Matching headphone signatures by FR graph
Feb 5, 2012 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

k00zk0

Head-Fier
I had the honor of living near a MOOG audio store (Toronto, post to come) which has a decent selection of headphones to try, along with some of the coolest employees ever.

I put on the AKG K271 MKII and was blown away. As others have said, there is nothing like this can for mids (perhaps its open-style buddy, K240, but it has peaks starting from the high mids).

The biggest factor for me is equal volume at every frequency, so layered recordings can be turned high to pick out background ambience and subtle overlays. The K271 sounds dead flat to me apart from the little dip where the graph shows it has one (inaudible), and I have never been able to pick what seems like every sound out of a recording with past equipment. I tried the M50, some KRK, Sens.. All have a limit to the detail I can seem to hear because certain spikes are present that somewhat drown out other sounds or limit ability to focus.

The big Q: Is it only FR that causes a headphone to have its signature? If two phones have the same FR, is it possible for one of them to mud up quieter sounds while other, louder ones play? It only seems this would be the case if the response in a certain range changes at the moment the driver is playing sound from a different range, or a certain pattern, as to cause distortion enough to cover up the quieter sound.

I snatched all 2,890 graphs from headroom (I can provide to someone, if anyone wants to build some piece of software) for the purpose of sticking them into a program that could compare and find similar FR's at the mids, but without the rolled off lows and highs the K271 have. Hopefully this phone will have the same signature but be fuller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back