Master Clock Talk
Sep 9, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #2,521 of 3,366
I have now updated my Gustard U18 DDC with the same 20mm tungsten cube mod on the K-2 clock synthesiser module as I did in my X26 Pro DAC.

I'm surprised at the outcome, because I expected the second tungsten cube to give me more of the same. However, there seems to be something symbiotic between the two K-2 synthesisers which is perhaps not surprising as they're linked by I2S which also carries the external clock.

The two cubes are producing a very heightened sense of fine detail, timbre and that which differentiates transients from percussion instruments. The soundstage and note decay are enhanced and the bass is incredibly structural, tight and textured. However, over and above that is infectious music making, a sense of rhythm and flow that draws me further into the piece.

I'm listening to Spiritchaser by Dead Can Dance (just standard res) and it is simply stunning, so much more than I was getting from it a year ago, with the percussion highlighting the rhythms and bass lines. Lisa Gerrard's voice can test any system's midrange but I'm hearing all her power without any break-up or harshness creeping in.Earlier, I was listening to some more Norah Jones in 24/192 and, if ever there were examples of hi-res pulling ahead, her first two albums are up on a pedestal. Her voice is amazing, breathy and textured and imperfect, exposed like never before and just making you admire her singing chops more than ever.

The equipment is now running pretty hot (the DDC and DAC run the hottest of all my components), showing 36C on the IR gun. All it needs is one or two more nights of Tara Labs burn-in although, frankly, it sounds bloody amazing now.

These are just my preliminary thoughts, I'll keep on reporting until I hear no further changes.

EDIT: I've just noticed a remarkable reduction in sibilance in Heidi Happy's voice in Yello's Kiss in Blue. Not to mention the huge bass.

Gustard U18 K-2 cube.jpg

Sep 10, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #2,522 of 3,366
I have now updated my Gustard U18 DDC with the same 20mm tungsten cube mod on the K-2 clock synthesiser module as I did in my X26 Pro DAC.

I'm surprised at the outcome, because I expected the second tungsten cube to give me more of the same. However, there seems to be something symbiotic between the two K-2 synthesisers which is perhaps not surprising as they're linked by I2S which also carries the external clock.

The two cubes are producing a very heightened sense of fine detail, timbre and that which differentiates transients from percussion instruments. The soundstage and note decay are enhanced and the bass is incredibly structural, tight and textured. However, over and above that is infectious music making, a sense of rhythm and flow that draws me further into the piece.

I'm listening to Spiritchaser by Dead Can Dance (just standard res) and it is simply stunning, so much more than I was getting from it a year ago, with the percussion highlighting the rhythms and bass lines. Lisa Gerrard's voice can test any system's midrange but I'm hearing all her power without any break-up or harshness creeping in.Earlier, I was listening to some more Norah Jones in 24/192 and, if ever there were examples of hi-res pulling ahead, her first two albums are up on a pedestal. Her voice is amazing, breathy and textured and imperfect, exposed like never before and just making you admire her singing chops more than ever.

The equipment is now running pretty hot (the DDC and DAC run the hottest of all my components), showing 36C on the IR gun. All it needs is one or two more nights of Tara Labs burn-in although, frankly, it sounds bloody amazing now.

These are just my preliminary thoughts, I'll keep on reporting until I hear no further changes.

EDIT: I've just noticed a remarkable reduction in sibilance in Heidi Happy's voice in Yello's Kiss in Blue. Not to mention the huge bass.

Gustard U18 K-2 cube.jpg
May I know what is tungsten cube ? Thanks

Sep 10, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #2,524 of 3,366
May I know what is tungsten cube ? Thanks
A cube made of pure tungsten, a heavy metallic element atomic number 74 in the periodic table. Over three times as dense, and heavy, as iron. Has very good damping properties.

Sep 10, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #2,525 of 3,366
A cube made of pure tungsten, a heavy metallic element atomic number 74 in the periodic table. Over three times as dense, and heavy, as iron. Has very good damping properties.
It also, due to its density, has a lot of thermal mass that likely has an additional benefit of further stabilising the operating temperature of the OCXO, smoothing the current draw of the oven needed to maintain its target temp. I say this as I tried the 2cm tungsten cube on the OCK-1's OCXO last week, when I lifted it off in the course of doing AB'ing it was really hot to the touch (say 50°c give or take) - of course it's been sitting on an oven - but with the mass of a mobile phone crammed into a 2cm cube it maintained its intense heat for some time in my hand.

Back to the OCK-1 - the tungsten cube was very effective, a no brainer tweak, it's that good.

The improvement in resolution (leading edges of plucked guitar strings have more bite, richer timbre and definition of the reverb) and refinement (more sweet female vocals, less glare) is impressive. This is with the cube just sitting on top of the OCXO with the label still on it, no adhesive.

It improved the OCK-1 more than it did the OCK-2 - narrowing the difference between them to not too much at all.

Sep 10, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #2,526 of 3,366
The improvement in resolution (leading edges of plucked guitar strings have more bite, richer timbre and definition of the reverb) and refinement (more sweet female vocals, less glare) is impressive.
Yes, exactly this: more detail AND refinement is a winning game.

Sep 11, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #2,528 of 3,366
Give it a try, but you would ideally need to remove the label from the OCXO, which you may not want to do.

Sep 11, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #2,530 of 3,366
Last edited:
Sep 14, 2023 at 5:24 AM Post #2,531 of 3,366

Thanks for this photo! The secrets of the Coherent mods are now out. I’m going to apply some of those.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #2,532 of 3,366
The process of applying the Tara Labs burn-in signal to my U18 and X26 Pro combo has followed the exact same path as for burning-in cables. It goes roughly like this (with intermittent listening):

- you apply the change to the system and it sounds pretty good, if slightly lacking coherence
- it goes downhill after a few days making you wonder if, this time, you've got it very wrong
- it climbs back up to sound about equal to how it started, but smoother
- the width and depth fill out, dynamics gain shape and detail sounds very natural, ending up as a real improvement

I have experienced this u-shaped trend too many times and it still catches me out.

However, this time it was two tungsten cubes. Seriously? How can tungsten cubes experience burn-in? More likely it's something about the K-2 circuit or even the physical bond that has 'adjusted' to the new reality.

All I can say is, it wasn't very enjoyable on Wednesday but I stuck with the 24-hour Tara, feeling that it would come good. And so it has.
I have to thank Russ Andrews for this as he has written the clearest and most accurate portrayal of burn-in for cables many years ago.

Sep 18, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #2,535 of 3,366
Has anyone here tried the LHY switch SW6? As stated, the clock of SW6 is the same with Master clock OCK2. If i got the OCK2, should I buy SW6 or the SW8 (without the clock input)? Please help with your recommendation. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back