Master Clock Talk
Oct 12, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #2,716 of 3,360
For those actually interested in asynch usb audio, this article is relevant
Well that answers my question about where you “got it from”, you didn’t just guess/make it up, you got it from marketing! I’m not sure why audiophiles are so prone to that, especially when the actual USB and Ethernet specifications are published and publicly available.

Much of that article is correct but you’ve misunderstood it and don’t seem to realise it refers to potential issues/difficulties with USB (it doesn’t even mention Ethernet) that were solved years ago, even with cheap consumer devices! Although to be fair, the audiophile world quite often does that.

G

Oct 12, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #2,717 of 3,360
With the upcoming Mutec REF10 NANO release, I've been trying to figure out the optional DC connection for powering it with your own LPS. I've gotten some clarification from Mutec on a few things:
1. It takes a 15V supply, not 16V as the website and all vendors selling it currently state. To further flesh this out, it needs "around 0.5A" (their phrasing, not mine) and 7W max. (Edit: Mutec notified their marketing team and it has been corrected on their site)
This is good news considering the relative lack of options for 16v LPSs out there.
2. The connector is going to make things a little difficult. It's not a standard 5.5mm x 2.1mm/2.5mm connector. Instead, it uses the following:
Outer diameter 6.5 mm
Inner diameter 4.3 mm
Diameter center pin 1.4 mm
I've attached the spec sheet they sent me.
3. Mutec will be providing a connector in the box, but note that it's not an adapter or full cable: "We are supplying the cable connector only, we are not supplying a complete cable."
I'm kind of scratching my head with this. If you don't have the ability to make your own DC cable, you'll have to find a vendor that can source this connector to custom make you a cable, or ship the connector Mutec includes off to a vendor so they can custom make the DC cable.

Attachments

• 1636 05,Lumberg,EVE.pdf
    137.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #2,719 of 3,360
16 volt -+10% can goes down to 14.4volt 15volt lps its ok for mutec nano
15volt lps its ok
just lps is extremely quiet
I use ifi iPower Elite
How do you plan on connecting it if the iPower Elite only comes with a 5.5mm x 2.1mm & 2.5mm output connector? Is there a specific adapter you can link to? If not, you'll have to cut off one of the existing tips and solder the 4.3mm x 1.4mm connector Mutec includes in the box.

Oct 12, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #2,720 of 3,360
@FredA You can not argue with people that works professionally with music. They don´t believe noise can be transferred(exist) in the digital domain.

This is just an advice, I saw through this guy a couple of pages earlier.

These guys believe everything is the dacs fault and the solution can only be there not other places.

They are not narrow minded but, they are hard headed

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #2,721 of 3,360
@FredA You can not argue with people that works professionally with music. They don´t believe noise can be transferred(exist) in the digital domain.

This is just an advice, I saw through this guy a couple of pages earlier.

These guys believe everything is the dacs fault and the solution can only be there not other places.

They are not narrow minded but, they are hard headed
Hysterical! 😂😂
Sound engineers , producers, professionals use multi million dollars rigs to produce the sound that you think your little home system can better.
Do you really think your cheap Chinese Audio-gd and OCK-2 can hold a candle to what the pros use?

Do you think that this noise in the digital domain would transfer to the recording? With huge networked systems linked and controlled by Ravenna, do you think that the pros trained to perfect a recording wouldn’t hear this on the most resolving and transparent systems in the world?

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #2,722 of 3,360
Guys, some of you are getting confused between data transmission and noise impacting the function of a DAC.

We are not talking about corrupted data or better error correction. If this was happening, the music would be unlistenable. In most decent systems, no data is lost in transmission, it gets through to the DAC intact.

However, there is, superimposed on the data signal itself, noise consisting of jitter and phase noise. While this does not affect the integrity of the data, it most certainly does affect the conversion accuracy of the DAC by subtly altering the triggering threshold of the D to A process. This is where noise reduction along the chain pays audible dividends. Things like a fibre link to break noise transmission work very well, as do ethernet filters like DXE and reclockers like the EtherREGEN.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #2,723 of 3,360
@duffer5 your R7hemk3 is not affected as it will use ock-2 as masterclock for either i2s or usb input on the dack, as it has been implemented on the playback side which means all inputs benefits no matter how you feed it.

