Matching source and IEM?
Mar 10, 2008 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Lilac1

New Head-Fier
Hello all, first post on this forum after quite some time lurking.
I'm sorry to say that this will be yet another purchasing decision thread, but I hope you'll bear with me.

A few days ago, I recieved a pair of etymotics (er6i) and upon hearing them on my 2g shuffle, I was quite amazed that anything could sound so tinny, narrow and at times harsh, and still be above the 20$ price range.

I changed source to my integrated amp and the sound difference was there, to say the least. As I'm sure you know, the er6 isn't high end by any standard, but it still sounded most capable when using a high-quality source.

I'm in the market for a new portable setup (replacing my etymotics and shuffle), and I wondered if any of you have positive experiences with DAP + IEM matchmaking.

This will be an unamped setup, and I mainly listen to rock music. Cymbals which sound like sheets of glass breaking are not at the top of my list, and as far as an "ideal sound signature" goes, I'd ask for something resembling the grado SR80s against a neutral, or atleast not too colored source.

The etymotic sound signature, although neutral and descriptive, is not what I'm after, although the bass was almost sufficient. I also found them quite uncomfortable with either earpiece.

Bright, clear, and not too much emphasis on bass in other words, sound being subjective and all.

Price is not a factor, yet there's no need for overkill. This setup will be used in noisy environments after all, not for critical listening.

I appreciate any help. Although there are many IEM reviews pointing in the same direction, the DAP market seems more caught up in rivalry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back