Master Clock Talk
Jan 12, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #3,211 of 3,360
Who ever said the ESS chipset cannot create a soundstage or liquid midrange?
The ESS 9018S in my Weiss 204 is f'ing incredible. In a totally different league to the dual 9038Pro chips used in the Gustard X26pro I had been using with a DDC, OCXO and fancy fuses. In fact Weiss uses a single 9038Pro in their $21k Helios. Weiss wouldn't use ESS products if they couldn't deliver the SQ that Weiss demands and their units are known for. So Yeah, ESS can create a sound stage with unbelievable clarity, vibrance, depth of field of soundstage and stunning localization of instruments and vocals.

I also find it interesting that most higher end DAC's do not need nor even have a provision for a master clock. I was a clock fan but now I just can't see spending a few thousand on a clock to make a $1k -$2k or whatever DAC sound better. Just take that few thousand and buy a better DAC.

Jan 12, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #3,212 of 3,360
I think it is fairly obvious that the chip set is a small part of the overall sound of a DAC.

Comparing a Gustard unit to something from Weiss is like comparing chalk and cheese.

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #3,213 of 3,360
Don't dismiss what the U18 / X26 Pro / AfterDark / JS-2 can do, though. It surprises many people, especially those who went down the R26 route.

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #3,214 of 3,360
I think it is fairly obvious that the chip set is a small part of the overall sound of a DAC.

Comparing a Gustard unit to something from Weiss is like comparing chalk and cheese.
It has a lot to do with the implementation of the chip. Weiss is not another deltasigma sound because of the way it is implemented. Many ESS dacs have the recommended implementation from Sabre, thats why "every" deltasigma sounds the same...

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #3,215 of 3,360
You should do your research. Gustard did their own implementation of the 9038 Pro, overcoming the intermodulation hump and implementing their own digital filters. That's why it sounds so good.

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #3,216 of 3,360
You should do your research. Gustard did their own implementation of the 9038 Pro, overcoming the intermodulation hump and implementing their own digital filters. That's why it sounds so good.
If you are talking to me I am not interested, nor did I imply Gustard don´t have their own implementation. I am saying Weiss is different sound than the "usual" deltasigma sound.

Sounds like you got offended and assuming. Not my intention, sorry

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #3,217 of 3,360
I also find it interesting that most higher end DAC's do not need nor even have a provision for a master clock. I was a clock fan but now I just can't see spending a few thousand on a clock to make a $1k -$2k or whatever DAC sound better. Just take that few thousand and buy a better DAC.
- For the same price as Gustard you can get better DAC.

- Benefit of adding a clock also depends on the implementation. Better DAC has also well made external clock support if this option is offered. According to a gold rule.

- And finally, don't expect miracles if a brand use opamps in NOS design.

As for a low acceptance of external clock in high-end department, it is understandable. Years of experience in tuning to perfection. Not easy for old engineers to adopt computer based technology which is required to build clock synthesiser.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #3,218 of 3,360
Jan 14, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #3,219 of 3,360
Hello,

i hope everyone is doing well. I'm using a Gustard R26 dac, Gustard U18 ddc and EtherREGEN. I'd like to purchase an LHY OCK-2 external clock and hook up the EtherREGEN, dac and ddc to the clock.

If i understand correctly, the R26 and U18 are compatible with 50 ohms, while the EtherREGEN is 75 ohm. The LHY Ock-2 can be configured for 50 ohms or 75 ohms, and has 3 sinewave inputs and 3 squarewave inputs.

I'm kind of confused as to whether I can use the LHY 50 ohm external clock with the EtherREGEN since it's set to 75 ohms.

The Uptone Audio website states: "Impedance matching of clock/cable/device matters only when using a square wave clock; it does not matter at all when using a sine wave clock. EtherREGEN accepts both sine and square wave 10MHz external clock."

Does this mean I can use the EtherREGEN with the 50 ohm LHY OCK-2 clock as long as i hook up the EtherREGEN to one of the clock's sinewave inputs?

Alternatively, if I buy the LHY OCK-2 clock with 50 ohm output impedance, could I still separately configure one of the inputs to 75 ohms while keeping the R26/U18 inputs set to 50 ohms?

Thank you in advance for any guidance and advice on this issue.

Jan 14, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #3,221 of 3,360
Hello,

i hope everyone is doing well. I'm using a Gustard R26 dac, Gustard U18 ddc and EtherREGEN. I'd like to purchase an LHY OCK-2 external clock and hook up the EtherREGEN, dac and ddc to the clock.

If i understand correctly, the R26 and U18 are compatible with 50 ohms, while the EtherREGEN is 75 ohm. The LHY Ock-2 can be configured for 50 ohms or 75 ohms, and has 3 sinewave inputs and 3 squarewave inputs.

I'm kind of confused as to whether I can use the LHY 50 ohm external clock with the EtherREGEN since it's set to 75 ohms.

The Uptone Audio website states: "Impedance matching of clock/cable/device matters only when using a square wave clock; it does not matter at all when using a sine wave clock. EtherREGEN accepts both sine and square wave 10MHz external clock."

Does this mean I can use the EtherREGEN with the 50 ohm LHY OCK-2 clock as long as i hook up the EtherREGEN to one of the clock's sinewave inputs?

Alternatively, if I buy the LHY OCK-2 clock with 50 ohm output impedance, could I still separately configure one of the inputs to 75 ohms while keeping the R26/U18 inputs set to 50 ohms?

Thank you in advance for any guidance and advice on this issue.
You can configure each output of the OCK-2 as you want, 50 or 75 ohm .

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #3,223 of 3,360
The ESS 9018S in my Weiss 204 is f'ing incredible. In a totally different league to the dual 9038Pro chips used in the Gustard X26pro I had been using with a DDC, OCXO and fancy fuses. In fact Weiss uses a single 9038Pro in their $21k Helios. Weiss wouldn't use ESS products if they couldn't deliver the SQ that Weiss demands and their units are known for. So Yeah, ESS can create a sound stage with unbelievable clarity, vibrance, depth of field of soundstage and stunning localization of instruments and vocals.

False logic. Even a higher end DAC sound it can be improved upon with more accurate timing using a Master Clock.

Based on experience, the M Scaler / Hugo TT2 exhibits a lot more depth when attached to a 10mhz clocked signal (via Gustard U18 DDC + LHY OCK-2).

If I were only given a choice between:

A. Qutest (the lower end DAC) fed a 10mhz clocked signal
B. Hugo TT2 fed an unclocked signal…

I'd pick A.

Jan 15, 2024 at 2:16 AM Post #3,224 of 3,360
Thanks very much! One other question. If I decide to use the sinewave inputs is there any benefit adding the Mini Circuit BLP-10.7+ filters? Regards.
Yes, I use two sinewave clocks and have a Mini Circuits filter on both outputs. It does further improve sound quality. The 50/75 ohm mismatch is not a thing with sinewaves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back