Material and audio quality of digital cables
Sep 17, 2013 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MahthovenWang

Head-Fier
Hi guys I was just looking for an upgrade digital cable (apple 30 pin to USB A connector) and I'm wondering if silver or silver and copper hybrid or silver with gold injection used in this cable would actually make any difference. Any help is much appreciated :)

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 3
Probably no difference at all. A $10 working digital cable should offer the same performance a $200 working one. It's a digital transmission, so unless a cheap cable is dropping or scrambling digital packets--which would create "holes" in the sound you hear (I understand it sounds like a stutter or fuzz where there is drop out), then the transmission of the audio signal should be the same.

I'm not an Apple person, but I would suspect that the standard digital cables you can buy from Apple will work fine or Apple wouldn't sell them. :)

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 3
Completely agree. With digital, aside from a faulty cable, the material can not affect the qualities of the sound The only things that can affect the sound is when there either is an analog conversion or an analog transmission.  In this case we are talking about digital. As a same binary pattern of 1's and 0's will not convert any differently whether they transmit across copper or silver. Think of it this way.  If you have an original cd and compare it too a lossless copy on a hard disk. One source is made from plastic, and the other from metal.  None the less, its the same principle.  Both are capable of providing the same binary source to the DAC, with no difference in sound.  They will both provide sequence of binary data to the DAC.  The DAC in turn will convert that to the same analog signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back