Master equaliser for Windows 7?
Apr 10, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 15
The only thing I have seen is Virtual Audio Cables with an EQ.

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 15
Not as simple to configure as it sounds like you want, but this project is definitely worth looking into if you want to fine tune the audio on your computer: http://sourceforge.net/p/equalizerapo/wiki/Documentation/

Apr 11, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 15
As suggested already, EqualizerAPO is the way to go .... + my fPEQGUI-10MC software ofcourse
tongue.gif
  to ease the configuration task by turning the EqualizerAPO to a realtime EQ - http://jiiteepee.tripod.com/home.html

ATM, you could pin the GUI software to taskbar but in near future I'm going to set the GUI icon to be added to notification area. In near future I'm going to release new version of fPEQGUI-10MC which then supports mono operation for front, rear and side channels.

Apr 11, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 15
Sadly the only equalizer that I've found that doesn't give you distortion is the one built into my computer.  Beats audio.  I can turn any setting to it's maximum and get no distortion whatsoever.  Every other program I've tried the EQ is virtually useless.

Apr 11, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #6 of 15
  Sadly the only equalizer that I've found that doesn't give you distortion is the one built into my computer.  Beats audio.  I can turn any setting to it's maximum and get no distortion whatsoever.  Every other program I've tried the EQ is virtually useless.

LOL (maybe you don't know how to use an equalizer). Just curious but which EQ programs have you tried and found them useless?

Apr 11, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #7 of 15

LOL (maybe you don't know how to use an equalizer). Just curious but which EQ programs have you tried and found them useless?

Every program from iTunes to MusicBee anytime you adjust the slider up in the least you have automatic distortion.  I've heard people talk about never adjusting above zero.  Hogwash.  I'm no fan of Beats but It's the only EQ I've come across that I can adjust to absurd levels and not have any distortion.  What gives?

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #8 of 15
  Every program from iTunes to MusicBee anytime you adjust the slider up in the least you have automatic distortion.  I've heard people talk about never adjusting above zero.  Hogwash.  I'm no fan of Beats but It's the only EQ I've come across that I can adjust to absurd levels and not have any distortion.  What gives?

So,
- you're talkin 'bout graphics equalizers found in most playack software ... this thread is 'bout (3rd party) system wide equalizers you can't find many (system wide equalzers you usually find are bundled with audio hardware and uses it's DSP features)
- you actually confirmed the fact you don't know how to use an equalizer

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 15

So,
- you're talkin 'bout graphics equalizers found in most playack software ... this thread is 'bout (3rd party) system wide equalizers you can't find many (system wide equalzers you usually find are bundled with audio hardware and uses it's DSP features)
- you actually confirmed the fact you don't know how to use an equalizer

You slide the little thingies up and down.  Piece of cake.

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #10 of 15

You slide the little thingies up and down.  Piece of cake.

That's the easy part but the most important is that you need to know what those moves means for audio system (i.e. does your EQ settings boost the signal too much ... in many playback software you be able to set the output level which is suitable when EQ in use) ... especially when done in different layers of audio system.

I know the fact that not all of those equalizers you can find in playback software are well done but none of those I've tried during years are that bad if used as intended.

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #11 of 15

That's the easy part but the most important is that you need to know what those moves means for audio system (i.e. does your EQ settings boost the signal too much ... in many playback software you be able to set the output level which is suitable when EQ in use) ... especially when done in different layers of audio system.

I know the fact that not all of those equalizers you can find in playback software are well done but none of those I've tried during years are that bad if used as intended.

Well, I'm thinking of buying a Headphone amp and dac as well of getting away from iTunes but I would also like to be able to EQ the overall sound without everything getting distorted.  Just don't know what to do.

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #12 of 15
Well, I'm thinking of buying a Headphone amp and dac as well of getting away from iTunes but I would also like to be able to EQ the overall sound without everything getting distorted.  Just don't know what to do.

The first thing to do is to get over your misconception that not running the EQ over zero is "hogwash." If you are ready to learn, I'm sure people could help you to better understand how to use EQ.

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #13 of 15
The first thing to do is to get over your misconception that not running the EQ over zero is "hogwash." If you are ready to learn, I'm sure people could help you to better understand how to use EQ.

Every preset on, let's just say, the Itunes equalizer, have levels that reach well over zero.  But they all give you instant distortion.  This beats branded equalizer that came installed on my HP I could peg at the top at every frequency get loads of bass mids treble, whatever, it sounds like crap but there isn't a hint of distortion.  That's how I've known EQ to be at home, in my car or wherever.  What's different about these other equalizers that they can't accomplish this?

Apr 12, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #14 of 15

Every preset on, let's just say, the Itunes equalizer, have levels that reach well over zero.  But they all give you instant distortion.  This beats branded equalizer that came installed on my HP I could peg at the top at every frequency get loads of bass mids treble, whatever, it sounds like crap but there isn't a hint of distortion.  That's how I've known EQ to be at home, in my car or wherever.  What's different about these other equalizers that they can't accomplish this?

This difference happens because of your "native" beats branded EQ operates on diferent layer of audio system than where your playback software is ... i.e. not on application layer where your playback software and its EQ are but usually a "native" eq is located on hardware layer (i.e. it's a feature of DSP chip)) --> you can overdrive the audio signal on application layer by boosting the signal too much using equalizer or another type of dsp software. 

(better description can be seen at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd316780(v=vs.85).aspx )

In my experience EqualizerAPO (which was mentioned earlier) allows to gain the signal little more (as you noticed the native EQ does). Even the DSP for EQ filters is done on application layer, audio signal does not get overdriven for AE that easy.

Youtube is full of videos you could watch, as well as google returns lots of good reading to learn the basics of how to use EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back