Master Clock Talk
Dec 5, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #106 of 3,397
Excellent write up @JaMo ! I noticed in your photo you chose to place the OCK-2 on top of the OCK-1 and not on its footers. When you conducted your listening tests was it resting on its feet?

You’ve pretty much sealed the deal for me. I own the OCK-1 and now I will get an OCK-2.

Dec 5, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #107 of 3,397
Excellent write up @JaMo ! I noticed in your photo you chose to place the OCK-2 on top of the OCK-1 and not on its footers. When you conducted your listening tests was it resting on its feet?

You’ve pretty much sealed the deal for me. I own the OCK-1 and now I will get an OCK-2.
Hi @Exocer
The picture was taken right after I got the OCK-2. The OCK-1 is now doing service in my smaller TV/music headphone rig, so the stacking is gone. Now it stands on top of the Mutec, on its feet (75%) and a bit of damping material under its "belly". In a short while the OCK-2 will be replacing the OCK-1 in the TV/music rig with an U18 and the R26 dac as "heart". I will not sell the OCK-1. I love it for what it is.

Edit. Short after (i e Saturday 26/11) I rearranged the whole speaker rig and since then the OCK-2 has been standing directly on top of the Mutec. All burn in/testing with the OCK-2 was done that way except the hours when I was rearranging the rig. At that time the OCK-2 was put aside with power on. So nothing disturbing there.
/Jan

Attachments

• 20221205_063704.jpg
    20221205_063704.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #109 of 3,397
Dec 5, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #110 of 3,397
May be in US, from France it is only 45€ cheaper if you includes the shipping costs. I prefer to deal with Alvin that I know since 2018 as I purchased a Terminator from Vinshine and he was very professional when I had an issue with and had to return the dac to China and he sent to me a new dac. Alvin is always there if you have a problem. And you can pay with Wise if you ask and it is cheaper than PayPal for a non USD buyer.

Dec 5, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #111 of 3,397
May be in US, from France it is only 45€ cheaper if you includes the shipping costs. I prefer to deal with Alvin that I know since 2018 as I purchased a Terminator from Vinshine and he was very professional when I had an issue with and had to return the dac to China and he sent to me a new dac. Alvin is always there if you have a problem. And you can pay with Wise if you ask and it is cheaper than PayPal for a non USD buyer.
Then I guess US shoppers are in luck.

As I said, I prefer to buy from Alvin but not if he's charging almost $200 more.

Dec 5, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #112 of 3,397
Review of the Premium 10MHz Master Clock Generator: LHY OCK-2

Master clocks has been the heartbeat in the Recordning Studio field for many years now. It was when the Digital technique was intruduced the technicians found that the oscillator quality direct affect the sound result. 75 Ohm impedance was chosen for the BNC (connectors and cables). 75 Ohm impedance is a common choice for impedance for digtal transfer in both the studios and also in the consumer products (SP/DIF). In the studios a need for longer distances of digital transfers between equipment is also done with balance signal of 110 Ohm (AES/EBU with XLR-connectors). A remark. MUTEC has its roots in the recording industry.

In the High End part of the HiFi community the master clocks have had a place for some years now but lately the great benefits of using a good master clock also has hit the HiFi in the less astronomic priced equipments. Ex. Audio-gd, Gustard.. In the consumer market an impedance of 50 Ohm is often used.

Exemples of the "heavier" brands of excellent master clocks are Mutec, Cybershaft, AfterDark and a few proprietary brands that are very expensive but not performs very good compared to the three earlier named here.

LHY OCK-1
For those who not know the LHY OCK-1, I can explain that it is a rather new, rather simple design with all the parts in one compartment. Its power is EMI-filtered, then a "naked" toroid transformer produces the lower voltages for the rectifiers, a couple of filtering capacitors from Nichicon/Wima. The filtered DC then fine regulates through two LT1963A for the OCXO with a spec of -110 dBC/1Hz(!). Three BNC outputs with an impedance of 50 Ohm (one with Square wave and two with Sine wave). All three outputs has their own buffer to minimize interference between them.
I bought this one on Aliexpress with a good discount. The LHY OCK-1 is doing a very nice job and is a baragin as it comes. It gives a very nice sound with a "wealthy bass"
as I wrote in an earlier post. I think a part of its "rich" bass is caused by its naked toroid transformer. It is rather common that You will get an lightly emphased bass with
them.

Transformers
About transformers. Toroids are very effective but has to be oversized to not run too hot/warm because they have a
hard time to get rid of its heat if pressured. C-core and R-cores are a bit less effective but can handle the heat emmission better with their better coupling between "Core to air" (=more exposed core surface to air). E-I core transformers are easy to build but produces an unnessesary big magnetic field around itself. Has to be shielded if used in these small signal applications.

As I wrote I bought the OCK-1 and it exceeded my expectations big time. For its price (USD350 in my case w. good discounts) it is a home run and it is much better than the Oscilloquartz (-90dBc/1Hz) it replaced. I can absolutely recommend the LHY OCK-1! It is almost surrealistic that a <-110dBc/1Hz OCXO is sold for around USD400-450. Gustard sells the C18 for USD1599.

