Matchup: CD3000 vs. HD 600 vs. RS -1
Jul 16, 2001 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

sackley

Audiophile can you spare a dime?
All right, at the end of this summer I am purchasing the MGHead DT which is going to be running off a Dio 2496 (No, it's not meant to be the 2448). I also intend to purchase a new set of cans. I love my Grado SR-225's, but I want something really good so I can get this itching in me to stop for a while. My question is that if I was going to go with one of the above, which should I go for? Price range is not too big of an issue to me if you saw the HP-1 auction. I went up to 451 on em. Dammit, I wish I got them. Oh well.
rolleyes.gif
Anyways, I would like to hear your opinions since I know a lot of you know more than I do. Thanks.

Jul 16, 2001 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 40
sackley,
I found the 600's a little too laid back for me, but spiced-up with the addition of a DAC. The RS-1's really didn't give me enough stimulation to warrant the price, but may be great with your set-up (less treble response than the 225's, more defined bass).

The 3000's sound absolutely great with the MGHead DT, and to me are one of the best all-round listening phones that I have heard. They are closed, but have an airy feel. Quite remarkable for a closed can, and definitely worth the price.

GOOD LUCK!

Jul 16, 2001 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 40
Well...
For classical music, HD600
For rock, RS-1
For a pretty case, CD3000
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2001 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 40
sackley, those are the three headphones I'll be listening to, hopefully by the end of the week. I'm waiting for my MO to get to MikeR17 and then he'll ship the Sony MDR-CD3000s. I only heard them briefly at the NYC show and was duly impressed.
Between the RS-1s and Senn HD-600s, both of which I have, I would say that, if you love your 225s, you'll find the Senns a bit too laid back, as I do. They are extremely smooth and non-fatiguing, but, for my tastes, they are best suited for classical and large orchestral works.
The RS-1s provide me with the Grado sound, which I'm very partial to, and they give it to you in a very refined way. Not as detailed in the upper register as the 325s, but a bit smoother. And the bass is nice...... tight and deep.
Almost forgot about the amp. I have the MG Head as well, and IMHO I think it matches up better with the Senns. It really opens them up and gives them a less dark presentation. The upper midrange comes forward a bit. With the RS-1s, while very nice, the Head seems a bit tilted toward the high end and a tad weak in the bass. Of course, this is all my opinion. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2001 at 5:23 PM Post #6 of 40
I dunno Gemul, the HD600 comes in a case that's very similar to the CD3000's, and of course the RS-1 used to come in a wooden case that was even nicer...

Jul 16, 2001 at 5:55 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

No contest Sackley, of the 3 phones you mention the Grado RS1 is the best by a mile.

Hmmm... While I would agree that the Grado and Senn are better than the Sony, it's a bold statement to say that the Grado's are "the best by a mile" over the HD600. Both are among the best headphones you can get, but they have very different sounds. If you like the "Grado sound" you'll like the RS-1s; but the HD600 are just as good.

Jul 16, 2001 at 5:58 PM Post #9 of 40
Neruda, the CD3000's case called Big Jewel Box.

If you see it with your own eyes, I'm sure you can't say the HD600 comes in a case that's very similar to the CD3000's
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2001 at 6:48 PM Post #10 of 40
Gemul is right...

I have both the Sennheiser 600s and the Sony 3000s. Looking at the two cases side by side, the Sony's looks much nicer. The Sony's case is a little bigger, wrapper in leather, and has a nice interior too, which provides great protection for the headphones.

Joe, hopefully that money order will arrive soon. Part of the reason I'm selling these headphones is so I can buy a nice headphone amp and I was thinking about getting the MG Head. I have the Sennheiser HD600 headphones which I like a lot and I hear that the MG Head is a good amp for it.

Jul 16, 2001 at 7:00 PM Post #11 of 40
macDEF, you don't own the CD3000's, how do you know the other phones are better? Have you auditioned the CD3000's? Gemul, same question(s). Sorry to be so inquisitive, but I don't think it's right to say things about a headphone that you don't know much about (especially when it's so expensive; it's not as big a deal with cheap headphones. God knows I've done the same thing many times). I'll forget the case thing though, since the HD600's case is inferior to the CD3000's. But the RS-1's old case! damn! too bad they stopped using those
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2001 at 8:01 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

macDEF, you don't own the CD3000's, how do you know the other phones are better? Have you auditioned the CD3000's?

Neruda, my mistake -- I should have written "From everything I've heard I would agree that the Grado and Senn are better than the Sony." I was going by reviews here and from HeadRoom. However, I should just edit that whole sentence out because the point I was *really* trying to make was with respect to acidtrip's contention that that the RS-1s are "better by a mile" than the other two, which is quite a questionable statement.

Jul 16, 2001 at 8:12 PM Post #14 of 40
I would say the jury is still out as far as conventional wisdom on the CD3000 among Headwizers/HeadFiers. I liked them better than the 600s, although my experience is not the same as others.

I think it will be several more thorough reviews of the CD3000s by reliable community members before we can make general comments about where the 3000s fit into the "headphone hierarchy".

markl

Jul 16, 2001 at 8:19 PM Post #15 of 40
I definitely agree, mark. We can't assume under any circumstances that the Grado or Senn is better than the CD3000...At least not yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back