Matrix Cube vs Mini-I
Jul 19, 2011 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

LFG530

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I was wondering why a company would keep two similar products so similar in price? What are the big differences between those two? Are they a good place to start for building a good "rig" (for hd 650)? 

If you ever had the chance to try both how would you compare the mini-i to the audio gd's fun? 

p.s Is Audio-GD still running because their website is half down, where should I buy if I choose them?

Thanks for the advice.

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 9
Not that many people around here seem to have gone with the Cube for whatever reason. I enjoy mine but I haven't heard the Mini-i so I can't compare them directly.

Although similar in price, they do have their own feature sets - Mini-i has balanced output and can be used as a preamp. The new version even comes with a remote. The Cube has defeatable ASRC which in my experience makes it less dependant on a high quality transport. Cube also has analog inputs for using the amp section with a different source such as SACD or DVD-A players. It seems like both are good options for the money.

I wasn't aware that Audio GD was having website issues. Pacific Valve sells some of their gear, although some people have speculated that they don't actually have their own stock of the products.... they just take orders and let the product be shipped from Audio GD, with an increased delay. I don't know how true that is though. Audio GD stuff pops up more often in the used section here, you might try that. 

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
Not that many people around here seem to have gone with the Cube for whatever reason. I enjoy mine but I haven't heard the Mini-i so I can't compare them directly.

Although similar in price, they do have their own feature sets - Mini-i has balanced output and can be used as a preamp. The new version even comes with a remote. The Cube has defeatable ASRC which in my experience makes it less dependant on a high quality transport. Cube also has analog inputs for using the amp section with a different source such as SACD or DVD-A players. It seems like both are good options for the money.

I wasn't aware that Audio GD was having website issues. Pacific Valve sells some of their gear, although some people have speculated that they don't actually have their own stock of the products.... they just take orders and let the product be shipped from Audio GD, with an increased delay. I don't know how true that is though. Audio GD stuff pops up more often in the used section here, you might try that. 

Mmmmm, thanks for the answer, that explains the existence of both products...  How is the cube doing as an amp (let's say for someone who has to wait a bit before buying an external one)? 

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #4 of 9
Heya,

The Cube is a great DAC and the AMP is rather decent. Anyone looking for a good source component that can grow, the Cube is it. Lots of options. Inputs from anything you can possibly imagine. Upscales. You can switch between devices too, so it's not a lot of unplugging and replugging, etc. I find amplifiers are not as important as simply having a great DAC for source and of course source audio being lossless. Anyhow, I still use my Little Dot MK III with my Cube simply because the Little Dot is a tube amp and I like to switch to it often. But the Cube can push my headphones, all of them, no problem. And it sounds great. It's just not tubey, which is why I have a separate tube amp for that. Otherwise, I have no need for a stand alone solid state amp when the Cube performs fine for that. I'm more interested in it as a DAC anyways, and it does that job beautifully. It can easily push 300ohm headphones.

The Mini and it are nearly the same thing if you look it over. The Mini is more expensive, comes with a remote and has a digital front plate that has a read out.

I happen to think the Cube look better too.

Very best,

Jul 20, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #5 of 9
I agree the cube looks better and I'd rather have switches than a lcd screen, but I'm looking for the best dac between the two, also from what I've read the amp circuit is slightly better in the mini... But since people here seem to really like the cube I might just go with it and keep the 70$ to spend on an amp...

Where is it better to buy matrix products? Which website is legit, because there's this one: http://www.matrixelectronics.net/ and this one http://www.matrix-digi.com/ ...

Nobody has toughts on Audio-Gd's fun vs Matrix Cube/mini ? 

Jul 20, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 9
I don't recall anyone owning both the Cube and the Mini-i and posting impressions about how they compare. Realistically I think you would be safe with either - just pick the one that fits your needs best. 

Matrix-digi.com is the official Matrix website, but they don't sell directly. I got all my Matrix products (M-Stage, Cube, Quattro DAC, Quattro amp) from TamAudio: http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=56  Great seller, with a proven track record and a competitive price compared to some of the eBay sellers. 

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
I don't recall anyone owning both the Cube and the Mini-i and posting impressions about how they compare. Realistically I think you would be safe with either - just pick the one that fits your needs best. 

Matrix-digi.com is the official Matrix website, but they don't sell directly. I got all my Matrix products (M-Stage, Cube, Quattro DAC, Quattro amp) from TamAudio: http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=56  Great seller, with a proven track record and a competitive price compared to some of the eBay sellers. 

Here's a small question, why would you own these two amps and two DAC ?

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #9 of 9
That's a fair question. I've been buying and trying all sorts of gear in the last few years, and keeping the best of it. I've got way too much stuff at the moment.... Believe it or not, I do use all of it though. I've got several little "listening stations" in different rooms of the house, as well as a setup at work. I've also loaned some of it out to friends and relatives.

The funny thing is that there are people around here with way more gear than me.

As for XLR on the Mini-i: it could be handy if you want to connect a balanced headphone amp down the road. Many powered studio monitor type speakers also have XLR connections. But the value is arguable because single ended connection are usually available as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back