LHY OCK-2
So we are now looking at the LHY OCK-2. Based on the very good experience with the LHY OCK-1 I couldn't resist to order the LHY OCK-2 when it was announced. I got it the 25'th of November and it is running with power on since. The LHY OCK-2 is a completely different animal compared to the OCK-1. The OCK-2 has been refined in every aspect. First the aluminum box itself. It is produced with CNC-milling machines from a solid block. The finnished box has three separated compartments which holds:

1. Power input/fuse, EMI-filter, UK made Talema transformer, two sets of very fast diodes for rectifications, first stage filtering (Capacitors). =>

2. Second stage filtering and voltage regulation with three independent LT3042's with PNP's (PNP transistors are added to rise the current) =>

3. Correct voltage of excellent quality for the OCXO (<-115dBc/Hz). A fine tuning of the output frequency(don't touch!). Six BNC outputs with three with Square wave and the other three with sine wave.
All the six BNC output have dip-switches with choice for 50 and 75 Ohm impedance and also dip switches for a choice to be connected or disconnected to GND (or ISO). In ISO-mode the receiving of time pulse device(s) GND is/are valid. All outputs also have independent buffers also in this OCK-2.

All these efforts added into the OCK-2 makes all the difference. The LHY OCK-2 is sold as a "Premium 10MHz Master Clock Generator" and it is completey true. I had no idea of how a <-115dBC71Hz OCXO could perform. Now I know.

Testing equipment used
I have tested to feed Audio-GD DI20HE (DDC/reclocker) + R7HE Mk2 (R2R dac), Gustard U18 (DDC) + R26 (R2R dac) and finally a Mutec MC3+USB (modded. Switched PSU trashed, now with an Ultra silent linear PSU). The Speaker rig is based on Audio-gd's Master Power amps. (Master 3+ 2 x Master 2's) and the HE1 as preamp. Speakers are Quad ESL-63's with Gradient dipole basses, SW-63's. Cables used are decent priced. A very transparent, high performing and revealing rig.

The OCK-1 give a cosy, warm feeling and I personally think that this sound charactar will make most music lovers happy. It will fill Your listening room/headphones with a pleasant, laid back, detailed sound. A soft yet detailed mid an highs and a warm rich bass as foundation. A very easy to like sound that also is a bit forgiving.

The Mutec REF10 SE120 is an expensive Master clock with all the qualities You could ask for. The sound is calm, the scene is wide, deep and high. Airy with very precise placing of instruments. Microdetails are easy to spot, even the tiniest, weakest sounds as a light cough from someone far back in the audience, or a turning of note page somewhere in the orchestra. The Mutec REF10 SE120 reveals it all. Not forgiving at all on less good recordings, but fabulouse on great ones.

LHY OCK-2
So the LHY OCK-2. -How does it perform?
A fast discovery is how much the quality of the PSU parts is affecting the the sound result. Known from earlier experiencies is that the "PSU is equal important as the OCXO itself". Meaning: You can ruin the performance of a OCXO with a low phase noise with a less ambitious PSU/internal shielding.
I can tell You that the LHY OCK-2 is more close to the Mutec REF10 SE120 than to the "Cool Cat" the LHY OCK-1. The precision in all the PSU stages in the OCK-2 along with its internal shielding is key I think.

The sound given with the LHY OCK-2 is less bassy or "a bit thinner" compared to the OCK-1. This is because of its all through higher precision in the design of the OCK-2 and choice of the higher quality of components combined. The sound is true and the bass isn't absent, it is just very precise. I have tried both GND and ISO and in my context and there is no audible difference in sound, which is of very high quality on both square and sine wave.

Summary.
The LHY OCK-2 is far better/different OCXO than the OCK1. The OCK-2 has a Hi End impact on the sound. It is for us the more demanding music listeners who want to have the full registre precision. The OCK-2 is just irresistable if You are on a clock hunt and this with Hi End-ambitions. I didn't think this performance was possible to get for less than USD3000. And with multiple outputs and the 50/75 Ohm of impedance chioces, it is almost unreal. The price asked for the LHY OCK-2, of USD749, is a bargain. No doubt. The competition is 4 to 6 times higher priced for the same level of performance.This LHY OCK-2 is up on the doorstep to the High End market.

I think that both these LHY OCK-x Master clocks will shake the market with these values of price/performance. They most likely will sell very well. I will keep mine for sure.

Advices.
If You are a critical music listener, (as I am) the LHY OCK-2 is the right/better choice for You.
If You are listening to pop/rock/electronica/background music, games, I think the LHY OCK-1 is the better choice.

I hope You are somewhat helped with this short review

Finally.
I bought my LHY OCK-2 from https://www.beatechnik.com/ and Alvin gave me a very positive response when I contacted him. I asked for a relevant Phase Noise plot for the LHY OCK-2. I hope it will sent to me in a short while so I can post it here.
Anyway, I ended up ordering the LHY SW-8 switch aswell. I like the build and the OCXO conducting the ethernet traffic to my streamers. Thanks Alvin.

