Matrix Cube DAC - ASRC sound
Sep 1, 2013 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

CollectoR13

Head-Fier
Hello!

Just wanted to know if there is anybody who is owning (or having owned) the Matrix Cube DAC and is so kind to share his opinions of the sound the ASRC switch produces.
Or doesn't it change anything?
I am eventually going to buy this DAC, so I hope somebody can give me an.

Thank you!

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #3 of 15
Hello!

Just wanted to know if there is anybody who is owning (or having owned) the Matrix Cube DAC and is so kind to share his opinions of the sound the ASRC switch produces.
Or doesn't it change anything?
I am eventually going to buy this DAC, so I hope somebody can give me an.

Thank you!

Heya,

Doesn't change anything honestly. I have used it with and without the ASRC on. Makes no difference. Neat idea, technically. But acoustically it just doesn't do anything in my experience.

I like the Matrix Cube. It's a very warm, lovely amp with a very capable clean DAC. I like that it can output to a source and still have output to the headphone port, so you can listen to two headphones from the same source. Nice size. Great build quality.

Very best,

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 15
Thank you very much!

I think I am going to use it as a dac only, with toslink input from my pc, coax from my cd transport and analog input from my turntable, analog out goes then through a little dot mkiii.

How is the analog input working?
Does it amplify the signal?
And how do you choose it as source, it seems that there is no switch?
And are there any alternatives in its price range, with same features (coax, toslink, analog input)?

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 15
Thank you very much!

I think I am going to use it as a dac only, with toslink input from my pc, coax from my cd transport and analog input from my turntable, analog out goes then through a little dot mkiii.

How is the analog input working?
Does it amplify the signal?
And how do you choose it as source, it seems that there is no switch?
And are there any alternatives in its price range, with same features (coax, toslink, analog input)?

Heya,

Analog input works fine. I've had it hooked to a turntable.
It doesn't amplify signals, but it does have a line level output (which is amplified, but only to a degree, to maintain line level).
Analog as a source just works if I remember right. The source selection on the front just applies to digital since it can only do one of those at a time.

As for alternatives, remember the Cube is a dac with an amplifier. There are many DACs out there with digital and analog inputs. Just depends on what else you're looking for.

I would probably get the Maverick TubeMagic D1 if you wanted a DAC with digital and analog options with clear selection. It also has a tube pre-out stage as a bonus. Costs less too.

Very best,

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #6 of 15
Thanks!

I am looking for a dac with a neutral yet dynamic sound, under 200$.
Upsampling would be a nice feature, but is not needed.
Any advice for a good sounding unit?

Sorry didn't see your edit...
Is the sound of the maverick comparable to the matrix cube?

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 15
Thanks!

I am looking for a dac with a neutral yet dynamic sound, under 200$.
Upsampling would be a nice feature, but is not needed.
Any advice for a good sounding unit?

Heya,

Again, see the TubeMagic D1+.

Before you go further, ask yourself, why do you think you need upsampling? This feature does zero. Absolutely zero. You cannot make something sound like it has more information than it already contains. Upsampling is pointless. I only go on about it because you'll find most units lack this feature because it's again, not a real feature, more of a gimmick to catch buyers. Doesn't do anything real. It's like telling someone that a new upsampling feature will make a 128kbps MP3 sound like a 320kbps MP3--this is impossible as it cannot magically fetch the information that doesn't exist due to compression in the first place. Same concept. Upsampling doesn't change the sound. It just shows up as a new number.

Very best,

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 15
You totally convinced me for the upsampling part. :)

But how good is the maverick against the matrix?
Are they same level or....?

I have to say, i am currently having a asus xonar essence one on loan...
It is broken, upsampling doesn't work, but it sounds good.
Good, nothing more, you know, just a tad too clean...
It has details, but I would appreciate more dynamics.
AND it is kind of pricey, I would say my absolute maximum for a dac is 200$.

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #9 of 15
Heya,

I have the Cube and the Maverick(s). All very comparable. Also the Bifrost, NFB12, etc.

For $200, I would get the TubeMagic D1+ as a DAC. It has digital, analog, and tube pre-amp out for a price that nothing else compares to with that feature load and is very good at what it does when used strictly as a DAC.

Very best,

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #10 of 15
Thats cool!

How about the details on the maverick?
Are they comparable to those of the essence one?
I hope the maverick could deliver both resolution (good dac chip and analog chip) and dynamics (tube output).
Would you think modding it with a better tube and a discrete opamp would take it on level with the essence one?

Sorry for all these questions, it is cool to talk to someone actually owning these devices :wink:

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #11 of 15
Thats cool!

How about the details on the maverick?
Are they comparable to those of the essence one?
I hope the maverick could deliver both resolution (good dac chip and analog chip) and dynamics (tube output).
Would you think modding it with a better tube and a discrete opamp would take it on level with the essence one?

Sorry for all these questions, it is cool to talk to someone actually owning these devices
wink.gif

Heya,

I can't say, since I'm not modding anything. But you're talking about things that are 99.9% preference based, not technical based. But yes, assuming you wanted to make it technically better, then you could go with assumed better tubes, or better opamps, etc. But it's questionable why, since you're using it as a DAC, not an amplifier. So I would not put a lot of focus on those things in this manner.

To put it mildly though, comparing my Bifrost to my Maverick, I use my Maverick. It just sounds better to me and I use it for the tube pre-amp out. Again, preference trumps what you can read on paper as technical bits and pieces.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back