You streamer receives masterclock(ock-2) input and delivers the reclocked signal to either i2s or usb output.

When your R7 is set to the external its the same for i2s and usb input.

If you listen to PCM and the normal files you have nothing to worry about. However DSD and pin configuration may differ: streamer vs R7.

(I would have recommended you the DI20HE first over a master clock - but ock-2 anyway for the future. Using the streamers usb output. DI20HE has a very good clock)
Helpful, thank you.

Oct 12, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #2,724 of 3,360
Guys, some of you are getting confused between data transmission and noise impacting the function of a DAC.

We are not talking about corrupted data or better error correction. If this was happening, the music would be unlistenable. In most decent systems, no data is lost in transmission, it gets through to the DAC intact.

However, there is, superimposed on the data signal itself, noise consisting of jitter and phase noise. While this does not affect the integrity of the data, it most certainly does affect the conversion accuracy of the DAC by subtly altering the triggering threshold of the D to A process. This is where noise reduction along the chain pays audible dividends. Things like a fibre link to break noise transmission work very well, as do ethernet filters like DXE and reclockers like the EtherREGEN.
And yet EVERY external clock adds substantially more measurable jitter to the DAC. 🤔

Oct 12, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #2,725 of 3,360
Better clocking can improve transmission indeed. It is likely a factor.

Asynch usb audio is not asynch if we consider things at a higher level of analysis. The receiver receives messages from the sender, telling it to slow down or to accelerate, such that in average, audio data is sent at the required rate. This
means they synchronize which each other in that sense.

Asynch usb audio is based on synch usb audio. Asynch usb audio adds these rate regulation messages to the protocol. These messages are not needed (or almost not) when both devices are clocked with the same reference. For this to work, the sending computer needs to be clocked by the ext reference. Clocking the usb card with the reference likely helps improving transmission at the lower level, but will do nothing for the synching i am refering to.
Cheers Fred, an angle I had not considered, nor to be honest, did I have a deep enough understanding of USB protocols to be in a position to consider it. Interesting hearing about rate regulation, references etc.

Oct 13, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #2,726 of 3,360

Speaking of jitter and phase noise reduction, check out my growing tungsten squad. I am, as you can see, a convert. New additions are the two smaller 0.5 and four 1.0cm^3 cubes at left that will hopefully fit in or on places where their bigger 1.5 and 2.0cm^3 brethren do not... such as on the OCK-2's OCXO.

20231013_171104.jpg

Oct 13, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #2,727 of 3,360
Very nice, @Jake2

I am still burning in my Tubulus Concentus clock cable, but I can say right now that the combination of tungsten cubes in the U18 and X26 Pro, with the Tubulus clock cable, has proven to be much more than tweaking. They represent a substantial system upgrade with a significant change in presentation focus, detail and slam. I shall write more when there is no more improvement using the Tara Labs Cascade signal.

Oct 13, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #2,728 of 3,360
Correct, although even in cheap systems generally “no data is lost in transmission”.
However, there is, superimposed on the data signal itself, noise consisting of jitter and phase noise.
There is NOT Phase Noise and Jitter Noise super imposed on the data signal itself! Firstly, you cannot have phase noise and jitter noise because they are just different terms for the same thing. Phase Noise is the term used for Jitter in the radio engineering world, so it’s jitter OR Phase noise, not both. Secondly:
While this does not affect the integrity of the data, it most certainly does affect the conversion accuracy of the DAC by subtly altering the triggering threshold of the D to A process.
Jitter can indeed affect the conversion accuracy and this is where the noise (and distortion) is created, it is the result of that conversion inaccuracy. IE. Jitter Noise is the result of the timing inaccuracy in the sample rate clock signal at the point of conversion.
This is where noise reduction along the chain pays audible dividends.
This is where your assertions really start to completely diverge from the actual facts and for more than just one reason!

Firstly as mentioned, jitter noise is the result of jitter during the conversion process. So obviously, there is no jitter noise before the point of conversion and therefore there CANNOT be any benefit to “noise reduction along the chain” before the DAC because there isn’t any jitter noise to remove! There is however a benefit to reducing jitter before the data hits the DAC chip because jitter in the bit rate (NOT sample rate) can affect data integrity. All DACs have always done this and is why, as you state, jitter “does not affect the integrity of the data”!