Edit.
I have intentionally not touched the jitter aspect in the review because I don't have the equipment to measure it but a firm and clear texture in the bass registre can usually be explained with a measurement of a lower jitter level. (Jitter is irregularties in the digital domain causing audible distorsion in the analog domain) Maybe we can get a plot or a number also of the jitter level in the OCK-2 from Alvin.

/Jan
A week or so ago I was inquiring about the clock difference of OCK-1, OCK-2, SW-8.
OcK-1=SW-8, OCK-2 has the better clock!
BUT there is a SW-10 in the works which should have a 10-MHZ input.

Dec 5, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #113 of 3,397
A week or so ago I was inquiring about the clock difference of OCK-1, OCK-2, SW-8.
Interesting to hear about the prospect of an SW-10. I got the SW-8 last week (see linked post below) only had a chance for a quick listen as had to head out of town.

Initial impressions - it made a surprisingly big difference in my system, on top of the OCK-1. Everything more relaxed, more flow, more natural, blacker background - less background 'noise' I wasn't aware of till it was gone. The benefits of the SW-8 and OCK-1 are additive, from memory toggling the OCK-1 on/off (connected to R26 playing Roon/HQP over its internal NAA) with the SW-8 in chain brings more focus, resolution, dynamics and soundstage, but I reckon the OCK-1 itself benefits from the cleaner palette provided by the SW-8. Have left them running whilst away, will listen closer on my return tonight.

PS - thanks @JaMo for your nice review of the OCK-2 incl comparative to OCK-1. On top of the superior design and performance you describe, it would match the SW-8 aesthetically soo much better. Must. Resist. Temptation.
Well will you look at what turned up on the doorstep this arvo...

Yes, not quite the OCK-2 but its close relation the SW-8 in the same chassis and also sporting a Talema toroidal. It's beautifully built and weighty for its size. A bit of Jay's design trickle down starting to happen. Alas aesthetically it puts the OCK-1 in the shade and is a rather better match for its bigger brother. Hmm, what to do eh...? 😅

I started to remove the base plate then paused as a friable assembly sticker is over one of the screws. I've seen photos of the interior already but there's nothing like doing so in the real eh? Will likely do so later once I confirm it works.

Edit- I realise this going even further off topic so can move elsewhere if need be... maybe the Master Clock thread.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #114 of 3,397
FYI some more very positive OCK-2 feedback from over in the R26 thread...

So here are my initial impressions with the lhy ock2 clock.

The LAN is good, very good with the clock tied in to the R26 and I would've stayed with this were it not that the usb from server to u18>i2s>R26+cl9ck is just wider, deeper and more musical. LAN has that slight hint of digital which many interpret as detail. I know this goes against the popular consensus here but please take into account that my server's usb card is a jcat xe slotted into a sotm audiophile motherboard. Honestly if LAN was the only possibility I had, I'd be very happy with it.

Oh and I'd like to take the opportunity to shout out a Thanks to Alvin over in Singapore for clearing up some minor hiccups with the lhy ock2 shipping. Excellent service, highly recommend him.
As for the clock itself, best digital investment so far. Makes the R26 shine!

Dec 6, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #115 of 3,397
Guys - quick question for you. i have the beatecnik 50ohm cable mentioned earlier in this thread. I'd like to consider an upgrade cable but to DIY it myself. Has anyone any recommendations for a high quality coaxial cable that I can procure that might be an upgrade to the one I have?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 6, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #116 of 3,397
Guys - quick question for you. i have the beatecnik 50ohm cable mentioned earlier in this thread. I'd like to consider an upgrade cable but to DIY it myself. Has anyone any recommendations for a high quality coaxial cable that I can procure that might be an upgrade to the one I have?

Thanks in advance.
Harbour industries SS402

Dec 7, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #117 of 3,397
I've tried chinese rg400 from Ali and it was quite harsh even after couple of weeks. So decided to make my own cable. I've bought huber suchner eacon 4c and amphenol bnc plugs with berillium copper. It's 10minutes after i connected it and all i can say, I won't go back to rg400 anymore. Will see how it'll sound after burnin. 1m cable is something about 50eu and bnc plugs 20eu each. I see that ock-1 is really picky about power cable as well. Thought for clock it shouldn't matter, but boy i was wrong. So with the bmc cable i just tried to find good copper silver plated cable and guess this one worked out very well.
So what I want to say: just try to find bulk cables from respectable companies and try to make it yourself.

Dec 7, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #118 of 3,397
I have never heard of a switch with clock input. Does that really exist?

…but I am hyped about this OCK-2. Will they ever be available in europe?

Dec 7, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #119 of 3,397
Harbour industries SS402
Thanks for this - I have found this and some good bnc connectors. I am wondering how the gustard cable and the harbour industries cable compare (assuming connectors are of equal quality)?

I am keen to DIY but want to keep the quality high. Have looked at pure silver, but it's all 75ohm.

Dec 8, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #120 of 3,397

Users who are viewing this thread

Back