Matching source to iems? Super.fi EB to Cowon x2? suggestions?
Oct 29, 2007 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Csi

Head-Fier
So I have a general question regarding pairing a DAP to cans? Ideally do you look for a source that makes up for the shortcomings of the cans? Is it preferable to find a source that highlights. accentuates and just brings out the strength of your cans?

In my mind, finding a source that makes up for the shortcomings makes logical sense. That being said, I am afraid that the strengths of the cans can be lost or subdued.

Anyway for my specific case, I listen mostly to hip-hop and rap. I also listen to a lot of rock, alternative and trance. For these reasons it became clear that trying out the Super.fi5 EB would meet my needs. I am particularly attracted to the fact that it's strength is its bass. I understand that mids and highs are quite colored compared to other IEMs.

Anyway i'm interested in getting a new portable source. I'd want to keep the budget as low as possible but will pay up around the 250-300 buck range. The Cowon x2 seems like a solid solution as it has a decent SQ and can easily power super.fi EB from the headphone jack. However, I am reading about the Cowon's brightness and coloration. Would it be fake sounding if you combine to colorful items together? Should I instead pair with it the more neutral sounding ipods....?

I know Kenwoods are nice but they seem like too much of a hassle to get. I'd rather avoid the rivers, dells, and Hp's as they are discontinued. I am afraid of the lack of support or inability to get a unit fixed in the case something bad happens as I will be using the player a lot.

Are there players that are known to fit my musical tastes? Any particular players that have synergy with my chosen IEMs?

Additional notes:
I don't care about the player's storage capacity.

I prefer flash drives as I plan to be moving around a lot. I'll listening to my portable setup at least 4 hours a day, in my commute and gym time. That being said I believe the traditional hard drives can function and have decent life with this so I don't think it is a problem?

Video playbook is not really important to me

Looks do kind of matter. I know, i'm a shallow wannabe audiophile. Of course my primary concern is SQ!

Oct 29, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #2 of 4
^ and I meant D2 lol!

Oct 30, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #3 of 4
^

Oct 30, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 4
Bah not help from anybody
frown.gif

Too late now, hahaha. I had too much time to think and just dwell on what to do I just ended up making an impulse buy.

I bought the Samsung Yp-P2 and it is estimated to arrive this Friday!

I also finally won an auction for the Super.fi EB.

WOOoo another 350 burned to the Audio gods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back