Secondly, the audibility of jitter noise/distortion has been known about since before digital audio was first implemented commercially 70 years ago, the human thresholds studied and even published publicly half a century ago and further studied up to about 25 years ago, by which point there was nothing left to research. With music, the human threshold is around 200 - 500 nano-secs. Using a test signal specifically designed to maximise audibility, the threshold is 3 nano-secs. A handful of music recordings were found that contained properties similar to that test signal and the lowest threshold anyone managed to attain was 27 nano-secs. Compare that with a survey of 50 cheap DACs in the mid 1990’s (cheap OEM CD and DVD drives and players, early HD ready TVs, digital TV cable boxes, etc.) which averaged around 145 pico-secs of jitter, that’s around 200 times below the threshold of audibility of that handful of music recordings and over 1,000 times below the threshold for all the millions of other music recordings. Therefore, if there really are “audible dividends” (to reducing jitter), then you MUST be claiming that modern audiophile DACs are performing jitter reduction over a thousand times worse than the cheapest consumer DA converters from the mid 1990’s!

It’s just another example of a common audiophile marketing tactic, take something that was an issue many decades ago, omit the fact that nearly 3 decades ago it wasn’t only more than solved but more than solved even in the cheapest consumer products and then sell the audiophile community an expensive solution to this non-issue! And in this particular instance it’s even funnier/worse because an external master clock does not actually reduce (sample rate) jitter, in the best designs it makes no difference and in other designs it increases the jitter noise/distortion!
Things like a fibre link to break noise transmission work very well, as do ethernet filters like DXE and reclockers like the EtherREGEN.
Again, there is no jitter noise to “break”, jitter noise only exists in the signal AFTER conversion to analogue! There is other transmission noise/interference but that is massively reduced by common mode rejection and then eliminated entirely at the point of data buffering, which occurs in every switch, router and DAC. So filters reducing transmission noise that is going to be entirely eliminated anyway obviously CANNOT make any difference whatsoever. Again, if it were possible for this transmission noise to accumulate/propagate beyond each router or switch, the internet simply would never work, as your data has pass through numerous switches/routers and be transmitted through hundreds/thousands of kilometres of cable!!
They represent a substantial system upgrade with a significant change in presentation focus, detail and slam.
Yep, that’s why music and audio downloaded over the internet never has even the slightest hint of “focus, detail or slam”, it’s traveled down thousands of kilometres of cable which is never audiophile cable and wasn’t “burnt in”!

G

Oct 13, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #2,729 of 3,360
Secondly, the audibility of jitter noise/distortion has been known about since before digital audio was first implemented commercially 70 years ago, the human thresholds studied and even published publicly half a century ago and further studied up to about 25 years ago, by which point there was nothing left to research. With music, the human threshold is around 200 - 500 nano-secs. Using a test signal specifically designed to maximise audibility, the threshold is 3 nano-secs.
have to disagree.
even if people are not able to perceive a 3ns gap, music is more than hearing gaps.

Jitter above 500 picoseconds affects the soundstage of music. Even if we humans are not able to perceive 3 nano second gaps, we can perceive differences in picoseconds on the presentation of music and how soundstage and imaging is affected by.

Oct 13, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #2,730 of 3,360
have to disagree.
ALL the reliable evidence from 70 odd years of research agrees and there is no reliable evidence that disagrees. So how can anyone rationally/correctly disagree even slightly, let alone “have to” disagree?
even if people are not able to perceive a 3ns gap, music is more than hearing gaps.
What 3ns gap? Testing was done with continuous signals, music or test signals, that had no “gaps”. 3ns refers to the amount of jitter that was detectable with a test signal, not gaps or anything else.
Jitter above 500 picoseconds affects the soundstage of music.
Jitter affects the noise and distortion, that’s it, nothing else. More jitter, more noise/distortion.
Even if we humans are not able to perceive 3 nano second gaps, we can perceive differences in picoseconds on the presentation of music and how soundstage and imaging is affected by.
No! Again, I don’t know what 3ns gaps you’re talking about, there aren’t any gaps. With music recordings, no one has ever detected ANY audible difference with jitter less than 27nanosecs and with the vast majority of music recordings 200ns is a more realistic threshold, although in some cases it’s over 500ns. And of course, “ANY audible difference” covers an audible difference in “the presentation of music”, the “soundstage”, “imaging” or anything else!

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back