Mastering Headphones
May 14, 2012 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ethemeral

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for a set of headphones that I can use for mastering/mixing.  I record violin (pop violin actually) so I was wondering what I could use to master.  From what I've read so far, it seems that I should be looking for something that is open, so that it gives a better representation of the sound.  (correct me if i'm wrong, and i should be buying closed headphones) I would buy studio monitors but those are kinda expensive and I'm on a student budget =/

I use shure se425 (self splurge) when I actually record, but I want something more accurate? (I think?) when I master.

Budget is around $200.  Any suggestions?

May 14, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 8
I would recommend the Sony MDR-EX500LP. Many people here haven't used it but I can tell you that its perfect for mastering because it has neutral sound, maybe with a hint of warmth. The bass is solid and so is the treble. The Mids will be the most important for your music type and the MDR-EX500LP have nice detailed mids but the soundstage can be lacking.

May 14, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 8
If you don't mind stretching your budget a little, the Sony MDR-CD900ST's would make for fantastic mastering headphones. Very, very neutral with fantastic imaging, and very easy to drive.

Audiocubes.com has them for $250.

May 14, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
I recommend the KRK KNS-8400s.  Very accurate and neutral to my ears.  Wonderful headphones for the price (~$150 online).

They are on the way home. The reviews are glowing, a detail monster on its price range. 

May 14, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #8 of 8
Another headphone you could consider, are a used set of Pioneer Monitor 10's. Another detail oriented phone, in my opinion, and also very flat. But you'd have to be ok with buying something old and used. They pop up on eBay usually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back