Matrix Element S - finally a dedicated streamer from Matrix!
Dec 12, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #109 of 160
I just skimmed over your reviews of the Cen.Grand Silver Fox and DSDAC1.0 Deluxe and was wondering how they sound against the May KTE and Bliss KTE?
You wrote that they are the best you heard - at least for the DAC if I remember correctly. Sorry if you mentioned it already. I haven't had the time to fully read all the details.
Would you think it is worth upgrading to them if one owns the MAY/BLISS KTE combo?
That means once I2S has been added to the DAC of course.
You piqued my interest with your review I need to admit.

Sorry I haven't spent enough time with the Holo gear to really compare. I quite enjoyed the May but would not choose it over the Cen.Grand - it's great, but to my ears a step down in comparison. And I really haven't spent any meaningful time with the Bliss so no impressions there.

Not very helpful at all, sorry!

Dec 12, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #110 of 160
But we still need the roon firmware upgrade. I am also on 1.0.5 Build 14, but still shows Uncertified in roon

I wonder if people who just update to 1.0.5 build 14 right now are somehow enabled, while those of us who already had it are not? I'm still showing the uncertified thing as well but clearly @Dragon Leader is working properly.

I will try to reboot my Roon Core and see if maybe that forces a change or an update on that end.

Dec 12, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #112 of 160
I wonder if people who just update to 1.0.5 build 14 right now are somehow enabled, while those of us who already had it are not? I'm still showing the uncertified thing as well but clearly @Dragon Leader is working properly.

I will try to reboot my Roon Core and see if maybe that forces a change or an update on that end.
I reset my roon Core and now element S shows Roon Ready!

Attachments

• 20231212_133441.jpg
    20231212_133441.jpg
    1,014.7 KB · Views: 0
Dec 13, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #119 of 160
I'm hoping someone can enlighten me about how this steamer's standby feature works...

I have a Matrix Element M2 in my downstairs system and it works exactly as I want. When I open the Matrix app, the M2 can be seen in the device list and has a valid IP address, so I can turn it on or interact with it as needed without having to be physically at the DAC. This is true even if I've put the DAC into standby using the red power button on the remote control.

The Element S does not seem to work right at all but comparison. It shows up in the device list of the Matrix app because it had been paired, but it always says device is offline. I have to physically go to the streamer and press the power button in order to get it to connect. It then stays connected for a few minutes before one again claiming to be offline. I thought this was the automatic standby feature, so I disabled it, but the S still shows as offline within a minute or so of me not touching the screen any longer. Does anyone know what causes this?

I bought this S for my audio room, and it is physically inconvenient to have to constantly touch the screen to keep the streamer alive, as the streamer is quite remote from my listening position.

Dec 13, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #120 of 160
Perhaps I wrote too soon. It seems to be working fine now. Maybe there is a magnetic field or something near the front of my rack that keeps shutting the streamer off. I did notice that the screen would go fully black, including the power button that is usually lit, when it starts showing as offline.

Edit: nope, it's back to misbehaving. It also won't seem to detect my M Scaler over USB.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back