Master & Dynamic MH30
Feb 2, 2020 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

CJG888

Headphoneus Supremus
As there doesn’t seem to be much discussion about these at the moment, I thought I’d give my impressions after a few days...

Looking for a “backup” pair of travelling cans, I stumbled upon these on Amazon for 99€. At the price, I thought they were worth a punt.

First impressions were very positive: solid, professional packaging and presentation, clean design (think Grado by Dieter Rams...) and camera (“proper” analogue camera)-grade materials. If Nikon made headphones...

The first listen was disappointing, to say the least. Yes, the soundstage was enormous for closed cans (way bigger and more tactile than anything my modified Beyer T51p can produce), and there was plenty of “air”. However, the bass was slow, uncontrolled and boomy. Before sending them back, I remembered a similar issue with my M&J hybrid cans, and left them to “cook” for 30 hours at a fairly high volume on the end of a DAP playing some Manu Katché on a continuous loop. When I tried them again, the bass had moved into line. They now sound very much like portable, closed HD650s. I’m keeping them.

Interestingly, they seem to work particularly well either straight out of my old Hifiman HM-650 (Minibox card) or out of the Aune B1S portable class A amp. They don’t seem to like tubes (unlike the HD650!).

Just one small gripe to finish: Whilst I praised the build quality earlier, there is something I should mention. This morning, I folded them up (with the cups rotated flat) and put them in my suitcase. On unpacking them this evening, I noticed that some anodising had worn away where the cups had touched. No big deal, but I had expected better from something designed for the road! I guess I’ll touch the relevant cup up with some automotive paint, and won’t fold them up completely any more. Maybe I should transport them in a slim case.

Mar 25, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 2
Hi

I purchased recently the MH30 as well, for the same price. And I had the same impression, that the sound gets really nice after burning them in, and they are getting better and better more I listen. The build quality is also superb (nothing comparable out there in the 100$ range). After bending the headband to fitting then on my head, they even got comfortable enough for long listening sessions. The cable in the other hand sucks, it broke already the first day. I guess the glue between the cable and the metal cover was just to old and it fell apart. I made my own DIY Oyaide cable, and I guess the cable will also improve the sound quality after burning in.

For traveling I bought a case made for the Marshall headphones and they fit perfectly. The only thing I had to improve was the metal cans touching each other, so I put a foam divider from my camera bag in between and it works fine.

For me personally the bass impact was just to much, even after playing with the eq. I figured out that it is because of the tight fit/sealing of the ear pads. I put a little silicon O-ring on one of the connection tips between the removable ear pats and the metal frame of the driver, to give some air and now they sound wider with less bass inpact. It's worth a try.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Maybe you find my input helpful in some way.
Cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back