Master Clock Talk
Sep 18, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #2,536 of 3,353
Has anyone here tried the LHY switch SW6?
Yes, I have. I also have the SW-8. The SW-8 gives an exploded view. Very nice and big scenery. The SW-6 has the advantages with the native galvanic isolated ports. (1 x RJ45 and the SFP port). I bought the SW-6 because I can and am now feeding it with timepulse from my Mutec REF10 SE120. The switch is still on burn in on its internal OCXO. I will soon be back to report how it stands, compared to the SW-8
/Jan

Sep 19, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #2,537 of 3,353
I have received my Tubulus Concentus 50 ohm clock cable yesterday. It's as beautifully constructed as the Argentus I2S cable. More importantly, it already sounds a step above the Harmonic Technology DC-III cable between my AfterDark Emperor Triple Crown clock and the Gustard U18. I shall give it at least 100 hours of burn-in and will report back.

53198398435_cb5d0871f1_o.jpg

Sep 21, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #2,538 of 3,353
Intermediate report: the Tubulus Concentus clock cable is burning-in nicely and really shows its calibre in terms of fine detail, soundstage, note decay and lack of sibilance. The bass is wonderfully potent, too.

Sep 21, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #2,539 of 3,353
Comparing the Copper or Silver Harmonic Tech III to the Tubullus Concentus?

Sep 21, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #2,540 of 3,353
Comparing the HT Digital Copper III (50) to the Tubulus Concentus (50).

The HT was my previous cable.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #2,542 of 3,353
Is the LHY SW6 basically the same as the EtherRegen? Would the isolated Lan port of the SW6 be an equal to the “moat” of the EtherRegen?

Sep 23, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #2,543 of 3,353
Is the LHY SW6 basically the same as the EtherRegen? Would the isolated Lan port of the SW6 be an equal to the “moat” of the EtherRegen?
I don't really know how to answer Your questions. I am not familiar with the EtherRegen or its electronic design. I am very well aware of though, that the EtherRegen's designer John Swenson is a very skilled guy.

Well what I can say is that the SW-6 is a "neutral sounding" device. A network switch shouldn't affect the sound but they do. The SW-6 doesn't "blows up" proportions like the SW-8 does. It is a transparent device on its own (OCXO) and fed with clock pulse from my Mutec REF10 SE120 I can notice that even the sligtest sibilance on some voices/recordings is completely gone. Soundstage is "true" in size and depth. Separation is spot on and very clear.

I use the isolated RJ45 port connected to the Media bridge (Asus RT-AX86U). A router is a "busy device" with lots of activities going on inside so I find it logically to use isolation there.
The SFP port (Optical) isn't in use yet so I cannot comment on it.

Edit. Sorry, I forgot to write what equipment/gears I am listenig to. For the moment, a Gustard A26 internal renderer (ver 1.41) connected to the SW-6.
So. Media bridge Cat8 to rendrerer in A26, Audio-gd HE-1 -> mid/high Audio-gd Master 3 and for low freq. 2 x Master 2's. Gradient Active filter to Quad ESL-63's (slightly modded) and Gradient SW-63 dipole bass speakers. A very revealing rig. End game for me.

/Jan

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #2,544 of 3,353
No they are far from the same. The etherregen have an abuse of filterings going on and sound very static from the LT3042/45 raping the sound/signal and making it very soulless - on both sides of the switch. Like that wasnt enough it has a isolation board on the DC input.

Etherregen is what you call an over-engineered filtering junkie.

A decent switch with an network isolator(BAASKE MI1005, PinkFaun Isolator) will beat it.

Only buy the ER if you have the worst of the worst electricity coming out the wall outlets.
—-

Looking at the board of LHY it looks like they actually listen to music and not just engineers, that targets killing/choking the DC input.

Its like comparing apples to oranges when I see the two PCB.

The LHY I have not listened to but it can not sound as worse as ER that I will for sure assume.

*This is all opinions of mine, not facts for your listening experience. I have put the Etherregen to the test in 3-4 different setups/scenarios with my hifi friend. Power was the most important factor in our tests.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #2,545 of 3,353
Thanks Jan
As you can see in my signature I have OCK 2 along with an EtherReven as my Dac does not have a clock input. I am thinking of replacing the EtherRegen with the LHY.
I think I will buy it and compare.

Sep 23, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #2,546 of 3,353
No they are far from the same. The etherregen have an abuse of filterings going on and sound very static from the LT3042/45 raping the sound/signal and making it very soulless - on both sides of the switch. Like that wasnt enough it has a isolation board on the DC input.

Etherregen is what you call an over-engineered filtering junkie.
I really cannot reconcile your description of the EtherREGEN with mine, which forms a key part of my digital chain. Soulless? Static?

No, that's not how it sounds.

Sep 23, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #2,547 of 3,353
I've been doing some reading on ground tweaking pertaining to the "Pin 1 Problem" - where XLR Pin 1 is effectively tied both to chassis ground and IEC ground.
As part of my discovery, my Audio GD R8 DAC has the BNC clock connector barrel directly connected to ground whereas, the Uptone EtherRegen and SingXer SU-2 clock BNC barrels are not connected to ground [per my multi-meter].
The Mutec Ref10 SE120 uses [I believe] isolation transformers which float the BNC connector barrel on that end [as measured via multi-meter].
Can someone educate me as to
- what happens with the coax cable shield acting [or not acting] like a shield in this instance?
- and with the shield being grounded at one end as is the case with my AGD R8? Could it possibly act as an antennae at the floating Mutec end?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #2,548 of 3,353
Can someone educate me as to
- what happens with the coax cable shield acting [or not acting] like a shield in this instance?
- and with the shield being grounded at one end as is the case with my AGD R8? Could it possibly act as an antennae at the floating Mutec end?
You are correct on the isolation transformers in the Mutec REF10.

The BNC cable acts like an extension of the chassi. As long as the BNC cable is correctly inserted and locked in both ends, it is a fully shielded channel/tunnel for the signal carrying center cord. There is no floating going on in the Mutec REF10. The secondary winding (output) is connected to ground, most likely via individual resistors to acheive those 50 and 75 Ohm output impedances.

So antenna problem there.
/Jan

Sep 24, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #2,549 of 3,353
Thank you Jan.
I did measure the 50 ohm resistor on the SingXer SU-2 DDI Clock input to its digital ground.
The AGD 75 ohm resistor from clock input is direct to earth ground so this suggests possibility for ground loop.
Next time I have the Mutec apart I'll measure the BNC barrel/ground to its digital ground.

Rich

Sep 27, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #2,550 of 3,353
Hi guys,
I have promised You to come back and say somethings about the LHY switches I know of. So here we go. I have a crazy revealing rig and something I usually have is depth, width and depth in the presentation of the sound. The SW-6 with all its theoretical benefits it is a pretty "boring". Don't read me wrong here. The SW-8 with an internal OCXO only, this is a very nice treat. Some will take it as "too much" but I think most of You (completely lost nerds as I am, will find this SW-8 a "near heart product". This crazy switch is making me sitting with tears in my eyes almost all of the time. Feeling what we all should feel during a brilliant performance of any kind.

After some time and with some critical listening I can say that the SW-8 (older version) and the later one SW-6 fed by a HQ masterclock..... The Sw-8 is a more lively thing bringing tears to my eyes.
The Sw-6 is not that funny. It is more exact but ...hey how funny is this,...? Thoughts...
/Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back