matrix M-Stage but I am not entirely certain yet (also want to hear it out of the NG98 first). Potentially going to get a HD6XX after the D2000 but that is not decided yet.

Main criteria: The amp should sound good at low volume (which is helped by the M-Stage's adjustable gain) to be able to use it with high sensitivity phones (the NG98 is too loud with the RX700 for one and just barely tolerable with the MDR-V6). If I can swap opamps, that's nice.

Another option would be to wait for the E9 (I will probably get an E7 for on the road anyhow) which looks interesting to say the least but it's hard to judge how well it perform.

And I don't think I want tubes.

Budget is 300, maybe 400 if there is a significant advantage to be had.

I think TERMINATOR is right.
UHCMOS will supply what the low resistent earphone needs.

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 11
I would get the Dynalo if I were you.

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #5 of 11
Three people, three answers
smily_headphones1.gif
There are some reports about the Terminator behaving badly... How about the NuForce HDP?

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #6 of 11
There is a new improved version coming out I am told, maybe wait for that.

He also says it have improvement on the sound too, mainly on the treble.

My second choice would be the Dynalo.

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #7 of 11
Improved Terminator? Still leaning towards the M-Stage though...

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif
There are some reports about the Terminator behaving badly... How about the NuForce HDP?

just a serendipitous event.

Over fifty amps have been sold out,few is wrong.

Sometimes overseas EMS shipping may cause trouble.

I will solve it.

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

I'm currently using D2000's with the HDP and it sounds really good. I have no experience with the other amps listed here so I won't comment on them, but you'll enjoy the HDP/D2000 synergy IMO. The dac section is very nice for the price as well, and distinctively edges out the Pico dac ($350 retail, maybe $100 less used).

Apr 11, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #10 of 11
How loud is the D2000 before you get channel imbalance on the HDP? I fear the high gain may be an issue for someone who generally listens quite moderately volume (as benchmark, I would use maybe 1/3 of the Clips volume with the D2000, say to reach 60db)

I just plugged my D2000 into my ancient (over 10 years now) 5.0 technics receiver and it sounded a lot better than out of the NG98 so now I know I really need an amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

How loud is the D2000 before you get channel imbalance on the HDP? I fear the high gain may be an issue for someone who generally listens quite moderately volume (as benchmark, I would use maybe 1/3 of the Clips volume with the D2000, say to reach 60db)

I just plugged my D2000 into my ancient (over 10 years now) 5.0 technics receiver and it sounded a lot better than out of the NG98 so now I know I really need an amp
smily_headphones1.gif

The channels balance out at 6 o'clock, and I feel the volume is too soft for even nighttime, about-to-fall-asleep levels. Different people, different ears, but I think you'll be fine with the HDP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back