Math rock Post-Rock Progressive Rock
Oct 29, 2009 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

aj-kun

500+ Head-Fier
I need a bit more musical education
smily_headphones1.gif

what bands in these genres should i be listening to ?(i recently found i like these genres)

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 30
Math rock- Battles, Don Caballero
Post rock- Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky
Progressive- Genesis (The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Selling England by the Pound), Jethro Tull (Thick as a Brick), Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd

For more prog, check out progarchives.org

I know those are pretty generic suggestions, but they get a lot of mention for a reason.

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 30
Prog: Yes, ELP, King Crimson, Van der Graaf Generator, etc.

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 30
yeh i had stuff from the battles and the field(trance i know) had it for ages before i got into headphones, only started to appreciate both their stuff after it started randomly playing on itunes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #5 of 30
Math rock - Rodan, Slint, Bastro, Drive Like Jehu, Don Caballero, Shellac, Polvo, June of 44, Chavez, Faraquet, Shipping News

Oct 30, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #8 of 30
MATH ROCK: Don Caballero for sure. Then Hella and Battles.

POST-ROCK: Sigur Ros, Mogwai, Explosions In The Sky & Godspeed You! Black Emperor are the usual suspects and essentials when it comes to this genre, but there's really A LOT more out there.

PROG ROCK: A very vast genre, but these are the essential bands imho: Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Rush & Van der Graaf Generator. For new prog, nothing beats Porcupine Tree.

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #9 of 30
Do you like Rush? If so, have you ever wondered what Rush would sound like if there were no vocals and they played music with more Jazz influence? Then check out this band - Ecstasy in Numbers

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #10 of 30
For post-rock I also recommend checking out the first album of This Will Destroy You along with the other recommendations.

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #11 of 30
Definitely check out God is an Astronaut, especially the album 'All is violent, All is bright'.

I like this band more then Mogwai/Explosions in the sky/Godspeed You etc.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #12 of 30
Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die is a must own. the first track, "Djed" is utterly brilliant. the rest of the album is no slouch, either.

Oct 30, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #14 of 30
I might have a different definition of Math Rock, but to me it has always been The Hold Steady and Lifter Puller

Oct 30, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is the trouble with recommendation threads
tongue.gif
the OP usually ends up overwhelmed with the sheer number of recommendations. hehe.

i totally agree. that's why i just recommended one specific album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back