Matching with Beyerdynamic DT880 pro
Apr 29, 2014 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mehrdadiii

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I want to buy DT880 pro. What amp matches with Dt880 pro?
smily_headphones1.gif

What impedance should I choose for my laptop?32,250 or 600 ohm?
Can I mix my music using this headphone with the internal soundcard of my laptop?
Or I have to use external soundcard or maybe expresscard sound card?

thank you very much
normal_smile .gif

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 8
  Hello,
I want to buy DT880 pro. What amp matches with Dt880 pro?
smily_headphones1.gif

What impedance should I choose for my laptop?32,250 or 600 ohm?
Can I mix my music using this headphone with the internal sound card of my laptop?
Or I have to use external sound card or maybe expresscard sound card?

thank you very much
normal_smile .gif

Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250-Ohm
Creative Labs Omni 5.1 external sound card.

Apr 29, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 8
  you mean no amp is needed, right?
and Can I mix in 5.1 with this sound card and DT880 pro?

Thank you very much for replying.
L3000.gif

The Omni 5.1 comes with a built in headphone amplifier.
I know very little about mixing.
For listening the Omni 5.1 should be able to convert 6-channels of audio into 2-channels of headphone audio.
For creating, the Omni 5.1 software might come with some sort of 6-channel mixing software or you should be able to buy software that does 5.1 mixing.

Apr 30, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 8

The Omni 5.1 comes with a built in headphone amplifier.
I know very little about mixing.
For listening the Omni 5.1 should be able to convert 6-channels of audio into 2-channels of headphone audio.
For creating, the Omni 5.1 software might come with some sort of 6-channel mixing software or you should be able to buy software that does 5.1 mixing.

I use Cubase 5 that is able to support 5.1 mixing.If the sound card support 6-channels I will be able to mix in 5.1.
Is creative Omni 5.1 have this ability?
And my genre is Classical, Pop ,House, Slow rock. Is DT880 pro suitable for my purpose?
because I heard DT880 has a bright sound and good at treble(not at bass and mid-range as well).
he said that I should use an amp that is good at bass and mid-range to make DT880 pro a Hi-fi full-range headphone.
I search for the sound card.Do you mean "Creative Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1"?
Is there "blaster" in its name?

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #6 of 8
  I use Cubase 5 that is able to support 5.1 mixing.If the sound card support 6-channels I will be able to mix in 5.1.
Is creative Omni 5.1 have this ability?
And my genre is Classical, Pop ,House, Slow rock. Is DT880 pro suitable for my purpose?
because I heard DT880 has a bright sound and good at treble(not at bass and mid-range as well).
he said that I should use an amp that is good at bass and mid-range to make DT880 pro a Hi-fi full-range headphone.
I search for the sound card.Do you mean "Creative Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1"?
Is there "blaster" in its name?

I would assume Cubase 5 is more likely to use the main CPU for it's audio processing functions and may not be that dependent on what audio processor is in the computer (or on the sound card).
The DT880 is a good balance of bass/mids/treble and it's treble is a little on the bright side.
Picking the right headphone for bass is more important then what amplifier you use.
A good quality headphone amplifier helps bring out the best in a headphone, but a headphone amplifier can't really change the basic "nature" of the headphone.
From my understanding, you do not want to use a headphone with big bass for audio production, because later on any end-user who uses listen to the same audio with a headphone with a lighter bass will feel something is missing.
The AKG K612 Pro headphones seem to have a well balanced (well liked) sound to it.
The full name for the Omni 5.1 is the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1
Creative only makes one device with the name "Omni 5.1" somewhere in it's title.

May 1, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #7 of 8

I would assume Cubase 5 is more likely to use the main CPU for it's audio processing functions and may not be that dependent on what audio processor is in the computer (or on the sound card).
The DT880 is a good balance of bass/mids/treble and it's treble is a little on the bright side.
Picking the right headphone for bass is more important then what amplifier you use.
A good quality headphone amplifier helps bring out the best in a headphone, but a headphone amplifier can't really change the basic "nature" of the headphone.
From my understanding, you do not want to use a headphone with big bass for audio production, because later on any end-user who uses listen to the same audio with a headphone with a lighter bass will feel something is missing.
The AKG K612 Pro headphones seem to have a well balanced (well liked) sound to it.
The full name for the Omni 5.1 is the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1
Creative only makes one device with the name "Omni 5.1" somewhere in it's title.

I asked for Omni 5.1;According to headphone buying advice, they told me why don't you choose your soundcard from the brand
M-audio, Focusrite, ICON, etc?
He said are you sure that Creative gives you the same quality as M-audio does?
I want to know about the sound quality comparison of Creative Soundcards?
Is Omni 5.1 have the ability to support also monitors and professional microphones?

I checked my Cubase 5. it has 5.1 output. but in output channel, only left and right are send to my soundcard. others outputs are missing.it is written:"nothing".
what should I do? Is the problem with my internal soundcard?
thank you

May 1, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 8

I haven't had much luck driving the DT-880 PRO off a portable device or laptop.  It'll play okay, and if you don't have something to compare with, even sounds pretty good.  However, once you apply a little power with a dedicated HP amp or some connection with power you will not appreciate what these can really do.  Big difference and worth shelling out the money, if you can afford it that is.

I'm running mine now through a vintage STR-V55 receiver (lots of power, but not as quiet as I would like), or the LD3, which drive them nicely.

Enjoy your listening!~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back