Massive Idiot
Mar 9, 2013 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

anoobis

500+ Head-Fier
So I'm (sort of!) happily listening to some music whilst getting on with my work, when suddenly the volume increases. Turns out some oaf (my boss) has decided to have a little play with the amp.

I reacted angrily and he was somewhat taken aback. He was 'just having a look', apparently. Right.

Point is, surely it is simply common sense that you don't up the volume on someone's headphones while they're listening to them? It doesn't take an audiophile to work that out, does it?

What a <insert suggestion here>!

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:
So I'm (sort of!) happily listening to some music whilst getting on with my work, when suddenly the volume increases. Turns out some oaf (my boss) has decided to have a little play with the amp.

I reacted angrily and he was somewhat taken aback. He was 'just having a look', apparently. Right.

Point is, surely it is simply common sense that you don't up the volume on someone's headphones while they're listening to them? It doesn't take an audiophile to work that out, does it?

I tried to think of a valid reason and couldn't. Your boss is a doofus.

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 13
It's a pity you're in the UK.  Here in the US, we're a bit more litigious than other countries.  That usually keeps stupid things like that from happening.

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #6 of 13
I think I would have suddenly come down with a severe headache and left work early for the day. Walk out holding your hands over your ears.....lol.

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
I tried to think of a valid reason and couldn't. Your boss is a doofus.

So true...

Quote:
i'd have broken a finger or two to get the point across....

Similar thoughts did cross my mind!

Quote:
I think I would have suddenly come down with a severe headache and left work early for the day. Walk out holding your hands over your ears.....lol.

I'm not sure how serious that suggestion was but unfortunately I have tight, immovable deadlines, so it would actually be a detrimental move. I like the idea though, should an appropriate opportunity arise :)

I just wanted to share really but if you've got any amusing anecdotes of monumentally idiotic behaviour, let's have them!

Mar 16, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #8 of 13
I'm trying to figure out exactly what he was "just having a look" at? Was he wondering if the volume knob actually turns? Does he understand the basic definition of "volume"? He's a twit - but he's also your boss - so I would vent here and then smile and laugh with him, NOT at him.

I am reminded of a VP I once worked for. We were at a department golf outing. The beer was flowing very freely, and the VP was being a complete @sshat to one of the managers - riding him constantly, making fun of every shot, etc, etc. The manager finally got fed-up and told the VP to **** or he would shove a 7-iron up his arse. Dead quiet. Nervous laughter. The game continued. About 2 months later, the manager was let go - The VP said "he just wasn't fitting in and we needed to go in a different direction" Was that fair? No way - but it happens, and you can't forget that the world doesn't have to be fair and bosses can sometimes be @sshats and get away with it. There is a word for those who don't believe that: unemployed. :p

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
I am reminded of a VP I once worked for. We were at a department golf outing. The beer was flowing very freely, and the VP was being a complete @sshat to one of the managers - riding him constantly, making fun of every shot, etc, etc. The manager finally got fed-up and told the VP to **** or he would shove a 7-iron up his arse. Dead quiet. Nervous laughter. The game continued. About 2 months later, the manager was let go - The VP said "he just wasn't fitting in and we needed to go in a different direction" Was that fair? No way - but it happens, and you can't forget that the world doesn't have to be fair and bosses can sometimes be @sshats and get away with it. There is a word for those who don't believe that: unemployed.
tongue.gif

But that's because the manager was an idiot.  He can't just throw out a blatant threat like that, it's gotta be veiled in humor.  Something like this would be better:

"Hey <******'s Name>, I got nuthin' but love for ya,  But if you keep it up Ima have to stop doing your work for ya..."  ::pause, then bellowing laughter::

I tend to be a little more scathing, so I'd probably say:  "And yet your wife still calls me god  Different strokes for different folks I guess..."

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

In my experience despite the "we are always very polite" stereotype office workers in the UK often harass each other in ways that would get them fired & blacklisted at North American companies.  Especially management harassing non-management.  All in the name of "good fun".

That's just from anecdotal observation and doesn't apply to everyone of course, but in all my business trips it has been a striking pattern.

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #12 of 13
You guys can listen to headphones at work?!?

....I'm still blow away by this....

and even if i could do it, I don't think I'd trust anyone in my office to respect my stuff....

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #13 of 13
I would have asked him if he was trying to deafen me, loud enough for other people to hear....and think "what a c*ck"

Quote:
You guys can listen to headphones at work?!?

....I'm still blow away by this....

and even if i could do it, I don't think I'd trust anyone in my office to respect my stuff....

I'm normally plugged in 8hrs a day.
We did have meeting once where management tried to ban headphones in the office....my comment to the manager was "So are you also going to ban the inane drivel I have to sit and listen to around me which impacts my ability to concentrate on my work?".
It was finally decided that people should listen at levels where their music couldn't be heard by other people...which is what the original management complaint was actually about. Didnt affect me as I use CIEMs anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back