Master Clock Talk
Aug 31, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #2,491 of 3,362
I had to go and try it didn't I. Even though there's no way it'll fit. (This is the 2cm cube, weighs 150grams, the 1.5cm cube doesn't fit either). Unfortunately the cube coupled with four stacked sheets of fo.Q like this it sounds more... sweet, expansive, focussed, refined, weighty than the sheets alone. B*gger. Which in turn sound better than the bare OCXO.

20230831_224958.jpg
I woul use the lit as weight/pressure absorber. Carefully tighten it with those sheet on, remove the metal blok.

Thats what Im gonna try

Aug 31, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #2,492 of 3,362
Anyone looking for a Mutec REF10 SE120 with the lowest noise possible (oscillator hand picked by their CEO), I'm selling mine in the classifieds bundled with the two best BNC cables I've tested, a Habst 5N and a Soulnote RCC-1. Just thought I'd plug this here in case someone is interested. Cheers!

Sep 1, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #2,493 of 3,362
A little off topic from master clocks sorry but for those of you with R2R DACs with FPGAs (or any DACs with FPGAs), you may find this tungsten block-based damping tweak of interest. The impressions linked below is with my preferred smaller 65gram 1.5cm cube, I found the 150gm 2cm cube over-damped things.

Edit - updated my linked post to reflect the distinction between linearity and dynamic range in the context of HQP PCM bit settings… I was conflating the two.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gus...ve-decoding-music-bridge.963630/post-17715291

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #2,494 of 3,362
Today I have bonded a 20mm tungsten cube to the K-2 synthesiser module in my X26 Pro DAC (after removing the Gustard label) and installed the T-Flex 405 clock cable even though I don't connect my clock here (it comes via I2S).

53162023688_9cfe5caffc_o.jpg

Sep 3, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #2,495 of 3,362
I'm surprised as the benefits I'm hearing by damping the K-2 synthesiser are the exact same ones as I remember when doing my first tungsten upgrade to the BG7TBL clock OCXO.

I hear tighter bass (is this really possible?), sweeter treble and a sizeable increase in delineation of different strands of the music.

Examples: Christine and the Queens - Tilted now has almost wall-shaking but very tight bass. Rebecca Pigeon - Svayambhu has a nice amount of treble detail without any glare. Kate Bush - Waking the Witch really has more insight into this busy mix with the chanting and church bells coming further forward and the helicopter towards the end having greater impact.

It has taken this already excellent DAC further along the high end path. Next I will see what can be done with the U18 which Coherent has already breathed on. Getting into these cases is a challenge in itself.

Sep 3, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #2,496 of 3,362
I'm surprised as the benefits I'm hearing by damping the K-2 synthesiser are the exact same ones as I remember when doing my first tungsten upgrade to the BG7TBL clock OCXO.

I hear tighter bass (is this really possible?), sweeter treble and a sizeable increase in delineation of different strands of the music.

Examples: Christine and the Queens - Tilted now has almost wall-shaking but very tight bass. Rebecca Pigeon - Svayambhu has a nice amount of treble detail without any glare. Kate Bush - Waking the Witch really has more insight into this busy mix with the chanting and church bells coming further forward and the helicopter towards the end having greater impact.

It has taken this already excellent DAC further along the high end path. Next I will see what can be done with the U18 which Coherent has already breathed on. Getting into these cases is a challenge in itself.
Nice one. How did you bond it - is it permanently bonded or removable?

Your experience is different to mine to date with the R26 - experimenting with just placing the cube on top of the K2 with label (no bonding) and on top of fo.Q damping sheets, the non-bonded block slightly thinned the sound. Might have to experiment further.

Sep 3, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #2,497 of 3,362
It definitely didn't thin my sound. Bonded to the K-2 case (label removed) with 2-part epoxy.

Sep 5, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #2,498 of 3,362
It definitely didn't thin my sound.

Definitely not, bass is outstandingly potent and tight - thunderous with good material. I don't think my Ushers have ever been exercised so hard with huge air movements when called upon.

This could be an anomaly with the R26, but is not a problem with my X26 Pro.

Sep 5, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #2,499 of 3,362
Definitely not, bass is outstandingly potent and tight - thunderous with good material. I don't think my Ushers have ever been exercised so hard with huge air movements when called upon.

This could be an anomaly with the R26, but is not a problem with my X26 Pro.
Sounds like a great result. Amazing how these targetted tweaks/mods in critical spots can yield such returns (as was my experience with FPGA damping). Our different experience with the K2 - assuming it's the exact same module fixed in the exact same way to exact same circuit board type in both R26 & X26 Pro (any one of those variables may throw the equation out) - makes me suspect the level and quality of bonding is likely the difference. Big call to permanently bond it though and find it's not. Will experiment first with Tungsten putty fortified with Tungsten powder and/or used as the temporary bond for a cube.

Sep 5, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #2,500 of 3,362
I would like to put a good sounding Tungsten cube on the OCXO of the OCK-1, but I don't know if there's enough space for it.

Sep 5, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #2,501 of 3,362
I would like to put a good sounding Tungsten cube on the OCXO of the OCK-1, but I don't know if there's enough space for it.
Heaps of room 👍🏻👍🏻 (That's my larger 2cm3 cube.. just checked for you now)

20230905_235834.jpg

Sep 5, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #2,502 of 3,362
Sep 8, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #2,503 of 3,362
I ended up getting the Tubulus Concentus I2S and clock cable, replacing the AVPlay/BJC HDMI and a generic BNC cable, respectively.

I have the I2S cable connected into my R26 and my Harmonic Technology to my U18. One thing that is immediately noticeable over the old cables is the sound is much smoother, especially the top end. I played this new track I discovered from Rhianno Giddens called Too Little, Too Late, Too bad, which had tons of vocal sibilance. I attributed this to the recording, but with the new cables, the sibilance is nearly gone. The recording isn't perfect, so there's still some sibilance, but it's like night and day difference. Crazy.

I'm listening on my HE1000se.

Sep 8, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #2,504 of 3,362
One thing that is immediately noticeable over the old cables is the sound is much smoother, especially the top end.
Agreed, my Tubulus Argentus I2S and Harmonic Technology Digital Copper III clock cables already did this. I now have a Tubulus Concentus clock cable on order for the U18 DDC / X26 Pro DAC combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back