MATCHING HEADPHONES, CABLES & AMPLIFIERS: HARDER THAN IT SHOULD BE (VERY LONG POST)
Aug 23, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #17 of 32
Terrific work!

I realised on reading one of your replies above that the LCD3 you "[have had] for a few years now" must be the 'classic', now often designated 3C to distinguish it from the recently introduced Fazor (3F) version. Might be worth making that clear in your text as I understand the two models sound slightly different.

Thanks again for a very good review/comparison.

Aug 24, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #18 of 32
Terrific work!

I realised on reading one of your replies above that the LCD3 you "[have had] for a few years now" must be the 'classic', now often designated 3C to distinguish it from the recently introduced Fazor (3F) version. Might be worth making that clear in your text as I understand the two models sound slightly different.

Thanks again for a very good review/comparison.

Excellent observation!

I bought the LCD3 shortly after it came out.  I do not post an in-depth discussion of any gear until I feel I have the full measure of it and that usually takes several months, sometimes a few years.  Meanwhile, a new "version" comes out...

I have listened to the LCD3F in several short sessions at the dealer's.  The difference from the LCD3C is slight.  The sound of the LCD3  was not changed in any fundamental way, i.e. the tonal balance remains the same though there are slight improvements in several areas.  If I were looking for a new pair of LCD3, I would definitely choose the LCD3F.  But I do not consider the improvement large enough to justify trading in the LCD3C.

If you look at many stores and online dealers, they still sell the new versions as LCD3. Do you know if the designation LCD3F is ever adopted or endorsed by Audeze?  Anyway, the LCD3 will remain LCD3 because that was the name on its birth certificate.  I will, however, put a note somewhere to remind readers that this is the original LCD3 though I am afraid the message may still be lost in a 30-page discussion.

Thank you again for the good suggestion.       

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #19 of 32
I think the 3F and C designations are strictly head-fi. I haven't noticed any Audez'e staff member use them when posting here...

Like you, I take a long time to get to know (and usually enjoy) my gear. I own the LCD2r1, and after 3 years decided I was ready for the LCD3 earlier this year. Unbeknownst to me, it had become the LCD3F by that time :wink:

Thanks again :beerchug:

Aug 25, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #20 of 32
I'm curious about the HD800>Soloist match. I personally think it has a sparkly treble but never bright, something that can be influenced by the Dac in my opinion. 

I guess it also depend on how sensitive you are to certain frequencies. 

Thanks for your extensive write-up. It has been well made and i know it takes a lot of time. :)

Cheers

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #21 of 32
I'm curious about the HD800>Soloist match. I personally think it has a sparkly treble but never bright, something that can be influenced by the Dac in my opinion. 

I guess it also depend on how sensitive you are to certain frequencies. 

Thanks for your extensive write-up. It has been well made and i know it takes a lot of time. :)

Cheers

Quite possible that I am super-sensitive to the quality of the treble. It could very well also be the transients with the inevitable over-shots, ringing....

After months of testing different links in the chain, I pretty much eliminated the DAC and cable as possible issues with the HD800/Soloist sound. Actually, sibilance was not the main issue. It was the hardness and 2-D ( lack of depth) in the sound that I did not enjoy. The soloist is not a bad match at all for most headphones except for the HD800 and the PS1000.

Cheers,

JT

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #22 of 32
Holy crap, this was probably one of the most useful thread I've read on the site. I'm just getting to the point where I'm moving into the summit-fi arena, and this has probably saved me 10-20 hours of research into amps and cables. Thanks again for the terrific post.

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #23 of 32
It is useful as it reiterates the old adage about system synergy + personal preference, rather than buying the first first you happen across in print publications or on the internet. Therefore and however, someone else's testing should not preclude one from performing their own demo and research.

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #24 of 32
True, but it does help to steer my search instead of just starting from a completely blank slate. It will be easier when I have a car, so I can go to meets/retailers.

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #25 of 32
  Holy crap, this was probably one of the most useful thread I've read on the site. I'm just getting to the point where I'm moving into the summit-fi arena, and this has probably saved me 10-20 hours of research into amps and cables. Thanks again for the terrific post.

Thank you! It means a lot to me that someone found useful information in my post.

I got many nasty-grams for daring to say that some of the highly revered gears are not perfect. 

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #26 of 32
R
Thank you! It means a lot to me that someone found useful information in my post.

I got many nasty-grams for daring to say that some of the highly revered gears are not perfect. 

Really well done, don't worry about the nastygrams, there are more "sacred cows" on Head Fi, than there are on the streets of New Deli :smirk:! I really appreciate your efforts!!!

Aug 27, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #28 of 32
Great job, really appreciate it from a structure perspective - lots of work and well worth the effort. An expensive journey also, ouch.

Bit saddened that from your perspective there is no "versatile" amp to take on both PS1000 and HD800. As I have an incoming T1 would've loved to see how it would fare among such extensive listing. Although I sense PS1000 are probably the closest thing to T1... 

Aug 27, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #29 of 32
  Great job, really appreciate it from a structure perspective - lots of work and well worth the effort. An expensive journey also, ouch.

Bit saddened that from your perspective there is no "versatile" amp to take on both PS1000 and HD800. As I have an incoming T1 would've loved to see how it would fare among such extensive listing. Although I sense PS1000 are probably the closest thing to T1... 

Thank you.

Minor correction:  there is no versatile "affordable" amp for both the PS1000 and HD800.  But any of the four not-so-affordable amps (GS-X Mk2, Bakoon HPA-01, Woo WA5/WA5-LE and EAR HP-4) I discussed at the end will work great for either set of headphones.  One amp that may even supersede these four amps is the Apex Teton, but this is a provisional statement as I have not had the chance to spend enough time with this marvelous amp yet. I just mention it for you to check it out as well. 

Concerning the PS1000 and T1, you are in luck.  The MAD Ear+ HD will work optimally for both headphones! Great matches! It works well with the HD800 as well but you lose a bit of performance in both frequency extremes.  Great performance though for $750!  And I haven't even had time to roll the tubes yet!

I think if there is a tighter standard in terms of the headphone impedance, perhaps we could have more versatile amps.  As it is right now, we are asking the amp to do too much to accommodate headphones of such vast difference in loads and sensitivities. Of course there is always the difference in voicing but we could at least reduce the number of variables a little. 

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #30 of 32
Actually, I sense in the near future to accomodate both HD800 and T1. The "versatile" amp would serve that purpose. Revising what I wrote came out unecessarily confusing. The MAD Ear is amazing with any Grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back